Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

I'm reviving this because I found out that the original vampire is Caligula. An egregious mistake on an otherwise excellent review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

That's just the Fox Sports theme. They use it for the UFC too.

Never forget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4b_-TMdRIY

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Chip Hale(??) is the new D-Backs manager.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Harlock posted:

Chip Hale(??) is the new D-Backs manager.

Bench coach for the A's. Bob Melvin is generally pretty good so if he picked up any of that it seems like it could be a good hire. On the surface hiring an A's coach seems very contrary to the current D-Backs gritheartscraptoughness thing, but remember that Ron Washington used to work for Oakland too. And he's a grown man going by "Chip" which is scrappy as gently caress.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Ambassador of Funk posted:

Well BearDrivingTruck, looks like you get your wish.

Good lord, what have I done?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

MourningView posted:

Bench coach for the A's. Bob Melvin is generally pretty good so if he picked up any of that it seems like it could be a good hire. On the surface hiring an A's coach seems very contrary to the current D-Backs gritheartscraptoughness thing, but remember that Ron Washington used to work for Oakland too. And he's a grown man going by "Chip" which is scrappy as gently caress.

How gritty is Chip Kelly

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

We'll always have this, Chip.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

ZenVulgarity posted:

How gritty is Chip Kelly

Your instinct would say no because of the shotgun spread thing, but he runs the ball a ton, uses lots of old school wing-t plays, and refuses to let his players take a break ever. That all seems very gritty and scrappy to me.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Senf posted:

We'll always have this, Chip.

Please tell me they did a Coco Crisp cereal bowl promotion.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Rand alPaul posted:

Or that Milton Bradley had his own Monopoly version, partly because it's hard to get through a game of Monopoly without flipping out and saying "gently caress this!"

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I can't imagine how they're going to get Game 3 of the ALCS in tonight, it's been raining all day. It's supposed to switch over from steady rain to heavier rain at about the start of the game and last until midnight, then back to light rain until about 8AM.

So if they do get rained out I guess they'll probably end up having to play Thursday afternoon and end up with two day games in the series?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

frumpus
Nov 28, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

I can't imagine how they're going to get Game 3 of the ALCS in tonight, it's been raining all day. It's supposed to switch over from steady rain to heavier rain at about the start of the game and last until midnight, then back to light rain until about 8AM.

So if they do get rained out I guess they'll probably end up having to play Thursday afternoon and end up with two day games in the series?

MLB seems to not really know what they'll do yet. Or they aren't saying.

some news story posted:

In the event of a postponement, Major League Baseball could push the ALCS back by one day. Game 4 is scheduled to be played on Tuesday at 8:07 p.m. ET, with Game 5 (if necessary) scheduled for 4:07 p.m. ET on Wednesday. Thursday is a scheduled off-day.

more here: http://www.royals.mlb.com/news/article/98326990/rain-in-forecast-for-tonight-in-kansas-city

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
They should play a doubleheader IMO

Also, it's nice to see someone getting a manager job who isn't either a former manager or a former catcher. Guess it just remains to be seen whether he's going to be a gritty rear end in a top hat who gets angry at everyone in the world.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
Have we heard anything about how long Molina is going to be out for?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Have we heard anything about how long Molina is going to be out for?

Nope. He did not travel to SF with the team today, though who's to say he won't magically be in the lineup tomorrow?

The Cardinals do seem to be exhibiting a preference for Tony Cruz instead of AJP, though, which I find just baffling.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Rand alPaul posted:

Yeah.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I'm assuming he's out for the rest of the postseason and isn't going to go on the DL

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I forget the rule: if he's injured, can he be replaced immediately or do they have to wait until the end of the series?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

He can be replaced but he'd miss a potential World Series if they did that.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
I think one of the announcers last night said something that might have a bit of merit: what if Yadi has been hurt, but able to play through it until now?

I mean, it was pretty weird when they decided to carry three catchers into the NLCS. Sure, AJ's an extra bat on the bench, but he's not a terribly great one, and if that were the reason for taking him, then why take Cruz at all in either round? Cruz has been strictly worse than AJ has been.

But, if there were some concerning warning signs, then maybe they saw this injury to Molina coming, or at least they saw that it was enough of a concern that it would be wise to bring in another catcher just in case.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

quote:

Derrick Goold ‏@dgoold 11m11 minutes ago

Confirmed: Molina did make the flight to San Francisco. #Cardinals tried to hold charter to get him on the plane -- and did. #stlcards #NLCS
Hold on to your butts

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Reporters are weird. Miklasz said Yadi wasn't there. Now DGoold says he was.

Either way I have a tough time seeing Yadi playing given yesterday. Unless MM is somehow dumb enough to play him with instructions not to swing the bat.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."
If you ever start a sentence with "There's no way Mike Matheny would be dumb enough to...", just stop right there and think again

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

People talk about carrying a third catcher on your postseason roster like it's unthinkable unless you had some prior knowledge. I'll remind y'all that Ron Washington left off Koji Uehara for a third catcher and that worked out just... fine...

...:smithicide:

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

cards will make it to the world series and matheny will use the dh for yadi instead of the pitcher

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Scob posted:

cards will make it to the world series and matheny will use the dh for yadi instead of the pitcher

A strained oblique kind of prevents you from swinging a bat or running or much of anything though.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

People talk about carrying a third catcher on your postseason roster like it's unthinkable unless you had some prior knowledge. I'll remind y'all that Ron Washington left off Koji Uehara for a third catcher and that worked out just... fine...

...:smithicide:

Oh, I know that it's not completely insane to carry 3 catchers. But, it is usually done for reasons that make sense--the extra catcher might be a really good pinch hitter, or maybe he's also able to fill in at 1st in platoon situations, and so on. I'm not saying I know for sure that Molina has been hurt and the managers saw this injury as a distinct possibility. I'm only saying that it would explain why they added AJ to the NLCS roster when they certainly didn't seem to have any problem leaving him off of the NLDS roster.

If they were just interested in AJ's performance as a catcher and/or hitter, especially since he's a superior hitter than Cruz, then why have Cruz in there at all? What changed from one series to the next?

Scob posted:

I could almost see him actually doing that. Hell, I'd love to see it. It'd be hilarious. I wonder if it's allowed?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

ALCS Game 3 postponed :(

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

tarlibone posted:

I could almost see him actually doing that. Hell, I'd love to see it. It'd be hilarious. I wonder if it's allowed?

Unfortunately not. MLB's DH can only be used for the pitcher.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

zakharov posted:

Glad they went ahead and announced it at least, I was worried they were going to mess around and try to delay the start hoping it'll get better or something.

e: Or I assume they announced it, where are you seeing this?

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 13, 2014

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I'm going to say... Matheny won't be dumb enough to lose his DH by moving him into the field

....prior to the 7th inning of any game

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Grittybeard posted:

Glad they went ahead and announced it at least, I was worried they were going to mess around and try to delay the start hoping it'll get better or something.

e: Or I assume they announced it, where are you seeing this?

Just came in on Twitter via an MLB conference call.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

zakharov posted:

Extra days off gives the Royals plenty of time to turn back into a pumpkin.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Tuesday
STL/SF 4:07 EST
BAL/KC 8:07 EST

Wednesday
BAL/KC 4:07 EST
STL/SF 8:07 EST

A 1 PM local NLCS game is kind of criminal.

Harlock fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 13, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Harlock posted:

Wednesday

Thursday

You have the times backwards for Wednesday I think. But the game tomorrow is at 1 PM SF time, which is indeed pretty lovely.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

Harlock posted:

Wednesday

Thursday

No, the Giants game is at 4:07 tomorrow, but Wednesday and Thursday are both 8:00 PM EDT. The Royals and O's play at 4:07 on both Weds and Thurs.

http://m.mlb.com/postseason-schedule/?tcid=mm_mlb_schedule

edit: beaten soundly

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I thought today was Tuesday. Excuse my wishful thinking.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Harlock posted:

It was already scheduled for that time! Besides, the real crime is that all Royals games are not in prime time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Alan Trammell posted:

It was already scheduled for that time! Besides, the real crime is that all Royals games are not in prime time.

East

Coast

Bias

• Locked thread