Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Carlton Banks posted:

It would be pretty cool if both the Cards/Royals used their 1985 uniforms if they meet in the WS

You could have Ricky Horton throw the ceremonial First Pitch to George Brett, who softly hits the ball (the ceremonial First Grounder) with a bat made out of pure pine tar. And Don Denkinger could make the ceremonial First Blown Call At First Base!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Intruder posted:

The first Hunter class or the first person named Hunter? :v:

Either one works for me.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Harlock posted:

Y'all know you want Cartoon Bird officially licensed World Series merchandise

I don't know; I'm a little too old to properly enjoy Fredbird stuff. But, you know. Whatever floats your boat.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

AlliedBiscuit posted:

Yeah, the HEARTBREAK HOTEL.

:burn:

Correction.

Sick burn.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
On the Tonight Show, Jimmy Fallon just thanked KC's mascot (Slugger?) for looking like a lion had sex with Bart Simpson.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Edit: Wrong thread.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

alpha_destroy posted:

For anybody that is an NL only fan:

I'm a motherfucking happy camper tonight. I'll probably be hung-over for first pitch tomorrow, but I will manage.

'course you will. Glad you enjoyed the game.

We're talking some top-tier hooch, I hope?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
You can't always ignore someone.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

kalensc posted:

Kawalimus is pretty easy to understand:

- He likes bird-watching and bird-discussing;
- He is Chicken Little when it comes to his favorite sports teams;
- He prefers impossible odds so that he can presume the loss is inevitable and any success is a happy surprise, whereas with reasonable odds a defeat would crush his spirit;
- There is (unfortunately) no convincing him otherwise on points 2 and 3, but bird-chat is a fun read.

Uhm... wow, yeah, what a... weirdo... glad I'm not like that at all.... heh...

quote:

OK, so baseball. Why is it that playoff stats are always broken up by round and not cumulative? I could understand showing both "current series" and "all postseason" stats, but splitting the Wild Card game from the NLDS from the NLCS from the WS is just baffling, everything is small sample size statistical noise.

I agree. I'd prefer the stats reflect the whole season, with occasional mentions of specific splits when appropriate. For example, when the guy's up at the plate, tell me what he's done this year. But if there's a halfway decent reason, split it to paint a more interesting picture--if the bases are loaded, what are his career stats with bases loaded? If the player has been on a tear (or a slump) since the postseason began, show me his postseason-only stats. But on Gameday and everywhere else, I'm not a fan of the stats resetting after the season ends. I'm sure there's a wonderful reason they do this, but I'm not a fan. The sample size is often so small that mediocre hitters look like sluggers because they took 4 AB's against Detroit's bullpen or something.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

FairGame posted:

Would AJP leading the cards to the WS at age 38 be the most obnoxious thing he's done?

... I don't know, but you have to admit, it's be a good story for him.

One day, he's kicked off the Red Sox. "You're a lovely teammate, everyone hates you, so your career ends with you being fired." Later, Yadi goes down, and the Cards need a catcher who's better than Cruz. And AJ is available.

If the Cardinals win the World Series, he'll have the most improbably cool story to tell about how his major league career ended.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
I think one of the announcers last night said something that might have a bit of merit: what if Yadi has been hurt, but able to play through it until now?

I mean, it was pretty weird when they decided to carry three catchers into the NLCS. Sure, AJ's an extra bat on the bench, but he's not a terribly great one, and if that were the reason for taking him, then why take Cruz at all in either round? Cruz has been strictly worse than AJ has been.

But, if there were some concerning warning signs, then maybe they saw this injury to Molina coming, or at least they saw that it was enough of a concern that it would be wise to bring in another catcher just in case.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

People talk about carrying a third catcher on your postseason roster like it's unthinkable unless you had some prior knowledge. I'll remind y'all that Ron Washington left off Koji Uehara for a third catcher and that worked out just... fine...

...:smithicide:

Oh, I know that it's not completely insane to carry 3 catchers. But, it is usually done for reasons that make sense--the extra catcher might be a really good pinch hitter, or maybe he's also able to fill in at 1st in platoon situations, and so on. I'm not saying I know for sure that Molina has been hurt and the managers saw this injury as a distinct possibility. I'm only saying that it would explain why they added AJ to the NLCS roster when they certainly didn't seem to have any problem leaving him off of the NLDS roster.

If they were just interested in AJ's performance as a catcher and/or hitter, especially since he's a superior hitter than Cruz, then why have Cruz in there at all? What changed from one series to the next?

Scob posted:

cards will make it to the world series and matheny will use the dh for yadi instead of the pitcher

I could almost see him actually doing that. Hell, I'd love to see it. It'd be hilarious. I wonder if it's allowed?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
I don't know. I think what they were really trying to get across was that Molina's injury isn't a tear or something else that's really bad--something that would take Molina out for the remainder of the playoffs. I doubt they're thinking of using him as a defensive replacement.

I mean, there's a lot more to being a catcher in a big-league game than just a simple, very carefully controlled, game of catch. Pierzynski and/or Cruz would have to be pretty awful to chance putting Molina in as a defensive replacement, and while neither one of them is as good as Molina (because no one is), they're not terrible behind the plate. I don't think Matheny is stupid enough to put a hurt Yadi in to catch. And I say this unironically: Matheny may be a dummy, but he's also a former catcher. If anyone knows how a certain injury could cause a catcher to become a liability behind the plate, Matheny does.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Scob posted:

tony cruz sucks, aj sucks, yadi "bunting every ab" molina sucks

heres a timeline that shows all the walkoffs in postseason history that does not suck

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/base...71bee5175b.html

... they have David Freese hitting a walk-off home run in game 6 of the 2006 World Series vs. the Rangers.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Intruder posted:

But as opposed to being The Best Fans in Football, Rams fans have to be coached how to cheer

If your only experience with pro football was watching the Rams after the Greatest Show on Turf ended, trust me, you'd need to be coached on how to cheer, too.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

nerve posted:

Can't believe we're not hearing more about this Molina kid, those are some great stats.

He ain't too bad. But when it comes to framing pitches, he ain't no Lucroy.

Lucroy could frame a pitch for murder.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

FairGame posted:

Can you imagine Jarrod Dyson getting brought into a game, and Mike Matheny going "OH YEA?" and removing AJP and putting in Yadi as a defensive replacement?

It'd be hilarious.

Mike Matheny: inventor of the Pinch Catcher.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Zwabu posted:

If anyone has a photoshop of the Orioles cartoon bird shedding a single tear out of the corner of its goofy rolling eyes, post it.

Will this do?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
I know it's not exactly the most popular website around these parts, but in a column for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch website, Bernie Miklasz manages to say what we're all thinking regarding tonight's game.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Groucho Marxist posted:

Old people get mad about Denkinger and young people maybe joke about it but mostly don't care about a thing that happened when they didn't exist yet or were toddlers.

I really do think it's one of those "you had to be there" things. I was there... well, as "there" as I could be. Watching it live on my TV. We were close, oh so close. That out wouldn't have sealed the victory for the Cardinals, of course, but it was the beginning of a snowball, and we all saw it coming, even kids like me. It sounds stupid, but figure in that every Cardinals' fans' worst case scenario followed--the Royals win that game, then slaughter the Cardinals in game 7--and it only reinforces the assumption that the bad call started it all.

It's like a dribbler to first going five-hole on Buckner, or Everybody Do the Bartman: the play itself doesn't force the entire series to end the wrong way, but it is the catalyst, the erection of the bullshit lightning rod that later, everyone can point at and say, "that's where it all began." It's illogical, but it's pretty predictable. I'm sure every team has a story like this.

But, if you weren't there, then it's little more than a historical footnote. "So, there was a bad call. Wasn't the first bad call in baseball, and wouldn't be the last. It wasn't even the 3rd out in the last inning of the last game, and the go-ahead run didn't score on that play. So what?"

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

The_Hat posted:

Is there a lot of antagonism between the fanbases of the Cardinals and Royals? Just wondering how that possible series would play out in Missouri, because I would think that a Cubs/White Sox World Series would be drat near insufferable in Chicago.

Other than your standard "Cardinals fans are terrible" stuff (which isn't specific to the Royals), there's not a lot of antagonism between the fanbases that I know of. Depending on where you are in Missouri, you might never meet a fan of the other team, and since they're in different leagues, there's just not much to get upset over. Contrast this with Chicago (or New York), where anywhere you go, you're likely going to come across some fans of the other team. Get those fans all excited because of a possible championship, and it gets old fast.

I wonder where the Royals Kindgom fades into Cardinal Nation? People in that area might have some antagonism.

Even the old-time fans like me who remember 1985 don't really hate the Royals as a team, much less their fans. We either accept the fact that the blown call didn't cause the Royals to win, or we blame the umpire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

zakharov posted:

Fire Mike Matheny while he's walking to his car

My wife, who is (was) a huge Matheny fan because OMG HE'S SO loving HOT GOD drat, just said that she doesn't think Matheny's time with the Cardinals will last much longer.

• Locked thread