Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roelosaurus
Jun 5, 2014

Tempeh looks cool, and it should taste like it, but I can't really get it to taste good.
Salt, pepper, garlic,... no spice is helping it.
Ketchup, mayonaise, mustard,... sauce isn't really doing it.
Baking, pan-frying, grilling,... whatever I try it just doesn't cut it.

Tell me how to do tempeh!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Make a light marinade with some soy sauce and pan fry or grill it. Then use as the protein in a sandwich with loads of tomato, peppers, onions, lettuce. Mayo whatever you like.

Crumble into chili or soups

Make some taco style seasoning, crumble tempeh into a pan and make tacos.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Tempeh is good, tastes like mushrooms. Flavor it like mushrooms.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

ColdPie posted:

Make a light marinade with some soy sauce and pan fry or grill it. Then use as the protein in a sandwich with loads of tomato, peppers, onions, lettuce. Mayo whatever you like.

It tastes like bacon if you do this, add a little smoked salt, smoked paprika or similar flavour and use it wherever you'd use bacon. Or crumble it up and treat it like you would treat minced beef.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Roelosaurus posted:

Tempeh looks cool, and it should taste like it, but I can't really get it to taste good.
Salt, pepper, garlic,... no spice is helping it.
Ketchup, mayonaise, mustard,... sauce isn't really doing it.
Baking, pan-frying, grilling,... whatever I try it just doesn't cut it.

Tell me how to do tempeh!

Like most soy proteins it's going to taste like whatever you cook it in. The light soy marinade is a great suggestion, and then blacken it with cajun seasoning in a quick pan fry (~60s per side over medium-high heat) in whatever fat or fat substitute you prefer. I don't particularly care for it any other way, but that way I dig it on a salad, in a sandwich, or just on its own.

Also just in general make sure it's about 1/2" thick or less to avoid having too much of a bland-tasting center.

bigDninja
Jul 31, 2011
I generally throw it in a pan and saute it with olive oil and salt/pepper Italian-theme spices. Let it get a good deep brown crust. Next a bit of red onion in the pan at the end helps take some of the play-dough taste away. At this point I really enjoy it in a salad.

ann disaster
Jan 27, 2007
Garbage and dogs are not part of a balanced diet.
We coat it in hummus and pan fry it, then use it as the protein in weirdo vegan "reubens" with avocado, sauerkraut and Thousand Island on rye. So delicious.

Tekman Bio
Aug 18, 2004

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Like most soy proteins it's going to taste like whatever you cook it in. The light soy marinade is a great suggestion, and then blacken it with cajun seasoning in a quick pan fry (~60s per side over medium-high heat) in whatever fat or fat substitute you prefer. I don't particularly care for it any other way, but that way I dig it on a salad, in a sandwich, or just on its own.

Also just in general make sure it's about 1/2" thick or less to avoid having too much of a bland-tasting center.

This is always good. I like to cook it with a little oil and soy sauce, leave it in a cast iron pan and leave it alone as long as possible.

Also - Tempeh Cakes are good and please the tempeh-disliker in my household.

http://www.theppk.com/2009/04/chesapeake-tempeh-cakes/

Another good one is putting it in a beer-marinnade and using it for tacos -

Baja Tempeh Tacos (From Veganomicon - taken from this website - http://trixdacat.blogspot.com/2010/06/baja-tempeh-tacos-veganomicon.html)

Ingredients

Taco Slaw:

Finely shredded cabbage (10-12 oz bag or 3 heaping cups)
1 carrot, grated
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 pickled jalapenos, diced finely
1 tsp salt
fresh grated black pepper, to taste

Lime Crema:

3/4 cup plain soy yogurt
3 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp grapeseed oil
1/3 cup cilantro leaves
1/2 tsp salt

Tempeh

Chile-Beer Marinade:
3/4 cup Mexican beer, pilsner or ale style
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tbsp peanut oil
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp lime juice
2-3 tsp chile powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 (8 oz) package tempeh

12-16 white corn tortillas

Directions

To make the slaw, mix all the ingredients in a large glass or plastic bowl. Cover it loosely with plastic wrap, and press the wrap down on top of the slaw, then put it in the fridge.

To make the lime crema, blend all the ingredients together in a blender until smooth. Add more salt or lime to taste. Pour it into something airtight and let it chill in the fridge for an hour.

To make the marinade, mix all the ingredients together and pour a something flat dish.

To prepare the tempeh, bring around 2 qt of water to a boil. Slice the tempeh lengthwise into 3 pieces, then slice each of those in half. When the water starts boiling, add the tempeh and lower the heat to simmer for 10 minutes. Use tongs to remove the tempeh and place them in the marinade dish for about an hour, flipping them occasionally.

Preheat a grill pan or skillet to medium-high and add enough peanut oil to coat the skillet. Grill or fry each side of the tempeh for about 5 minutes, spooning marinade over the tempeh about 30 seconds before you flip it. Remove the tempeh and slice into thin strips.

Next, heat your tortillas in a skillet over medium for about 30 seconds on each side. I'd recommend using 2 tortillas per taco unless you plan to be skimpy on the toppings.

Now make yourself a taco assembly line.

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
Tempeh has issues, like Natto without the "snot" factor.

Its always going to have a certain taste, unless you completely destroy it.

You like it or you dont, really.

I like both.

pizza cat
Jul 30, 2011
Make these awesome and delicious tempeh potstickers (http://herbivoracious.com/2010/03/vegetarian-potstickers-gyoza-recipe.html). It's the best way to eat tempeh. I also like slicing it thin, marinating it in worchestershire, soy sauce, liquid smoke, maple syrup and tons of black pepper, then frying it to make tasty smoked tempeh strips.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Thug Kitchen has some recipes that use tempeh. Their new cookbook also has a pozole that uses it.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Steam it first. Put like an inch or two of water in a microwave safe dish. Throw your tempeh in there. Microwave it for like five minutes. It'll be ready to take up whatever else you're cooking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

dino. posted:

Steam it first. Put like an inch or two of water in a microwave safe dish. Throw your tempeh in there. Microwave it for like five minutes. It'll be ready to take up whatever else you're cooking.

This. When my ex went vegan, we lucked into a fuckton to tempeh. While I should theoretically like it, never did. Until we steamed it, that made it take up the flavors so much better. Basically made it cook closer to tofu as opposed to being a bad-tasting mushroom.

• Locked thread