Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

sword_man.gif posted:

they put twewy in the 3ds kingdom hearts because they're a bunch of fuckin teases

also shiki's design looks weird as a 3d model

jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
with that said, if somehow the game was actually good a twewy set in a completely different fasion hub (paris or new york or something) could be really awesome

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

darealkooky posted:

the ipad version is really bad, finish the DS version instead

Okay but, I think this is important, I don't have a DS I have an XBone and an iPad.

Not trolling.

The iPad version is okay (but no puck shenanigans I guess) and I own it so I better make the most of it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

The iPad version is okay (but no puck shenanigans I guess)

:puckout:

sword_man.gif posted:

they put twewy in the 3ds kingdom hearts because they're a bunch of fuckin teases

:barf:

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Okay but, I think this is important, I don't have a DS I have an XBone and an iPad.

Not trolling.

The iPad version is okay (but no puck shenanigans I guess) and I own it so I better make the most of it.

If ur options are play on iPad or buy a ds then buy a making GBS threads day you tard

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

I want to believe (that SE will make a sequel and not gently caress it up)

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
they will make a sequel, and they will gently caress it up

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

stoutfish posted:

they will make a sequel, and they will gently caress it up

I think I'd rather have a sequel they hosed up than none at all. Also with all this futuristic next generation hardware they could even make models for all the different and no doubt horrible clothing combinations you could make in the game!

Knowing Japan it was likely more just because they didn't want to have to design around such a restriction, but making the clothes not gender-specific was a neat move.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Cake Attack posted:

twewy owns and is the best game square ever made

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

darealkooky posted:

with that said, if somehow the game was actually good a twewy set in a completely different fasion hub (paris or new york or something) could be really awesome

one strength of twewy was how local the game felt, I feel like unless you got people who really knew new York or paris you wouldn't get that in 2wy

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

sword_man.gif posted:

didn't her character arc involve her having weird hosed up body image issues?

it's been a long time

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

PleasingFungus posted:

it's been a long time

neku and joshua have the same basic frame with the absurdly tiny waist, just somewhat bulkier overall. i think the girl reaper has it too?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

PleasingFungus posted:

it's been a long time

Sort of, I guess? Like it wasn't the "Oh I'm so fat" puking everywhere while consisting entirely of bones type of body issues, but her appearance in the game is actually that of her friend who wears the clothes she makes. Shiki's actual appearance is just kind of normal and I guess anime ugly. In the end what she really looks like was actually important to her, since the reaper game makes you lose something important thing to you. So it's body issues in that she wishes she looked more like her friend, but kind of not because her real appearance was still most important to her.

Though bear in mind I haven't actually played this game in years, so I might be misremembering.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
it's more that she wishes she literally WAS her friend because her friend is so cool and neat and poo poo and then she sees that friend in the real world talking about how much she needs shiki and realizes that she should be herself and not what's-her-name

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Effectronica posted:

neku and joshua have the same basic frame with the absurdly tiny waist, just somewhat bulkier overall. i think the girl reaper has it too?

hanekoma also has the super wasp waist, and pi-face has a more normal hourglass figure. i guess they wanted to make the slim characters more obvious?

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
it's an art style that was never intended to be done in three dimensionals

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

sword_man.gif posted:

it's an art style that was never intended to be done in three dimensionals

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

it's pretty strongly implied that shiki killed herself which is a really hosed up thing to just gloss over

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
twewy 2 probably should have returning characters only in cameos, and should be in, like, ginza or ikebukuro or something so that there's the locality that you wouldn't get with the new york garment district + midtown or the 1st arrondisement of paris

darealkooky posted:

it's pretty strongly implied that shiki killed herself which is a really hosed up thing to just gloss over

for that matter, how did the young couple get into the game?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

darealkooky posted:

implied? i thought she out-right said it at one point but i haven't played it in a couple years

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

closest they say is that real shiki saying she "died in an accident"

as for the young couple, probably some yakuza business gone bad or something.

the reason I said a sequel should be somewhere else is because it gives an excuse for them to totally adjust how the game (both the story concept and the actual videogame) work to keep things fresh, since the secret reports mention that joshua and hanekoma aren't the end all be all of every game all over the world

the point about japanese people not knowing foreign cities in-depth is a fair one, but there are plenty of examples of japanese people doing incredible amounts of detail into putting foreign cities into their media. or they could just loving ask.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 11, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

darealkooky posted:

the point about japanese people not knowing foreign cities in-depth is a fair one, but there are plenty of examples of japanese people doing incredible amounts of detail into putting foreign cities into their media. or they could just loving ask.

ace attorney doing weird poo poo with the localization to get things like a village in the mountains that believes in japanese spirits to work out when it's set in "los angeles"

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

darealkooky posted:

closest they say is that real shiki saying she "died in an accident"

as for the young couple, probably some yakuza business gone bad or something.

the reason I said a sequel should be somewhere else is because it gives an excuse for them to totally adjust how the game (both the story concept and the actual videogame) work to keep things fresh, since the secret reports mention that joshua and hanekoma aren't the end all be all of every game all over the world

i mean that shibuya in twewy is a lived-in sort of environment, because square is hq'd there. setting it in one of the other major tokyo shopping centers would give it more of that familiarity than even setting it in osaka would, because of all the day-to-day life stuff. i have no doubt that square could turn out a really cool paris or new york or florence, though.

and i think that they should avoid making direct sequels because, well, neku's story is done, joshua's story is done, and hanekoma's the main lingering thread left over

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Effectronica posted:

and i think that they should avoid making direct sequels because, well, neku's story is done, joshua's story is done, and hanekoma's the main lingering thread left over

i wouldn't want a direct sequel, i mean it'd be neat if we got like i.e what neku grew up to do considering his story and all that as some bonus stuff but another twewy game should have a new protag and stuff

except joshua obv since he'd still be the composer if they did it in shibuya again

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

sword_man.gif posted:

i wouldn't want a direct sequel, i mean it'd be neat if we got like i.e what neku grew up to do considering his story and all that as some bonus stuff but another twewy game should have a new protag and stuff

except joshua obv since he'd still be the composer if they did it in shibuya again

Yeah I agree that a direct sequel wouldn't work well. Having Neku and crew be just cameos would be fine, or even having one or more of them take a sort of Hanekoma-esque role, though not as directly (maybe people who survive the game can talk to but not interact with those in it?) While the characters themselves were cool, the bigger strength of the game is the atmosphere it created I think, and the soundtrack, art style, naming of things, etc. were the major part of that. If they could keep all that intact or improved upon, having a new cast wouldn't be a problem at all.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
One of the secret reports mentions that people who win the reapers game tend to be more self-actualized from the experience or whatever and often go on to be successful musicians, artists, and etc. So a reference to like "Shiki's new fashion line" would make sense even if it was in another city.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Concordat posted:

One of the secret reports mentions that people who win the reapers game tend to be more self-actualized from the experience or whatever and often go on to be successful musicians, artists, and etc. So a reference to like "Shiki's new fashion line" would make sense even if it was in another city.

yeah that's what i meant

neku would probably be an artist or musician and could be referenced in the flavor text of the shop-purchased music for example

he could also have a line of postgame pins because anything designed by neku would be Powerful

sword_man.gif fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Oct 11, 2014

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Finding Neku's own personal line of actually good Gatito pins would be cool

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Beats by Beat.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

LSTB posted:

Reisen > Tewi

what the

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The final boss fight wasn't particularly exciting though

but that was maybe more because I was too busy :psyduck:ing all over what happened in the previous scene

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The final boss was kinda boring but it had neat gimmicks.

And the dude you fought before that was a neat fight. I liked his timestop gimmick.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

What was Rhyme's entry fee?

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Seshoho Cian posted:

her dreams for her future

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Seshoho Cian posted:

Her own ambitions and desires, save for wanting to help and protect Beat. Beat's entry fee was Rhyme's memories. So basically Rhyme is the most screwed over character in video game history.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

That is real hosed up

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I honestly remember nothing about the gameplay of this game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mabels big day posted:

it was good

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp0viroPHgk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

mabels big day posted:

I would kill to play the game fresh again. Take advantage if your lovely memory.

• Locked thread