Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

I get paid to stab people with sharp objects.
Does anyone use the Tabletop Simulator on Steam or is it the saddest thing ever?

In theory paying 15 bux for a tabletop and getting all the games free on the workshop is awesome. In practice I can see this being really bad. Anyone have any experience actually playing games on this thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
It's pretty good I guess, if only because there isn't anything else worth using out there.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

It's good if you have other people who have it to play it with, and don't mind 15 minutes of getting used to the controls.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Zen sex robot bought me this game and stacking things with physics is v.fun

You also take the rpg monsters and smash them into each other

Game needs like blocks or legos or something though

Thanks zsr

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

ForeverSmug posted:

Zen sex robot bought me this game and stacking things with physics is v.fun

You also take the rpg monsters and smash them into each other

Game needs like blocks or legos or something though

Thanks zsr

it definitely has blocks, hth

I'd love to get a game together. We could play Cards Against Humanity or Illuminati or something

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

it's pretty good OP, especially the last couple of updates. really made playing a lot more board games easier.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

vassal is not as good but actually has good games on it

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
dildo mod out yet?

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Noose Induce posted:

dildo mod out yet?

not quite

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=276055698

but we're getting there

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

vassal is not as good but actually has good games on it

I do prefer vassal for wargames. I've played ASL, warhammer, warmachine, and battlefleet gothic on vassal and in almost every circumstance it was actually easier to track mechanics than in real life. It wasn't better than real life though, just because I actually enjoy the meatspace company of other nerds but it's great for testing army builds without having to buy anything or for dicking around when no one has the time or gas money to leave the house.

Edit: I am surprised to see the positive reaction here too! I figured I would be mocked mercilessly for trying to play virtual checkers because I have no friends. Thanks!

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

OkieMurse posted:

I do prefer vassal for wargames. I've played ASL, warhammer, warmachine, and battlefleet gothic on vassal and in almost every circumstance it was actually easier to track mechanics than in real life. It wasn't better than real life though, just because I actually enjoy the meatspace company of other nerds but it's great for testing army builds without having to buy anything or for dicking around when no one has the time or gas money to leave the house.

Edit: I am surprised to see the positive reaction here too! I figured I would be mocked mercilessly for trying to play virtual checkers because I have no friends. Thanks!

i have actually played solitaire on it. primo sadboy of the 21st century right here

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

i scanned metal gear solid risk into this amongst other things if imps want t o play

http://steamcommunity.com/id/lljkSMA/

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

StabMasterArson posted:

i scanned metal gear solid risk into this amongst other things if imps want t o play

http://steamcommunity.com/id/lljkSMA/

You are a god among men

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

for the sort of games i like, vassal is better :grognard:

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

Tekopo posted:

for the sort of games i like, vassal is better :grognard:

It clips all your chits for you!

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
DAYUM! you fellas wanna play some... poke-her?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i love you super sonico

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

OkieMurse posted:

It clips all your chits for you!
you say that like its a good thing :confused:

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
we should at least play Sonic Monopoly or some garbage like that, if not StabMasterArson's MGS Risk

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
i have it and i played candy land and i played the teenage mutant ninja turtles board game and i played munchkin

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Schnedwob posted:

DAYUM! you fellas wanna play some... poke-her?

its cool bc if you j/o you wont stain the cards

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

i have it and we tried to play candyland and someone got mad and flipped the board over

just like real life

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

bonzibuddy64 posted:

i have it and i played candy land and i played the teenage mutant ninja turtles board game and i played munchkin

:rip:

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

how is it that the games are free? is this just some piracy grey zone that nobodys caught on to yet or what

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

Probably. I think they actually don't really have much to worry about though.

As far as I know these virtual tabletops don't really enforce rules or teach you how to play or anything, so you kinda have to have the game anyways or at least a PDF of the rulebook. They're just a virtual space where you can move pieces around. If anything as a developer I would encourage a quality skin of my game in virtual tabletops - most of my Games Workshop / Privateer Press purchases were because of experiences on Vassal. I don't personally think people playing your game online takes away from your potential customer base for the real game.

Edit: Games Workshop did catch on to the vassal modules of their game though and that didn't stop them from being developed, even when GW is the most litigious game company I know of. If they couldn't stop it, I don't know if anyone could.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

OkieMurse posted:

Probably. I think they actually don't really have much to worry about though.

As far as I know these virtual tabletops don't really enforce rules or teach you how to play or anything, so you kinda have to have the game anyways or at least a PDF of the rulebook. They're just a virtual space where you can move pieces around. If anything as a developer I would encourage a quality skin of my game in virtual tabletops - most of my Games Workshop / Privateer Press purchases were because of experiences on Vassal. I don't personally think people playing your game online takes away from your potential customer base for the real game.

that doesnt make it legal

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

elf help book posted:

that doesnt make it legal

I would imagine that if a company didn't like it, they could tell Steam and it'd be off the workshop right away.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i remember seeing somebody packaging up full albums on request as music workshop downloads for eu4 lol

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

I think it's definitely a grey area.

The game devs and Steam themselves are clean because all they did was release a table with physics and customizable cards.

Some mod-makers claim "fair use" but they don't know what they are talking about and that would never fly. Likely most companies don't give a poo poo or welcome the attention, and the ones that do care will get theirs taken down.

Perhaps a wargamer from Vassal could weigh in here? They've been doing free online versions of board games for a lot longer than TS.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Is there a steam workshop thingy for it where you can use it as an actual tabletop and set up fancy folded napkins and fine china and eat a nice strip steak with roasted potatoes?

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

There should be.

And then you could eat your potatoes in silence while listening to your multiplayer partner chew each bite of their steak 1000 loving times until finally you scream at them that you can't stand to be in the same room with them for one more loving second and then

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

i watched a stream of someone playing card games on this and it looked awkward as gently caress

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

No Such Thing posted:

Is there a steam workshop thingy for it where you can use it as an actual tabletop and set up fancy folded napkins and fine china and eat a nice strip steak with roasted potatoes?

Looking for a "dinner with waifu" mode, eh?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
no caylus no buy

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
How the gently caress is it legal for people to essentially copy D&D and make it available for free via this game? Why isn't Wizards suing the poo poo out of the devs?

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

How the gently caress is it legal for people to essentially copy D&D and make it available for free via this game? Why isn't Wizards suing the poo poo out of the devs?

d&d is textbooks and the workshop mods do not include the textbooks they are just miniatures and board pieces.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
the munchkin mod actually did get taken down but you can still download it from like. nexusmods, and you can still play it online.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

bonzibuddy64 posted:

the munchkin mod actually did get taken down but you can still download it from like. nexusmods, and you can still play it online.
not that youd want to, but you can

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

bonzibuddy64 posted:

d&d is textbooks and the workshop mods do not include the textbooks they are just miniatures and board pieces.

Oh okay. Here I was hoping you could smash the board with a virtual copy of your Player's Handbook when the GM is being a oval office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

no caylus no buy

You're right, there isn't a Caylus!

I may have to look into how easy it is to make a module on my next day off.

• Locked thread