Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Massasoit posted:

Reading the OP makes me a bit concerned about my power supply.

I have this power supply, which I got in 2008
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703005&RandomID=9690274781195420141011160758

I used the same power supply when I rebuilt my computer 2 years ago, with the following specs:
i5-3570K
ASRock Z77 Pro4
EVGA 760 (Was RMA for 660TI)

My question is, should I replace my power supply, being that it is older than 5 years (which is suggested time frame to replace?)
You probably should've replaced it already :ohdear: I replace mine like every year or 2 just out of habit now. If yours is over 5 years old, it's very likely going to die on you sooner than later. Spend the $150 or however much a good power supply is and rest easy knowing you're keeping your computer (and your house) safe (from burning down).

Massasoit posted:

Okay, well next question is, what power supply should I get? I don't OC.
I'd recommend a Seasonic, because I've had great experiences with them and I've built PCs for friends with them and my friends have no complaints about them either.

The X650 Gold is what I'm using now. It's $130, modular and I have zero complaints about it.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

katlington posted:

Can somebody tell me what is the best gpu on the market at the moment for playing games 1920*1200 in the $250 price range? Thanks.
GeForce 770 GTX is now in the $299 price range, I think thanks to the 970 coming out, and has been great for playing games at maxed out settings at 1920x1200 for me ever since I've had it.

The 970 is better, of course, but it'll run you $50 or $100 more, assuming you can even find one in stock.

A 760 is more in the $200-$250 price range, but that's more for maxing out at 1080p.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 26, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

"Intel Celeron processor" isn't very promising. Web browsing and Word/Excel, yeah. No clue how it'll handle videos, though. Probably not very well but I could be wrong.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Fuuuuuuuck, I wish I had an extra $200 to spend on this. I've been meaning to upgrade my 120GB SSD for a long time :negative:

I already beat Far Cry 4, though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I have a 120GB SSD and have for like 2 years. It's definitely doable, but you have to janitor your drive way more than you would have to if you had, say, a 250 or 500GB SSD. Just get a bigger one and spare yourself the hassle. I definitely feel the need to upgrade when I get the money.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

afkmacro posted:

Newegg's got a nice deal on the 850 pro 256GB. Are the pros worth it over evos for gaming?
What kind of a deal? I'm looking to buy that exact model later in the week, but I went to the site and checked it out and it didn't seem to be any cheaper than Amazon.

Do you mean that free Assassin's Creed Unity code that's included with it?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Factory Factory posted:

Not noticeably. The 840 EVO reads pretty quickly, to the point where both drives are essentially bottlenecked by the SATA interface.
So I know this was regarding the EVO, but should I save some money by buying the 840 Pro vs. the 850 Pro? I'd be stepping up from a 2012 128GB Patriot Pyro, and I used AnandTech's SSD benchmarking tool and it looks like either of them would be a huge step up from what I've got, but the gap between the 840/850 is much less drastic.

If so, I'm gonna grab the 840 Pro 512GB and be set for the next few years.

Or should I just get the 512GB version of the 850 Evo instead of the Pro? That one's cheaper than both the 512GB 850 Pro and 840 Pro.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Dec 14, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rexxed posted:

It probably depends if you push an unusually large amount of data across your disks. For most folks the EVO line is the best price/performance. The Pro lasts a little longer and is a little bit faster overall, but they both max out the sata bandwidth usually. Unless you plan to keep the SSD forever an EVO is probably the best choice unless the Pro goes on sale for a similar price to an EVO.

From this article you can see that the 840 EVO has a very long lifespan assuming normal use (the article actually uses higher than average figures) and it doubles every time the capacity goes up (8, 16, 32, 48, 64 years).
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7173/samsung-ssd-840-evo-review-120gb-250gb-500gb-750gb-1tb-models-tested/3

Oh awesome, thanks :) I don't usually push that much data on my current SSD. I mean, I don't have enough room to, really. But even if I got a 512GB SSD and had the room to do it, I still don't think I would push it that hard. So I'll probably go for the 850 EVO. I've done alright with a 128GB SSD for the past 2.5 years or so, so if I got one that was 512GB, I'm sure it would last me even longer.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Khagan posted:

I don't think I've seen a release date for the 850 EVO so I'm assuming it'll be out some time during CES 2015 or later.
On Amazon, it says the 256GB is available for pre-order and will ship on 12/20, and with the 500GB/1TB, it's 12/26.

Although NewEgg seems to already be shipping the 256GB but their release date for the 120/500/1TB is 12/22 :confused:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Quick question: I'm looking to get an internal 5.25" card reader. Is there a consensus on which one is the absolute best, or are they all pretty much the same?

I have this Rosewill model in my Amazon cart. It's got mostly good reviews and has just about everything I could want: 4 USB 2 ports, 2 USB 3 ports, SDHC/SDXC reader and Compact Flash (should I ever need that).

Is that one acceptable or is there a better one I should be looking for?

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Dec 15, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sir Unimaginative posted:

3) Card readers break down at a prodigious rate (or at least they used to) and replacing an external card reader is a lot less pain in the rear end.
Ah, okay. So just getting a USB 3 one like this is a safer bet?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sir Unimaginative posted:

It's what I have and it's less bad than any other I've seen (that isn't :retrogames:professional grade:retrogames:, anyway). Yeah I'd go for it again.
Cool. It's cheaper, easier to install, and does the same things, so that makes it more appealing. I'll go for that one. Thanks :)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I made the horrible mistake of getting a motherboard with a Killer NIC at the very beginning of this year. Would not stop bluescreening on me. Fortunately I was able to return it and get an ASUS board with an Intel NIC. But yeah, if you have a board with a Killer NIC on it and you're able to return it, return it as soon as possible, get a board with another brand of NIC and count your blessings that you were able to.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Can you even install Windows on an 8GB drive :psyduck:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Megaman15 posted:

Ok im a complete fool in pc building imo but would this be a good pc build?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LpBzGX
Some stuff that jumps out at me right away:
  • You really won't need 32GB of RAM, or even 16GB for most stuff. 8 will do you fine. You won't notice any performance increase in games by upping your RAM past 8GB. 16 is really nice to have if you're doing video/audio/photo editing or something like that. If you aren't doing that stuff, 8 is perfectly okay for you.
  • A 1000W PSU is overkill. That's not super pricy for a PSU or anything, but you'll never use that much power.
  • If you're sure you want that mouse and keyboard for a specific purpose, keep them. But otherwise, you could probably cut off a good $100 by going with much cheaper alternatives to both.
  • A 128GB SSD will hold Windows, some programs and a couple games just fine, but if you go with a larger SSD, you won't have to janitor it nearly as much. Trust me. I have a 128GB SSD and have for like 2 years. It's worked, but I bought a 500GB SSD to replace it because I'd really rather not worry about whether or not my drive is gonna fill up. And games are easily between like 30 and 50 gigs each now, so if you're building this for gaming, you're really going to want either a bigger SSD or to put them all on that 2TB HDD you've got.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Dec 25, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The shoebox gaming PC rides again! The EVGA GTX 980 still has plenty of room to spare. :haw:

Good god. Did your hands get cut up to pieces while you were building that?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I am not a book posted:

What's a good AMD proc
No such thing :eng101:

Dammit, why isn't this in the thread title anymore?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just bit the bullet and ordered a Fractal Define R5 in black (the windowless model) from NewEgg. I've had a Corsair Carbide Air 540 for like a year now, and while I like the internal layout of it, I wanted something quieter, thinner and something sleeker and less exposed-looking.

Please tell me I made a good choice :ohdear:

I'm probably gonna sell my Air 540 on Craigslist once I get my build situated in the R5 anyway. I've been able to sell a couple cases on there before for a decent amount of money, so hopefully I'll be able to flip this one too.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Lord Bude posted:

It's an excellent case, although if you plan to have multiple graphics cards you should probably add a side fan.
Sweeeeet. Nah, just one 770 for me at the moment. I may upgrade to a 970 one of these days (that MSI Gaming one, right?), but I'll only need one of them. I'm running a single monitor at 1920x1200.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I built my Define R5 build earlier. It took way longer than every other case I've owned because it doesn't really have a toolless design. Like, I had to screw almost everything in myself as opposed to previous cases I've had where I could just slide poo poo in and have it lock in and be good to go.

And like with my hard drive, it took forever for me to try to figure out how to attach it to one of the slide-out drive bays. I tried every different kind of screw they included and nothing really locked into place. I think I ended up having to use screws from my previous case to really secure it. And I tried for like half an hour to get my 840 EVO to fit in that little tray behind the motherboard plate, but I think it's too big or something. It wouldn't fit no matter how I tried fitting it in there. So I just ended up putting it in the bottom drive cage (I took out the top cage immediately upon unboxing the case).

And I think I lost one of the little clasp pieces for the door of the case when I unscrewed it to try and change the side it opens on. I looked everywhere for it and can't find it so far :(

So I was kinda aggravated with how much more time and effort I had to spend building it than with most other cases, so I went out to take my mind off it, but before going out, I powered it on once to test it out. Holy poo poo, that bitch is silent :circlefap:

Despite being a little more difficult to build in than other cases, I'm pretty sure it's gonna be worth it for that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just wanted to say that I'm even more in love with my R5 now because I contacted Fractal support to see if there would be any way they could send me a new door clasp to replace the one I misplaced while building, and after providing them my shipping address, phone number, serial number for the case and pictures of the part I'm missing, they're now overnighting me a new one via FedEx :swoon:

Now that's just dope customer service and makes me love the company even more. Plus the case is still the most silent one I've ever owned, so I'm pretty glad I got it.

If you're building an ATX desktop and need a mid-tower case with a sleek design that allows you to never hear your computer while it's on, get an R5.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

awesmoe posted:

I've been asked to find a quiet case. Anyone got experience with the corsair 550D?
Get a Fractal R5. I was looking for a quiet case myself. Looked at the 550D, but it became increasingly difficult to find in stock anywhere. So I ended up going with the R5, and I'm so glad I did. My computer is virtually inaudible at all times now, which rules beyond belief. The R5 is also cheaper than the 550D would've been.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Well there is a MS Word app for iOS, and lots of different options for email apps too, if that influences the decision.

e: Actually I think there might even be an Outlook app for iOS too.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm thinking I'm going to buy a 970 tomorrow and try to sell my current 770. Which one should I be getting? The MSI one, right? But which MSI one? Looking on NewEgg now, there's the Gaming 4G for $344.99 (which I think is the one people have been recommending here?), the Gaming 4G LE for $339.99, the Gaming 4G Golden Edition for $399.99, and the 4GD5T for $339.99.

Looking at the clock speeds, the Golden Edition seems to have the best of them all. Is that the one I want to go with?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Shadowhand00 posted:

The Golden Edition is clocked higher because it is copper I believe. I have the Gaming 4G and am able to overclock that beast like crazy (the $344.99 one).
Can you OC the Gaming 4G higher than the Golden Edition? I don't really have any experience OCing GPUs.

Also apparently the cooler is different on the Golden Edition. Is it better than the one on the Gaming 4G?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Okay, sounds rad :) Well it's like a $50 difference between the two models. I guess I'll just spring for the Golden Edition since it'll likely serve me better for the long haul, and if I can sell my 770, I'll make some of the cost back anyway. Thanks, y'all!

Also, I like the sound of cooler and quieter. That'll compliment my new R5 case well.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Simple Simon posted:

So here's my thoughts on the GTX970 after getting it.
Got the ASUS Strix 4GB, since I've been happy with the last ASUS Card I got and heard good things about it.

It's loving great.

Laughs at games in Ultra and asks if that's all it got.

Runs Skyrim modded to the brim and tells me to install more mods.

If you're in my position, that is wanting a boost to your rig that you put together in late 2011 or early 2012 and have the money for it or feeling like spoiling yourself or i don't care, come up with your own reason.
I would get the GTX970, I can only speak for the ASUS one but if you like a quiet and a power friendly 970 I can recommend it.
The thing draws less watt then my old one and it makes about the same noise.
What the gently caress.

Happy with my choice and if the MSI one is better, then get that one but this card made my computer feel like I got a new one for a low price.
I bit the bullet on the MSI 970 Golden Edition this morning. Bought it from Amazon, and with Prime shipping, it's guaranteed to get here Tuesday. I can't loving wait.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

teknologik posted:

Is all this drama over the 970 not stopping you guys from picking it up? I'm just worried about its longevity.
From what I've gathered, it's only going to be a big problem if you're gaming on multiple monitors or at 1440p/4k. I'm on one monitor at 1920x1200 and I picked up the 970 (MSI Golden Edition) before the controversy started. Haven't really tested it with any game except Far Cry 4 so far, though. But I doubt it's going to give me as many headaches as other 970 owners who try to push theirs too hard. If it does, I'll just sell it and get a different card to replace it, I guess. Which one? I have no idea. But I'll cross that bridge if I come to it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I own a CyberPower CP1000PFCLCD 1000VA 600W sine wave UPS. Have for over a year now. Hasn't given me any trouble, and in fact it's protected my PC/TV/PS4 against the couple of power outages I've experienced since I bought it, so it does exactly what I want it to.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The R5 is an absolutely lovely case and you're gonna love it :)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

What the hell is USB 3.1 :stare:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Peanut3141 posted:

double the speed of 3.0
Jesus, how?! 3.0 is already so much faster than 2!

:circlefap:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Top Hats Monthly posted:

So I need to upgrade my graphics card, and after pouring over my expenses I'm guesstimating I can spend ~$260 on a graphics card. I'm running an almost all ASUS setup, with an i5 Quadcore 3.4GhZ GPU, and 16GB of RAM. What do you guys suggest? I'm willing to maybe stretch it out to $300.
For $200, this MSI 960 2GB. Or if you're willing to up it to $300, this MSI 970 4GB. Both of those have mail-in rebates that make them a bit cheaper than the advertised price.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Top Hats Monthly posted:

What's the difference between the MSI GTX and the ASUS STRIX?
From my understanding, MSI and ASUS are the two best manufacturers of the 970 but MSI edges out ASUS in the cooler department. I have an MSI 970 (the Golden Edition) and it's super quiet/cool all the time, even when gaming.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah, if they're just going to be using it for web browsing and other basic stuff like that, they can get by just fine with an i3 + integrated graphics. Use the money you save from downgrading the processor and cutting out the dedicated GPU to get them a nice SSD, which they will absolutely be able to reap the benefits of.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mr. Funktastic posted:

So Nvidia is doing a promo where they're giving away both Witcher 3 and Batman: Arkham Knight for free if you buy either a GTX 970 or a GTX 980. I have a GTX 660 now. Generally speaking, is it worth the upgrade (and $300+) to get a GTX 970 and being able to run those sweet, sweet games on high/ultra?
Yes. A 660 is probably going to be pretty long in the tooth soon if it isn't already, and if you're getting 2 full-price games for free, both of which will take advantage of the extra horsepower that a card like a 970 will give you, this would be a pretty good time to upgrade.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm downsizing from an ATX build to an mITX build because I had one in the past and I want one again. I already ordered the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX case and it was delivered already, and with my next paycheck (on Friday), I'm going to order the ASUS Z97i-Plus mobo.

I want a CPU cooler for noise reduction though, since I'm using an Intel stock cooler now and it's not always as quiet as I'd like. The Cryrorig H7 seemed to be the thread favorite and easier to install than the Hyper212 EVO (which I used to have in a previous build and was a pain in the rear end to install), but it appears to be out of stock everywhere. The Cryorig C1 is in stock on NewEgg, and is specifically designed for ITX builds. Would that work just as well as the H7 for me?

e: Well actually, now I'm looking at other low-profile coolers and it looks like there are a lot of options out there. So basically what I want to know is what's the best low-profile CPU cooler that:

-stays near-silent most of the time
-doesn't interfere with any other components like memory, GPU, etc.
-has an easy installation process

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 28, 2015

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

grack posted:

Raijintek Pallas or Silverstone Argon AR06
Nice, that AR06 looks like it would be perfect for what I want. Thanks! :)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

My 2TB Seagate 7200RPM just up and died on me last week, so I'm planning on getting a 4TB to replace it in the next few days at the same time as that new mITX motherboard and CPU cooler.

Is this HGST 4TB a good buy if HGST has the lowest failure rate? It has NAS in the title so that makes me think it's not the best for everyday use in a desktop.

In the past couple years, I've had both a Hitachi and now a Seagate fail on me after a short time. I don't know what was wrong with those drives but I really want something reliable :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rexxed posted:

NAS drives usually just have settings in the controller to make them respond quicker if they detect an error, it's called TLER or Time Limited Error Recovery (depending on the brand of disk and its implementation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TLER ). It's important for a RAID controller because if a disk doesn't respond to the controller after a time the controller assumes it's failed, freaks out, and drops it from the raid volume. TLER gets around that by limiting how long a disk can work on an error. So NAS disks are fine for normal storage uses, and they're a really, really good idea in a RAID volume or other redundant storage method.

While you might wonder, what if my disk could recover from the error given more time, and carry on serving my data for years to come? Well, the original designers of HD controllers assumed that that would be a normal thing, but over time it turns out that if a disk gets an error it's usually because it's beginning to fail and then it gets worse. It's not impossible for a disk to have a bad sector or two and continue on for a few more years but it's very uncommon in modern disks. Generally if you see one bad sector it's time to RMA it or replace it.
Okay, that works for me! Thanks :) That's cheaper than the WD Black 4TB I had been looking at, too. I have a Samsung 840 500GB SSD as my main OS/program/game drive and I use the HDD for storing music, videos, install files for programs, etc. If that NAS drive is fine for storage, then I'll just get that one.

• Locked thread