Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, the Sage basically fights by mixing long and close range attacks. I like him a lot but don't use him much because he's a pain in the rear end to practice with.

I really really wish Sage was usable in the single player. It's sort of odd he isn't. Rodin plays so differently he wouldn't work but the Sage feels close enough he could function like Jeanne/Rosa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I'm still surprised that Loki is only playable in one brief section. I mean, he has his own capoeira-style moveset (and throwing cards). Maybe it's an issue of his model being that much smaller than the others?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I just finished playing Bayo 1 and that was a blast. I'm not normally one for wringing every last drop out of a game so I'll probably never find the last weapon I didn't peace together. I'll also be content to have a lot of stone medals. I game became much better once I stopped hoarding halos and realized I could buy lots of witch hearts from Rodin.

Now I can't decide if I should play Bayo 2, W101, or Revengeance next. Any opinions? I've heard it's hard to go from Bayo 2 to Bayo 1, so is there anything in those three games that would ruin anything in another?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Wildtortilla posted:

I just finished playing Bayo 1 and that was a blast. I'm not normally one for wringing every last drop out of a game so I'll probably never find the last weapon I didn't peace together. I'll also be content to have a lot of stone medals. I game became much better once I stopped hoarding halos and realized I could buy lots of witch hearts from Rodin.

Now I can't decide if I should play Bayo 2, W101, or Revengeance next. Any opinions? I've heard it's hard to go from Bayo 2 to Bayo 1, so is there anything in those three games that would ruin anything in another?

I think Revengeance would be the best next step, since it's very different from Bayo and relies on timed blocks (parries) rather than timed dodges. It's fairly short and really good, so you'll get through it pretty easily, but the hard modes and bonus missions definitely add a lot of content. Then play W101, because it kind of combines a lot of the fundamentals from Bayo 1 and Revengeance, has blocks AND dodges and other mechanics too and is a really excellent ride. Then play Bayo 2 because it is the newest one and references all the others.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Revengence was cool but really needed different enemy varieties. Bayonetta 2 introduces new guys up until the final boss practically. Would really like to see a Revengence 2, haha

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I think Revengeance had just barely enough variety when you count the palette swaps with boosted stats.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If they ever make Revengeance 2, adding in co-op verses like Bayonetta 2 has would be incredible. Aside from whatever new characters there would be in the game, they would probably also be able to justify bringing back Monsoon, Sundowner, and Mistral because of cyborg brains or whatever. And maybe zombie Sam.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Also for the loving love of god put in on the fly weapon switching

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I just finished the prologue and first level of Revengeance and it's fun, but the controls are maddening. They feel so clunky coming straight from Bayo 1.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Austrian mook posted:

Also for the loving love of god put in on the fly weapon switching

If they don't have to develop for last gen systems, they might be able to. The poor PS3 and its piddly 256 mb of RAM couldn't handle having all of the weapons loaded into memory at once.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

ChaosArgate posted:

If they don't have to develop for last gen systems, they might be able to. The poor PS3 and its piddly 256 mb of RAM couldn't handle having all of the weapons loaded into memory at once.

Yeah, I know why they couldn't do it it's just a shame because it really held the game back IMO.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Austrian mook posted:

Yeah, I know why they couldn't do it it's just a shame because it really held the game back IMO.

It also hosed up the momentum of my S-Rank runs to. It's still a problem on the PC version unfortunately.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ChaosArgate posted:

And it could for DMC4?

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Beef Waifu posted:

And it could for DMC4?

Maybe INFINITE CUTTING took up a chunk of memory.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The infinite cutting's on the PC version though.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Beef Waifu posted:

The infinite cutting's on the PC version though.

Yeah but you design a game for the lowest common denominator. IE: Consoles.

If memory was an issue (and it just wasn't a design thing) then there's no way they'd have a major gameplay thing like weapon switch on PC and not console.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If the weapon-switching thing is a memory issue and not aesthetic choice, then why didn't they fix it in the PC version is more of the question I'm asking here.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

ManlyGrunting posted:

The general idea is that his "kicks" are all long range spell stuff, which I think are randomized (except for the finisher stuff) and you can charge them and whatnot. I've seen some people play him really well as a long range character as well as bouncing in and out of close range.

They're not randomized at all in my experience. It always goes lightning orb, fire pillar, fireballs, lightning strike depending on what point you press the kick button. So, kick-kick-kick and punch-punch-kick both get you fireballs. After figuring that out I've been slinging fireballs all day. Also his back-forward-punch is great too.

Beef Waifu posted:

And it could for DMC4?

Every PC port for a spectacle fighter needs an extra mode where you fight dozens of enemies on screen at once at all times, really.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Legendary Dark Knight Mode was the loving bomb.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Austrian mook posted:

Revengence was cool but really needed different enemy varieties. Bayonetta 2 introduces new guys up until the final boss practically. Would really like to see a Revengence 2, haha

To be fair, Bayonetta 2 has more (quality) enemy variety than any high-tier action game. It definitely set a bar in that regard.

Wildtortilla posted:

I just finished the prologue and first level of Revengeance and it's fun, but the controls are maddening. They feel so clunky coming straight from Bayo 1.

Eh, every game in this genre feels "clunky" compared to Bayonetta. I'm fine with that though; the Bayo philosophy of letting you cancel everything into everything at any time wouldn't work in a lot of games.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I started with Revengeance and went to Bayonetta 1 and 2, and they both flow pretty much identically in my opinion. It's just that Revengeance had unorthodox controls; dodging really should've been bound to a single button. But once you get used to them, it's fine.

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jan 26, 2015

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Theta Zero posted:

I started with Revengeance and went to Bayonetta 1 and 2, and they both flow pretty much identically in my opinion. It's just that Revengeance had unorthodox controls; dodging really should've been bound to a single button. But once you get used to them, it's fine.

Rising has a dedicated action button on circle. Why this wasn't made the dodge button and just make opening doors context sensitive is beyond me. Terrible idea.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
The thing that makes Revengeance clunky to me is the movement. It feels like there is too much weight and turning feels... wide? I don't feel like I can turn on a dime.

As for Bayo setting the smooth gameplay bar so high, I don't agree. It's smooth, but what I've played of the W101 is just as smooth as Bayo and I remember God of War 1 and 2 feeling ultra smooth too.

After more thinking, there is also the button delay thing in Revengeance too. If I'm sprinting I have to stop sprinting and wait a moment before I can use my visor and the menu is slow.

On a completely different topic, I watched some videos explaining dodge offset in Bayo 1 last night and I Now want to 'get good'. I continued my game and I'm back at the start on hard mode and it's going well! Is there anything like a practice arena I can play around in? The best thing I've come up with is playing in the "try it" levels that you access when buying new skills. I'd really kill for an endless enemy arena or just a good stage to play over and over to help me learn to control my button pressing.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Austrian mook posted:

Rising has a dedicated action button on circle. Why this wasn't made the dodge button and just make opening doors context sensitive is beyond me. Terrible idea.

Uh press circle to tear out hearts?!

Anyway I bought a wii u mainly for bayo 2 it's amazing, glad I did.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

On a completely different topic, I watched some videos explaining dodge offset in Bayo 1 last night and I Now want to 'get good'. I continued my game and I'm back at the start on hard mode and it's going well! Is there anything like a practice arena I can play around in? The best thing I've come up with is playing in the "try it" levels that you access when buying new skills. I'd really kill for an endless enemy arena or just a good stage to play over and over to help me learn to control my button pressing.

If you beat all the alfheims (the challenge rooms you can find scattered around levels) you'll unlock the lost chapter, which is a fifty-fight-long gauntlet.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Beef Waifu posted:

If the weapon-switching thing is a memory issue and not aesthetic choice, then why didn't they fix it in the PC version is more of the question I'm asking here.

Because that would require pretty significant reprogramming. The PC port didn't bring too much new stuff to the table, but it was well ported so no complaints here.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Uh press circle to tear out hearts?!

Anyway I bought a wii u mainly for bayo 2 it's amazing, glad I did.

That's definitely a context-sensitive prompt.

notZaar posted:

Because that would require pretty significant reprogramming. The PC port didn't bring too much new stuff to the table, but it was well ported so no complaints here.

Before anyone counterargues with that mode in DMC4PC that allows you to fight way more enemies, that doesn't really seem like it would change how the engine works, it sounds like it just takes advantage of the extra RAM to load more enemies.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
So I've slowly been working my way through the game.

I checked out the combo videos and it feels so dissonant that you have to hold the buttons down to keep comboing stuff. I mean I understand and can do it, but my hands come away aching after I'm done.

That said, everything else is amazing. I'm trying to hold myself to the standard of at least getting Silver on a level before I move on and it's decently challenging with my relatively limited knowledge of the game.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

ChaosArgate posted:

That's definitely a context-sensitive prompt.

Before anyone counterargues with that mode in DMC4PC that allows you to fight way more enemies, that doesn't really seem like it would change how the engine works, it sounds like it just takes advantage of the extra RAM to load more enemies.

Maybe it would, who knows! If not, the extra enemies are analogous to the extra cuts and phys objects in the MGR port.
It's possible that Capcom put more effort into their port. I'm just happy to be playing Platinum games on the PC, I don't mind if it's a straight competent console port.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yorkshire Tea posted:

That said, everything else is amazing. I'm trying to hold myself to the standard of at least getting Silver on a level before I move on and it's decently challenging with my relatively limited knowledge of the game.

There's really no reason to do this. Just play through and accept your stone ranks. You'll start picking up the game more as the game gives you new weapons, enemies, and skills. Then when you revisit stages you'll wonder how you ever found them hard.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I still can't tell if Bayonetta 2 is easier or it's just because I played through Bayonetta 1 beforehand. Bayonetta 2's 3rd Climax difficulty felt about as challenging as my first playthrough of 1 on Normal.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Theta Zero posted:

I still can't tell if Bayonetta 2 is easier or it's just because I played through Bayonetta 1 beforehand. Bayonetta 2's 3rd Climax difficulty felt about as challenging as my first playthrough of 1 on Normal.

I had this feeling as well. The fact you start off with various QoL moves you had to unlock either through story progress or the shop in the first game, and they give you the signature guns within like 30 seconds instead of an entire tutorial level helps that impression as well.

Granted, I've only done an initial playthrough on normal for both games so far. Did the first few levels of Bayo 1 again on the Wii after and I know at least some of it is knowing how the game works now (But I still can't dodge offset properly to save my life).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bayonetta 2 is easier but a lot of why it is easier is better design.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Section Z posted:

Granted, I've only done an initial playthrough on normal for both games so far. Did the first few levels of Bayo 1 again on the Wii after and I know at least some of it is knowing how the game works now (But I still can't dodge offset properly to save my life).

I was wondering about something else with dodge offset. It feels like Bayonetta 2 does it without needing you to hold down the attack button, because I very clearly recall resuming a combo after dodging when I wanted to change into a different one, even though I released the button.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I never learned how to dodge offset in Bayonetta and man it was really really obvious they want you to learn in Bayonetta 2. Even on normal difficulty every enemy will attack just before you end PKP with the fastest weapons, witch time wears off before then, and human-size bosses will usually dodge the WW if you're not in witch time. The last boss was basically just an endless chain of dodge trading for me.

I pretty much can't use any weapon other than the swords because they're all too slow. But that's okay because feet swords are the coolest weapon anyway.

Tapping out combos is too ingrained in my muscle memory. I could get perfect combo timing every time in Batman and Shadow of Mordor, but for some reason holding down buttons requires so much concentration I can't do anything else, and I usually still screw it up.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 27, 2015

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Don't try to jump into the pool head first on dodge offsetting. Just get used to holding down the button in a normal combo first. Every weapon is built for that in some way, but the guns and flamethrowers especially give clear feedback on it and make learning it much easier. Once you get the hang of that combo extension it's easier to work in dodges.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Bayo 2 has a better difficulty curve but it gets downright brutal too. Especially on 3rd climax, you bring out your A game every verse or you get shut down.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

notZaar posted:

Bayo 2 has a better difficulty curve but it gets downright brutal too. Especially on 3rd climax, you bring out your A game every verse or you get shut down.

I am not looking forward to Pure Platinuming every stage in 3rd Climax, I hate fighting Sloths. I just Kafka'd them but that's not going to cut it going for Platinum rank.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

OGS-Remix posted:

I am not looking forward to Pure Platinuming every stage in 3rd Climax, I hate fighting Sloths. I just Kafka'd them but that's not going to cut it going for Platinum rank.

Once you get used to how Sloths have a lot of fake-outs or double-takes, they're pretty easy even on 3rd Climax. The biggest issue, at least for me, was just the Lumen Sage and the final boss because of how relentless they were, but they're still pretty easy if you grab the shield accessory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Ignore this post. Phone posting sucks.

• Locked thread