Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Adiabatic posted:

Party is on Saturday, January 10th.
I might be able to make it over.

Adiabatic posted:

...roommate has been busy cutting wood:
I need to find productive roommates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Running start man. More SPEED is always the answer.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Nice find, always been a fan of those. What are the plans for it of than manual and 4wd?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

"Oh, hey, wonder what this does..."
*DEAF*

Please do this but put it on a couple second delay. Flip it nothing, flip it a few more times...then deaf.

WTF was that supposed to be wired to? Why the hell would you put a loving switch on the front of a vehicle...oh yeah REDNECKS

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

He's pretty derpy.

Son of a bitch, get a derpy dog after I leave, I'm disappointed. Thanks again for the place to crash and nice garage, I want your lift.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

Yeah we're having words right now. I've known him since middle school and apparently that means I charge 1 beer per hour.
:commissar:

This is exactly why I'm not going to announce I have a lift to most of the local groups. I don't mind helping people out and enjoy working on stuff but in the past there's always going to be people who will take advantage of the generosity. I've told the few that have asked rental starts at a case of beer per four hour block.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

So many choices and I have zero clue what any of them mean :aaa:

Time to do some research. I don't plan on doing any serious welding projects; I'd just like to be able to weld a nut on in the event of a stripped bolt.

For that a basic 110 stick would be plenty but a MIG would be better. Friend keeps a cheap Harbor Freight stick welder around for stuff like that so he doesn't have to setup the gas or anything else.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Your roommate is awesome, my brother had to see what I was laughing like an idiot at. A little redneck paradise right in town.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

iForge posted:

I once drew dicks in the dust buildup on the BMW. Then everyone else at the party did too. Someone buy his dickcar.

Is the dickcar still sitting in the yard? To be fair it doesn't look too terrible for a dickcar.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

Wait gently caress:

When does the campfire start? Might be tough getting it hot enough to dispose of the engine parts but we believe in you.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

You should just take the garbage wood and nail it to the shed.

Then you would miss out on all that nice natural light between the boards.

I'd consider a road trip for burning poo poo and beer.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Good to see you took my advice, that's a job well done. Wonder where the hell my garage whiteboard ended up...

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

Well this escalated quickly:

That's a lot of work for a couple friendship bracelets or will the robot mass produce bracelets for your next rave?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

What about the E30?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

Lawn ornament

If it wasn't a loving convertible I'd come buy it off you. How rusty is it and what engine/transmission/diff does it have? We can always use donors for the race car.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

Zero rust, good paint. 2.5 non-e with an auto
:mediocre:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

:perfect: I need to do a VA trip and hurt myself knock myself over shooting that

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

zundfolge posted:

These caliper hangers are really handy - they're cheap and less fiddly than using wire. I picked up a set on impulse a while ago and I'm really glad I did.
Huh that's actually not bad and easy enough to replicate. I've always used a bungee cord looped around the shock with the bare metal hooks through the caliper.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Since your house seems like the AI dumping ground do you have space for another E30 for a bit? Car's in NJ and I'd have to figure out how to get it to you but I'm not able to escape for a couple weeks to make the trip up there.

It's a little prettier than your vert but not much and like your vert it doesn't run.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

Rally wiring station:

:stare:

I have a massive garage but the couch is closer so I'll wire outside the back door. Next time slide the couch over to the door so you can wire in comfort.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

:perfect:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

It's Alive! :3: Badger is awesome

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

10. Diag why the windows won't roll up anymore. They were fine a few months ago

On the windows if they're power the switches are known to be poo poo. Pull them out, pop off the covers and clean the contacts. Sometimes they work if you press it just the right amount and sometimes they stop completely.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CakMxI0c-_0

AFM fix, new ECTs, new FPR in that order I think

edit: When I pull a plug wire there's not much of a huge difference on any cylinder. Since I know compression is good, this leads me to believe it's systemic across all cylinders.

Cold idle is rough and missy. Taking the oil dip stick out or popping a vacuum hose off makes it run better and idle higher, and idle is super low, so I'm thinking fuel trim is super rich and it's not a vacuum line issue.

It gets better as the car heats up, which points a bit towards the ECT, but the AFM is free so gently caress it I'll fix that first.

Unplugging the FPR and plugging the intake manifold nipple doesn't do much, if anything. Likely FPR issue but again the AFM is a free fix and both head ECTs are $20 total. The FPR is like $130.

Two things to try:

Stomp test - http://e30performance.info/viewtopic.php?t=1528

Unplug AFM/MAF, run open loop - if it runs better the AFM/MAF is the issue, if not look elsewhere

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

loving lol :golfclap:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

This link is for a generic 325i but RealOEM is a helpful tool for finding part numbers and seeing how things might go together.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partgrp?id=1123-USA---E30-BMW-325i&mg=51

I have several service manuals (bentley, haynes, factory, etc), if you need something scanned or snapchatted let me know.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

E30's that aren't rusted/molested/ragged are getting harder to find, especially under say $5k. I'd guess you could list that thing for a couple thousand and have a buyer pretty quick.

Hell send me pictures, details, price and I can post it on one or several E30 groups

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

gimpsuitjones posted:

Get an MR2 or a Forester E30 vert

Seminal Flu posted:

Rates Increasing, Currency is Now Blood: The Engineer's Investment Mercedes.

Truly an AI car. If the insurance actually pays for everything but your $500, you're really unscathed. And you'll still have a warranty and a track record of the dealership being inside that thing, so if anything does go wrong again, you've got a really strong argument that previous repairs were incorrect or insufficient... so I say keep driving that thing. HARD.
Or this, time for a track day

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

MSRP was $20,370. I paid less than that and got what I wanted out of the Merc thankfully. I first went to Toyota and they tried to gently caress me 8 different ways over the course of 2 hours until I finally got fed up and left. Went to Honda looking for a Fit, and the Civic I bought was literally the only manual on their lot.

That's exactly what happened at the Toyota dealership here except it took three hours before we walked out when he went back to 'talk to his manager' for the hundredth time. Good call on the Civic, I've considered that option a few times....hell of a lot of car for the money.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Wife and I put in our votes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Ah the joy of outside parking mold, poor MR2. Welcome back