Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Adiabatic posted:

Saturday I'm headed up to DC to meet up with alterate.eago, Terrible Robot, and iForge for a goony business transaction.

:gooncamp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
What you REALLY oughta do with the switch is combine the "Useless Box" and horn into one. Flip the switch, horn starts blaring, finger comes out and turns it off.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Highlife was the house wine at the shop I did time with for awhile. Not really enough to get you drunk unless it was the end of the day with no lunch.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
You're starting to sound like my old shade-tree shop owner that I worked with for a few years :v:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Adiabatic posted:

They had sob stories :ohdear:

Definitely becoming my old shop owner :v:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Lightbulb Out posted:

At least Subaru owners aren't BMW owners.

You almost had me there and then I looked at the username :v:

I remember when I had my E30 on my friend's lift for most of two days because it was my first ever suspension install. Luckily he was very understanding and was expecting me to gently caress it up, and I more than made up for it the next week when I helped him do a clutch on an STi (Fuckin SUBARUUUS). Oh god that sucked.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Adiabatic posted:

Holy poo poo thanks for the Caol Ila Terrible Robot! And thanks for the sour beers Moxie Omen! You guys are great.

...sour beer? I had never even considered the fact that such a thing could exist and now I must have some.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'm tempted to see what would happen to the heater core if you poured some evaporust in there and drove around for a few minutes. It's supposed to be cooling system safe, maybe you could clean it out enough to put off a full heater core job.

E: apparently they make a concentrate form that's easier to run in a rad with straight water. You run the engine to get it warm and then let it sit overnight to eat rust.

So it'd turn into a red puddle then.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Adiabatic posted:

He said "I might need your garage and lift". I said "Scotch. Expensive scotch."

poo poo man, I give my loving TIRE GUY a decent bottle of whiskey or bourbon just to let me fart around and use the tire machine while he makes sure I don't hurt myself or any of the shop equipment.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Adiabatic posted:

Yeah my bad bud I was on the bike. I've got that turbo inlet job tomorrow so let's shoot for next weekend.

RHD swap dude has zero loving clue what he's doing, but three or four of these guys just did the same swap in a forester and it took them two weeks or so. They're all on board for this one (if it even happens :rolleyes: ) and at least one of them won't leave me out to dry. I'll be doing somewhere between a quarter and half of the work, I suspect.

I know I'll probably regret it, but life's about the poo poo you do and this at least seems like an interesting pain in the rear end.

Godspeed you crazy bastard. I'm looking forward to seeing a video of a brake cleaner bomb being tossed into a Subaru.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Slow is Fast posted:

The twin turbos suck. Most people convert them to single.

The best part? They physically don't fit in a LHD car. The 2nd turbo hits the steering shaft.

TT swaps are a good mineshaft canary for stupid subaru owners. You can see a subaru bro tard coming from a mile away when they say "i want to do a TT swap"

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Adiabatic posted:

Some wonderful folks from reddit came and picked up the Magna V4 yesterday!

In less words, one of them commented on how much we look like rednecks. :banjo: I'm sure it didn't help that my roommate had his shirt off at the time.

My roommate and I can't figure out why they'd say something so crass and obviously untrue.

Oh well, I reckon they're just some unfunny cityfolk, bein from reddit 'n all.

In other news, we were talkin this mornin and I realized I haven't given y'all a progress report on the backyard in a while.

Here's the A/C units they traded my roommate for the Magna, next to our state of the art grill:

The BMW is still in its normal space. Hasn't moved much aside from that time we pushed it out of the garage:

The Jeep's dash is still out, but that only turns it into a temporary couch. Expert viewers will spot our cousin Cleatus's house next to the garage:

Got a mighty nice parts collection goin in the back, too. There's gold in them thar heads:

Finally, here's progress on them old woodworkin tools: 0:

Y'all come back to this thread now, y'hear?

THere's no place like home, there's no place like home :banjo:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Self-Control, eh? :airquote:

(I too would be giggling like a psychotic lunatic)

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Tremors is like that carton of ice cream. Once you get halfway through you might as well finish the whole drat thing, no matter how much you might hate yourself afterward.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I find more zen in being unrushed. When I'm laying on my garage floor reinstalling exhaust after replacing a failed driveshaft guibo at 3AM in 40 degree weather so I can drive to work at 7AM I start considering arson.

Rebuilding my ToyoRolla motor in my garage on a stand in bits and spurts after work and sometimes into the wee hours of the morning was very nice. Automotive zen is a great phrase for it.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Sep 22, 2015

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Adiabatic posted:

I just noticed my S2000 engine is missing.

Look man I'm sorry but after all that's happened this is just fuckin' hilarious. I know it blows goats but I haven't been able to stop cackling.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Astonishing Wang posted:

Buy the welder OP

"Do I... do I JB weld it?"
"I've got these zip ties here..."
"Bondo is a structurally sound material, right?"

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I had a creeper once before my brother backed his truck over it when I let him borrow it.

He's in jail now on his second DUI so I guess fair's fair :haw:

How is it getting out of those pads though?

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Oct 29, 2015

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Adiabatic posted:

Lawn ornament

Bastard :argh:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

BigFuzzyJesus posted:

Whatcha gon dew wit all dat book lernins?

Build a shop robit, of course. Maybe manufacture an anti-tank robit that only targets Subarus.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

bandman posted:

:catstare: What the gently caress have you purchased?

Looks like something in .45-70 :getin:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Powershift posted:

So what exactly do you use for targets when you're firing $6 bullets? $20 bills?

E30's.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
If you want to use those rotor retaining screws on an E30 you have to literally dip the sonsabitches in anti-seize every time you mess with 'em. Otherwise... well you already know. It's not so bad here in FL, but up there I can't even imagine.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Edit: I should just update my thread instead

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 14, 2016

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Hey Adiabatic, I'm commissioning a thing that was inspired by the Gorester. You want any? I figure it's only fair.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Lol at Badger running around in front of you like a dope :3:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Adiabatic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CakMxI0c-_0

AFM fix, new ECTs, new FPR in that order I think

edit: When I pull a plug wire there's not much of a huge difference on any cylinder. Since I know compression is good, this leads me to believe it's systemic across all cylinders.

Cold idle is rough and missy. Taking the oil dip stick out or popping a vacuum hose off makes it run better and idle higher, and idle is super low, so I'm thinking fuel trim is super rich and it's not a vacuum line issue.

It gets better as the car heats up, which points a bit towards the ECT, but the AFM is free so gently caress it I'll fix that first.

Unplugging the FPR and plugging the intake manifold nipple doesn't do much, if anything. Likely FPR issue but again the AFM is a free fix and both head ECTs are $20 total. The FPR is like $130.

Your throttle cable could use some retensioning :)

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Wow. You got me good, but the AMG reveal was top notch.

Pm me your address so I can mail you your keytag, you're gonna need it.

Edit: Goddammit that's not gonna work, I bet it has keyless start too

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Nov 10, 2016

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Sl1me posted:

You hate.......The Gorester?

The Gorester is an abominable beast of its own kind, not content to tolerate the insult of lesser name or mere description.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Adiabatic posted:

I actually rather appreciate the utter lack of replies to anything having to do with this E30. It's how I feel about it too.

It's a 'vert, even the E30 nerds don't care about 'em because without the roof it's like driving a block of cheese.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Adiabatic posted:

Anyone have any ideas on refreshing window motors on the cheap? The E30s are varying degrees of "gently caress you I'm old and don't want to put effort in"

One of my motors was rusted solid. I pulled it apart, sanded the rust off the rotor, regreased the bearings and reassembled it, and it worked wonderfully until the car got smacked by a van.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 12, 2016

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

MrsAdiabatic posted:

#one #singular #picture.

:v:

Edit: did you two get your keytags?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I mean, honestly, in the states, after a hundred miles an hour, who really gives a poo poo?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Aww, it had an accident. They're so hard to house train

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

8ender posted:

now I want to know how many axles kastein has on his property

Does he even know? After all, if you don't keep the fronts and rears in separate enclosures...

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
My hypothesis: Someone hammered the cam gear on the end of the cam without clocking it correctly. Bank wasn't firing on time because Cam Position Sensor was not properly reading cam position. This falls apart if the ignition is crank triggered or if there aren't two discrete Cam Position Sensors.

How hosed is the gear/cam key(way)?

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Nov 12, 2018

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Adiabatic posted:

See it ran fine right up until it didn't. Also if the cam gear weren't clocked correctly we'd still probably be reading "in time" just with the actual cam not clocked, naw mean?

At any rate, it fired right the gently caress up and, aside from changing a coil pack out to fix a misfire on #6, drove it home 3 hours without issue. No bent valves or anything, despite it being an interference motor.

What the Christ lmao.

Lucky bastards. I figured it had to be timing fuckery of some sort, because if that'd been my car four teeth off and a failed tensioner, with my luck I'd have been looking for a new motor.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Bigass beefy fuckin' brakes are just so goddamn sexy :swoon:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Adiabatic posted:

Right? Here's the new ones.

She's all buttoned up. ON TO THE MR2!

Yum, slotted rotors. Fantastic for maintaining bite, but God help you regarding pad life. When I was running slotted rotors on the Fit I'd use 4 or 5 sets of pads for a set of rotors. Went back to blanks since I wasn't racing as much, and I'm still on the first set after 15k mi, whereas the slotteds would have been halfway through the second set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
...what about a supercharger :getin: