Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

jamal posted:

Huh? All you do is take off that bottom support plate and it drops right out. The n/a subarus are the pain in the rear end because it goes above the header.

That's what I was thinking too, aren't most of the turbo ones simpler too just being a straight bar essentially while the non-turbo's have a bunch of bends to avoid the exhaust.

ie.

turbo:

vs

non-turbo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

StormDrain posted:

You know she's switched into sweatpants that say juicy and the reebox with the strap. Her hair is still blonde with black streaks in it, but it's in a huge ball on the top of her head.

This man is no stranger to the early morning end of shift stripper crowd.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

8ender posted:

I can't even imagine being stingy with the beers when you're borrowing an entire lift and garage. A proper sized stack of beers would be like 1/8th the cost of his HELLAS

Yeah, it's embarrassing. I've usually gone with top shelf bottles of whiskey for whatever machine shop work, small or big-ish, in the end it averages out to a good deal for both sides. The one exception I made was when I got a lot of bushings pressed in and out, so I went with a nice 3l bottle of crown. If I've done beer it's always been the imported polish beers (zywiec, tyskie, zubr, etc) but that's mostly because I've been dealing with polish guys.

There's got to be a give and take, and if you think about how much your saving by going through a friend rather than an actual shop, you have no reason to be cheap.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Slow is Fast posted:

I have two and want a third. I also hate subaru owners.

You either have the genuine good guystm or the brobaru owners. There's also the "car-owner" crowd but they're not an issue.

Subaru's are genuinely awesome, and they're worth owning even if you end up with a bit of a problem child, but the owners can be terrible. Locally I've organized a few meets and it's mostly good guys, but a few questionable. I've heard from one that summer tires are fine in winter, and others are just woefully misinformed about cars or mechanical systems in general, but they can learn if their not cemented in their ignorance. Thankfully there aren't too many hellaflush subies here (probably because of the legendarily lovely roads)

We need more good owners. So good AI-ers, buy more subies!

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

That's why I installed mine when I had the entire intake plenum off, made the job so much easier than trying to snake it under the intake runners :smug:

Still a poo poo job though, but the turbo noises are worth it.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

kastein posted:

I parked it right here, I swear, and it loving sank! (I didn't get the graboid reference till I googled it. :laffo:)

:frogout:

Go watch the cinematic masterpiece that is the tremors trilogy and the scifiscyfy original series.

You can skip the 4th movie.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Terrible Robot posted:

It's been about 6 years since I watched the 4th Tremors but I thought it was decent enough. :shrug:

It's meh at best. The wild west frontier motif didn't really do anything for me.

Tremors 2 is a national treasure.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

PartsSource here in Canada used to loan out tools no questions asked, but the last couple times they said they changed their policy and you had to have purchased a part from them that would require the tool to install for them to loan it to you :(

If you're buddy-buddy with the staff they'll let it slide but it still sucks compared to the previously lenient policy.

It's been about a year since I last tried borrowing a tool so maybe it's changed again.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I generally rent my tools the Canadian way: by buying them and then returning it the next day, explaining it was a gift for my friend's birthday but he crashed into a moose on the highway and he won't need it anymore.

True north :canada:

No clue as to why the policy change, I figured the good will of being able to rent and the impulse purchases when you come in to pickup and drop off would encourage it as well, but :iiam:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

YES :dong:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You should chuck on some of those new fangled Subaru 5 speed anti-spread plates when he does the built box. I think they cost more than a good quality gearbox though.

Aren't those snake oil? I thought the whole case widening under load was a load of BS.

The Gorester is great, and my forester looks upon it in awe.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Budget, no-fucks build and all that, but seriously consider getting the FU Cam bolts: http://turninconcepts.com/tic-fu-cam-bolt-kit-non-avcs.html
I had good luck with my cam bolts, then the next time i touched them it was like they welded themselves to the cams and the lovely inverted hex / Allen socket stripped right the gently caress out. But then again, I think you have easy access to a welder so you can just tac on a bolt head and go to town.

kastein posted:

If it's a busted piston and nothing else serious I dare you to drop one in from a parts motor and keep on truckin' :v:

Second'

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I too will be in need of those as mine has gone through 3. But now with the six speed, the axles are consumables :getin:

Hopefully she'll be able / want to make them and they can find their way to the Subaru masses.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Just a head check, but that thing is in neutral right?

Unless he's holding the flywheel like a knob or somehow has it jammed against the engine stand, it should be free to rotate.

Curious to see the autopsy, my money's on main bearing.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Adiabatic posted:

Also the irony is not lost on me that the first day I own this car it spins a rod bearing...

THE CURSE...

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Ahahahahaha.

Don't worry, I managed to put the LH head on the RH side of the block and I was about to mount the other one when it clicked that the timing gears would have to go on the flywheel side :doh:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

It wants in. I think you know better than to let it in.

FTFY

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I wish more cars did the tachometer expansion as the rev's got higher.

Always gave the S2000 just a little bit of extra excitement as the tach sped up as you approached redline. The power being all up the helped the effect too.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

TheFonz posted:

Ohhhhh what for what for?

I'd guess for the Benz, those are some pricey rotors iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

bolind posted:

I believe the argument is that the direction of forces is opposite, seeing as the front wheel only does braking.

Also, it's very good to have you back!

Regardless, the groves are there to channel water out as well, as shown as the tire rotates the water will be channeled towards the center rather than away to the sides.

If that's the correct orientation, maybe the contact patch and how a motorcycle steers makes things not intuitive to someone who's used to.car tire tread patterns?