Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I don't understand why you had such a hard time getting plywood.

Have fun with the cabinets :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah 95 through DC is the worst of the worst. I avoid it at all costs now and would rather go through WV getting nose bleeds.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Raluek posted:

Can't keep those durn Subarus out :bahgawd:

InitialDave posted:

:ohdear: "What do you mean, they cut the power? How could they cut the power, man? They're animals!"

They mostly come out at night, mostly.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kastein posted:

No, read the drat ingredients list first. And buy the stuff on it.

I'm the opposite, I buy all the parts and they sit there for a year :v:

Right now in my shed I have all the parts for a Miata water pump/TB job that have been sitting over a year, and a full set of struts and brakes for the Camry that have been there for months.

The house is taking priority at the moment and that list isn't going to end any time soon :(

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lol what's up with the tiny bedroom size a/c unit.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lol is that a gang tag?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I love it and I unironically want one.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

Hahahaha some rear end in a top hat has been stealing poo poo from that crusty shed the past two days.

Too bad the neighbor has a deer camera behind my yard with about 15 clear HD pictures of the dude's face.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I did that for a giant socket recently so I could replace the heating elements in the water heater. Just said I ended up not needing it :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

Just got a response from the detective. They have him identified, he's wanted, and they're actively searching for him. She also wants footage of him taking the engine, which makes sense. Here's hoping that trail camera picked it up.

I would guess the odds are pretty high the camera got it since you're not gonna be moving very fast carrying a loving engine. That's if they were anywhere near it though.

Whoever the dumbass is buying stolen engines is in for a surprise, it will probably end up being some stance idiot trying to put it in his civic.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

Dude still hasn't gotten back to me on the spring perches. Gonna have to start making waves here since he is holding my materials hostage.

Lol, this is why you need a welder because you can never depend on anyone else to do poo poo even if you are paying them good money to do it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Now it just needs some appropriate tires and a "Zombie Outbreak Response Vehicle" sticker.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Why don't you swap in a XJ front end? I would just to get of those rotors, they are the worst.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

Argh. I'm trying not to have any more projects than I already do. Gonna pop in the new rotor and pads (they were $70 total) and replace the front end with a D30 once I get the cabinets, BMW, SV650, and MR2 sorted.

I hear you. All my cars are in disrepair and I just want to get my shitbox Protege sorted so i can focus on my Miata but poo poo keeps popping up on it and I don't have time and gently caress it's pissing me off.

I'm honestly looking forward to getting a Mazda 2 just so i don't have to do poo poo to it and just drive the drat thing.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

MrsAdiabatic you'll have to learn how to do this

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've always used five gallon bucket handles, they bend but are strong enough not to un-bend from the weight of a caliper (I'm looking at you, wire hangers)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kastein posted:

Whoever bought the tools HF made out of the scrap the thief sent to china is hosed.

Somewhere in Seattle a young man that works at a Firestone and wears a leather biker jacket buys a HF angle grinder trying to save money......

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Happy wife, happy life.

Better make the wife's honey do list top priority :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The amount of people I know that skimp on tires drives me insane, especially when they can afford new tires but are just being cheap asses to save money by buying used unmatched and expired tires because ONLY 40 BUCKS EACH INSTALLED!!

And then rinse/repeat because the alignment is hosed and the used tires go to poo poo within months.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

MrsAdiabatic posted:

All the grief I can give them won't put money in their pockets and I'm not doing "support 4 slowly disintegrating daily drivers" well. They're getting better about paying attention though.

Oh I get it if you're broke what are you gonna do, but if you can afford it there's no excuse to be cheap about tires imo.

A guy I know recently had one of his awesome cheap used tires blow on the interstate at 75mph and he spun across the entire interstate just missing the wall. In an Explorer no less, he's luck it didn't flip fifty times and kill him and this guy has a house on the water in Florida. I told him about tire rack and he ordered a new set the next day :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jesus Christ. Have you thought about just trading it in after it's fixed? For something not German?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

Yes, considering it's also losing value way faster than my payment.

Serious suggestion, get the nicest V8 Lexus you can afford for cash, enjoy car not breaking and no payments.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

How have the Lexus hybrids done reliability wise? It seems like every Toyota hybrid besides the Prius has lovely ratings for some reason.

If they are good, we're probably going to get an RXh once the LS gets over 200k.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

About a quarter into installing my new vinyl fence we said gently caress the strings and just eye balled it the rest of the way :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've always considered bearings as ball bearings, so for some reason main/journal bearings just seem wrong to me :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Camry V6 :colbert:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Good work man, now start engineering some poo poo!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Or you could do a V6 swap :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Have you thought about getting the head worked on while you got it out? A port and polish would probably wake it up a good bit without really messing with the reliability.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

drat that engine is gonna run sooo smooth once you get everything together. Don't blame you for wanting to get rid of the Benz cuz you're gonna love the MR2. If you still need a comfy ride to commute in or whatever just get a cheap Lexus :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

Tie rod adjusting sleeve bolts were loose! I tightened them up and the deathwobble got SO MUCH WORSE.

When you start getting deathwobble the general consensus is pretty much just replace everything in the front end because that's what you end up doing chasing the issue anyway :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Being pre approved for a loan and using cash for a down payment also helps a lot. Pretty much sets the tone that you aren't gonna play the percentage and trade in value game. We did that for my wife's LS460, she was in and out of the dealership in record time.

Of course now we have an LS430 to sell, but it's ok because we don't need to sell it right away. Could have traded it in but it's worth more on the private sale market.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So how did the oil leak with the new Civic go? Did it get fixed?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Pink with purple polka dots

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I take it pink must be winning?

:v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I vote 996 w/ LS swap.

It will be way cheaper than an NSX even after the swap too.

Plus you wouldn't baby or worry about a 996 LS like you would the NSX. No diapers required.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 3, 2019

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah that's the best bet really if you actually enjoy driving and not just showing off. I once had an immaculate 95M Miata that was so nice I was afraid to drive it, don't do that.

How much do the LS swaps run these days? I imagine there should be a few different swap kits out there by now. Probably shops that do it too.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Or just get the 996 NA and install the bushing replacement kit for the IMS bearing. Then beat the poo poo out of it :)

http://theimssolution.com/

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Hoovies Garage on Youtube recently blew up a 996 and did an LS swap. Granted, he paid a mechanic for labor but he put out the number $17k for the swap. Included a couple pretty expensive adapter kits.

Yikes that's pretty steep....But man a C4s with an LS would be the poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Maybe he's spending time with a lady friend, that usually makes guys not care about touching computers and/or cars for awhile.