Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
can't way to play this, it's gonna be great

so pretty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

whaaaaat theres a loving sequel comin out i had no idea

i hope this one isnst so short you cant even get halfway tru maxing a skill

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i found the first one insanely boring, with no real choices and terrible combat mechanics

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
I hope they improved on the awful character building and combat.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
would rather just play wizardry 8

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I am an extreme fan of the first game, as I love all dungeon crawlers. Farewell.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

babypolis posted:

whaaaaat theres a loving sequel comin out i had no idea

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Silver Striker posted:

I am an extreme fan of the first game, as I love all dungeon crawlers. Farewell.

there are so many other good choices imo

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

would rather just play wizardry 8

Have you played Might and Magic 4/5?

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Have you played Might and Magic 4/5?

I have not, but I want to

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have the collection somewhere and I never tried X eitjer

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

This is certainly true.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

I have not, but I want to

It's one of the best dungeon crawlers ever made, so you're in for a treat!

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

dude can u give me like a list off the top of your head of the top 3 ever made or something. Im playing etrian odyssey atm and its made me wanna play first person type stuff in the future. ty ty

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
My problem with grimrock was really the combat, and how pointless my characters were. I hope 2 does it better, because I do enjoy the old dungeon crawl, although I like an overworld as well

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I just remembered I have like all the Might and Magic games on GoG. Time to play them.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

I.N.R.I posted:

dude can u give me like a list off the top of your head of the top 3 ever made or something. Im playing etrian odyssey atm and its made me wanna play first person type stuff in the future. ty ty

My faves are wizardry series on PC, and there was 1 on PS2

Shin megami tensei 1 and 2 are very hard but really rewarding if you like Etrian

Class of heroes was good if I remembered the name right (think that's on DS)

I love making my dumb classes and dungeon diving

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

It's one of the best dungeon crawlers ever made, so you're in for a treat!

Once I beat mordor I will play both

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

I.N.R.I posted:

All the Etrian Odyssey games, Might & Magic 4/5 on PC, SMT Strange Journey but you've probably played that one. Wizardry if you're into the really hardcore unforgiving stuff.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
I heard Might and Magic X was good as wel.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

My problem with grimrock was really the combat, and how pointless my characters were. I hope 2 does it better, because I do enjoy the old dungeon crawl, although I like an overworld as well

I agree that the combat needs some fixin, but what do you mean by the pointless characters?

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

Shin megami tensei 1 and 2 are very hard but really rewarding if you like Etrian

Have you tried Strange Journey? It's great.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I heard Might and Magic X was good as wel.

I have played some of it. I really like it so far.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

i found the first one insanely boring, with no real choices and terrible combat mechanics

yeah i liked the dungeon atmosphere and stuff but the combat was really awful

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

RottenK posted:

I agree that the combat needs some fixin, but what do you mean by the pointless characters?

I mean to say, the character creation and skills/whatever felt pointless

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

has anyone played the dark spire?

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Swelter Discharge posted:

yeah i liked the dungeon atmosphere and stuff but the combat was really awful

The atmosphere was great. The monster designs needed some work, the secrets were really like, the same thing 100x over, and the puzzles weren't that great. Hoping 2 fixes this and if imps say it's good I will try it

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Silver Striker posted:

I have played some of it. I really like it so far.

I want to

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Swelter Discharge posted:

has anyone played the dark spire?

I have. It's a cool game with great music and graphics. It has some oldschool stuff that can be annoying (like getting 1shot ambushed) and it tells you essentially nothing whatsoever. I thought it was pretty fun, issues aside.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

The atmosphere was great. The monster designs needed some work, the secrets were really like, the same thing 100x over, and the puzzles weren't that great. Hoping 2 fixes this and if imps say it's good I will try it

I remember one puzzle that was just "follow directions that were on a piece of paper you found a long rear end time ago". I held onto the piece of paper because I figured it would be important but I was still pissed that it was that stupid.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

RottenK posted:

Have you tried Strange Journey? It's great.

I only heard about this after already buying 4, but I really wanna buy it, maybe for Christmas.

Nocturne was like, my second favorite RPG of all time, so When I say 4 I was like... Ohhhh poo poo. But it's not as good, still a good game though

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

I mean to say, the character creation and skills/whatever felt pointless

Well, you have a point here. The skills weren't very exciting, and the nonmagic class didn't got anytihng that isn't just making basic attack stronger.

I still think that Grimrock was a good game, but it could be much better. Let's hope that the sequel improves on those issues :)

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I liked Strange Journey but I got pretty far and then lost my game card so my save was gone forever. I haven't really restarted it.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

My faves are wizardry series on PC, and there was 1 on PS2

Class of heroes was good if I remembered the name right (think that's on DS)

I love making my dumb classes and dungeon diving

cool :-)

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

I only heard about this after already buying 4, but I really wanna buy it, maybe for Christmas.

Nocturne was like, my second favorite RPG of all time, so When I say 4 I was like... Ohhhh poo poo. But it's not as good, still a good game though

yeah strange journey is fantastic. really good dungeons, great music, its pretty challenging, and it has a pretty interesting story with cool characters . the combat system isnt press turn which can be sorta off putting at first but its not bad.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

also people dont seem to like it but the first persona game is a pretty good first person dungeon crawler

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Persona (all games) are good dungeon crawlers imo

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

I.N.R.I posted:

cool :-)

Oh yeah, Persona Q is coming out in like December.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
While we are on the topic INRI did you ever play kings field?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Oh yeah, Persona Q is coming out in like December.

preordered it so i can sell the tarot cards on ebay :P

• Locked thread