Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

While we are on the topic INRI did you ever play kings field?

no .. its by the dark souls guys right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

I.N.R.I posted:

no .. its by the dark souls guys right?

I think you would really like the first two games

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
might and magic 6 and 7 are also really good, although not tile-based.

everyone should play wizardry 4, just for the experience of playing a game that actively hates you made by people that hate you

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

might and magic 6 and 7 are also really good, although not tile-based.

everyone should play wizardry 4, just for the experience of playing a game that actively hates you made by people that hate you

All the wizardry games are like that

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I heard Might and Magic X was good as wel.

The DLC sucked (yeah, it's totally a great idea to take all my high level gear that I spent the whole game getting) and it was buggy and unoptimized as poo poo but it did indeed own.

I'm getting this because I liked the first grimrock but there really needs to be more western turn based dungeon crawlers.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
e: whoops wrong thread

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
M&M X was good but it never felt like the combat was really challenging after the first few bosses, even on the harder difficulty.

anyway supposedly you get more choice with character creation in this game and they do stuff to trip up strafing enemies around in a square

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

RottenK posted:

can't way to play this, it's gonna be great

so pretty

lovely game. No thanks.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

grimrock seemed neat except for the pixel hunting and the hunger mechanic and the not-quite turn based combat where you have to click your menu options real fast.

seriously, let me take my time to cast a spell

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

is this game out already

is it good

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

babypolis posted:

is this game out already

is it good

It's out tomorrow.

1upclock
Sep 25, 2009

Taken completely out of context
I love a game with depth and challenge, but gently caress hunger mechanics.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I never really had hunger problems and there are a few points with respawning enemies so by the time I figured out what to do I had basically enough food for the rest of the game. It's a bad mechanic, though.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
I think that hunger mechanics in dungeon crawlers sound ok as a concept, but in execution are always either a pain in the rear end that makes the game less fun, or a complete non-issue that just makes you periodically go into your inventory and click on your endless stockpile of food.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
i hope the new game has plenty of space with which to kite melee monsters around repeatedly while hitting them with an axe

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

BKPR posted:

grimrock seemed neat except for the pixel hunting and the hunger mechanic and the not-quite turn based combat where you have to click your menu options real fast.

seriously, let me take my time to cast a spell

all of grimrock's combat was based on basically juggling moving around without getting trapped while dealing with having your nerds do stuff so clicking stuff fast is pretty much fundamental to the combat

if you hate having to juggle that stuff, and theres nothing wrong with that, you're probably just best off playing on an easier difficulty setting

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

probably, yeah. i remember walking backwards away from dudes a lot and it just seemed real tedious.

i never had hunger issues, but it's irritating to have to watch it. your game's not a drat roguelike.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
drat, didn't have much free time to play today, only got to make my group and fight a few enemies :(

There's a new race, rat people. More classes than there used to be. They all give big passive bonuses. For example, Battlemage halves thge weight of worn armor, gets bonus resists for welding a staff and can cast with bare hands, and Alchemists can grow herbs and their firearms malfunction less. Yes it looks like this game has firearms, tho' my alchemist didn't start with one. The group starts pretty much naked and has to fight with sticks and rocks at first.

The skill system may be better now, i think? I need to play for a decent amount of time to judge how the new skill sysem works, but skills have only 5 levels now and give pretty large upgrades for every increase. Don't know how fast you can level them up.

The combat seems similar to the first game, but I only fought one enemy type so far, giant turtles that can chrge you. Killed them with the usual grimrock battle dance, but people told me that later enemies have some nasty tricks to gently caress that up.

I think the map is much bigger now. Looks like you can explore and pick which dungeons to do first instead of having a linear path of floor 1 -> floor 2 -> floor 3 etc of the first game, but I'm not sure about that yet.

Game looks pretty and I like being outdoors.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
Played for a while, the game is pretty cool people.

It's easy to max out skills but they also don't give as many bonuses as in 1.

Also theres a farmer class that gains xp by eating, so now you have a use for your huge food pile.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

I am not going to play this

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

ForeverSmug posted:

I am not going to play this

what are you going to play?

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

some gay poo poo probably

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Good choice, I hope you have fun.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

ty I wont

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

I think you would really like the first two games

for the ps1? maybe ill emulate them. never liked the feeling of amulating doe...

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
if there was a just and loving god they would put them all on PSN

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
o theyre for ps1.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i ninja edited my fail out but i wasnt quick enuf. alright ill play them then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

mutation is so broken oh god

• Locked thread