Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Someone tell me about wildstar because the Wikipedia page is insufficient

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

Uncle Penis.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Uncle Wemus posted:

Someone tell me about wildstar because the Wikipedia page is insufficient

They somehow found a way to have more grind than most korean mmorpgs have

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

conceitedguy posted:

Uncle Penis.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Developers catered to the "super hardcore old school raiders" and alienated anyone who couldn't devote huge amounts of time to the game. And then they alienated the hardcore old school raiders by utterly failing to fix any bugs without introducing several more and then essentially telling players to get over it and, if a bug ruined their progress, "level another character."

You should go read the Wildstar thread. A+ MMO dev schadenfreude.

Dads Dip Cup
Aug 13, 2009

Grimey Drawer
it's unsuccessful because people realized that getting a group of 40 morons together to slam their testicles in a desk drawer for six hours a night is not, in fact, as fun or rewarding as they remember

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Wildstar is unsuccessful for several reasons.

1) They made a hardcore only MMO. Hardcore players are important for any game to have longstanding appeal, but you can't target just hardcore players.
2) They game is an unfinished mess. Numerous bugs have existed since beta and been pushed to the live servers. Sometimes, these are catastrophic bugs (requiring creation of a new character).
3) The actual game is boring at best. The content is extremely dry and uninteresting. Supposedly this changes if you can actually make it all the way to the raiding scene, but so few people have done that.

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

I barely even drink a lot
this games an mmo right? I don't think people like mmos too much that might be the information you're looking for OP

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
do you like cheevos?

Yes you loving do.

Go run small group dungeons until you speed run it or you can't raid.

Also go do other poo poo things for cheevos

oh your group member hosed up or isn't playing optimally well good going gently caress head run it again

once 40 people got it go to raid get gear then do it all over again for the next raid why the gently caress

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

because it has to compete with final fantasy 14

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

Ugly graphics

Runs bad on good hardware

Stupid lore

Attunements that are just crappy time gating because you don't actually explore a lore you care about (see above)

They buff the raids whenever some guild actually manages to clear them because they're too stupid to realize how their raid mechanics are old and tired

All the interesting content is backloaded so there's no community, before the level cap you just level by yourself just like in every other "me too" MMORPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IgVS9yNFGg

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Lol the SA Mart mod got really pissed off on there when I answered someone's question about the AA Pedo Thing. They're attached to that thread. Welp that's my story about Wildstar.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

AA killed it

real reason

its an mmo

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Because its boring as poo poo.1

1. Buck Turgidson, "The Main Reason for Wildstar's Failure" (2009) 83 lovely MMO Journal 26.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
We already had this thread

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

Vileshart

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

koolkal posted:

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

if an mmo isn't successful it's because it isn't good. there. done. gas this poo poo.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

No Such Thing posted:

if an mmo isn't successful it's because it isn't good. there. done. gas this poo poo.

well that and almost all of them make it insanely difficult to play with your friends with servers, faction, level, and gear differences, and frankly that's a load of horseshit

Dec 26, 2012

koolkal posted:

so what. its ok

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

If this gets gassed it will be out of concern for all of us I feel. And I respect that.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

koolkal posted:

I don't mind explaining it again, because it's incredible how bad Wildstar was for 9 years of development.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
it is a bad game

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

I get paid to stab people with sharp objects.
Didn't bring as much innovation to the table as they hyped.

Every aspect of the game was really cool to me at first but got stale after 20 hours of play. The art style (which I liked actually), the humor, the combat, the dungeons, the crafting, the houses - all of these things were enjoyable enough for me to sub and then didn't have enough depth or variety for me to renew after a few months.

And the endgame is total poo poo. Max level content is king in MMOs and wildstar didn't seem to learn that. In fact, for all of their innovation, they seemed to forget a lot of lessons literally every other MMO has learned since EverQuest. I mean they put in goddamn attunement and some of these dudes were WoW devs. They should have known better.

MMOs stay afloat by casual players who play once or twice a week or only an hour or two every day, hardcore players are a much smaller subset and not a big enough population to support a AAA MMO. They're also a fussy and fickle people.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
it's not ffxiv

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

because its a loving piece of poo poo

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

bathroomrage posted:

it's not ffxiv

whats ffxiv like? I'll never mmo because it would probably destroy my life but I've heard a lot of people liking it

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

chaos rhames posted:

whats ffxiv like? I'll never mmo because it would probably destroy my life but I've heard a lot of people liking it
its just a really good kinda casual mmo with a lot of content + hella final fantasy references. soon they're gonna add the gold saucer from ff7 with chocobo racing and triple triad

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

LSTB posted:

Ugly graphics

Runs bad on good hardware

Stupid lore

Attunements that are just crappy time gating because you don't actually explore a lore you care about (see above)

They buff the raids whenever some guild actually manages to clear them because they're too stupid to realize how their raid mechanics are old and tired

All the interesting content is backloaded so there's no community, before the level cap you just level by yourself just like in every other "me too" MMORPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IgVS9yNFGg

The dead chicks are very sexy though, but, that aside, this.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
why play another mmo than wow lol

neverwinter is cool tho

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

homeless snail posted:

its just a really good kinda casual mmo with a lot of content + hella final fantasy references. soon they're gonna add the gold saucer from ff7 with chocobo racing and triple triad

ok, I'd try that if i trusted myself to not get too into it

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

chaos rhames posted:

ok, I'd try that if i trusted myself to not get too into it

that's 100% why I just stopped playing.

got too many other video games I want to play and friends to play smash bros with to be willing to devote the time to repeating content in an MMO, even if that content's pretty good

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

it failed for the following reasons:

10% housing floaty island was lame
10% endgame sucked and also the levelling
80% 100% CUPCAKE

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

OkieMurse posted:

I mean they put in goddamn attunement and some of these dudes were WoW devs. They should have known better.

they're the WoW devs who were fired for putting in garbage in the first place, so no

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
reasons wildstar isnt successful:

1) WoW
2) Guildwars 2
3) lol fuckk theeme park mmoss forever

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
the carbine dev who posts in there, cyster, is caydiem from blizzard, who got really mad about being the rogue class lead and using a terrible sword in the mainhand (silent fang) to the point where for a long-rear end time on the blizzard forums mentioning silent fang was a ban

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

chaos rhames posted:

ffxiv is a really cool game b/c its really casual for an mmo but also isnt so braindead easy that you fall asleep also its really really pretty and sounds really good and is just full of final fantasy and lately dragon quest references designed to tickle the nostalgia of anyone that likes the series

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

I can't explain why I liked FFXIV, I even paid attention to the lovely quests and everything. Just try it.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
Yeah yeah wild star. Yeah yeah wild star. drat, drat, drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

why would you even call a video gmae wild star

• Locked thread