Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

why would you even call a video gmae wild star

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Turns out hiring MMO devs for the lowest wages in the industry and then forcing them to work 60+ hour weeks for a year provides you with a super buggy mess of the game in the end.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

zen death robot posted:

arent all mmos super buggy messes anyways

MMOs will tend to be more buggy than other types of games, because of the enormous scope involved. Wildstar is exceptionally buggy, even for an MMO. At launch, numerous class abilities either didn't work at all or worked in really stupid ways. With each patch they fix some and break others.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Deki posted:

Turns out hiring MMO devs for the lowest wages in the industry and then forcing them to work 60+ hour weeks for a year provides you with a super buggy mess of the game in the end.

lmao this is how every loving game is made today

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

sword_man.gif posted:

the carbine dev who posts in there, cyster, is caydiem from blizzard, who got really mad about being the rogue class lead and using a terrible sword in the mainhand (silent fang) to the point where for a long-rear end time on the blizzard forums mentioning silent fang was a ban

aren't people falling over themselves to run to that dev's defense too when other posters are being "rude" in the wildstar thread

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
I mean if my job was on the line I would be lying my rear end off on an internet forum to people who desperately want to believe too

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

SarutosZero posted:

aren't people falling over themselves to run to that dev's defense too when other posters are being "rude" in the wildstar thread

of course

everyone was falling over themselves to be nice to her as well when she was posting in wow:gs and then a bunch of people started really white knighting after silent fang came up

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
a wow dev....who's a goonette?? *wipes brow* time to show her that i'm the man for her...

"Silent Fang was a long time ago and only someone as pathetic as you would keep bringing it up. What's it like to hate women?"

masterstroke...

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

I get paid to stab people with sharp objects.
Everyone knows that white knights get all the women.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

sword_man.gif posted:

a wow dev....who's a goonette?? *wipes brow* time to show her that i'm the man for her...

"Silent Fang was a long time ago and only someone as pathetic as you would keep bringing it up. What's it like to hate women?"

masterstroke...

someone even brought up the APB dev who kept posting about how everything was great and the game is awesome like 2 days before it shut down and how this could just be the same thing only to have other posters jump in with NO SHUTUP DON'T BE MEAN TO HER SHE JUST LOVES HER JOB

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
the best poster in that thread is the dude making up fanfics about ncsoft

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

sorry what I meant to say was stop being dicks all of you and please PM me video game playing girls

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

where can i read about this "silent fang" thing and why it's such a big deal because all I get if I google it is just descriptions of the item

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I heard some guilds managed to kill some bosses and I guess this upset the devs so they changed a bunch of stuff a whole ton to make the bosses harder, and did it several times until even some of the most hardcore people threw up their hands and said gently caress this poo poo and quit

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Harrow posted:

where can i read about this "silent fang" thing and why it's such a big deal because all I get if I google it is just descriptions of the item

way back in vanilla world of warcraft each class had a public class lead, caydiem was the rogue lead. rogues got incredibly pissed off when it was revealed that their class lead had zero idea about even the basics of the class.

now just hang on here because you have to know some poo poo about how wow works now and i gotta explain it

silent fang, back then, had a speed of 1.6. certain instant attacks (sinister strike, the main attack of rogues back then) was based on a % of weapon damage. slower weapons did more damage with it.

a slow one-hander had a speed of 2.4-2.6 (with rarites like 2.8 or 3). caydiem was using silent fang as her mainhand weapon, which is about as terrible an option as you can get

rogues found this out and got really mad about it (with some reason because if you're going to be a class lead you should probably know how the class works) and instead of admitting a mistake decided to censor all talk of it and blizzard started banning for silent fang jokes

tseric's meltdown was funnier though because he actually melted down in public on the blizzard forums

quote:

When you can understand how a group of belligerent and angry posters can drive away people from this game with an uncrafted and improvisational campaign of misery and spin-doctoring, then perhaps, you can understand the decisions I make. Until you face mobs of psychology, you will not see my side.

Until you see some bright-eyed player coming onto the forums wanting to know what they should spec as this class, and see them shat on and driven away by petty and selfish people who are simply leveraging for game buffs, you will not understand.

You will not understand until you have to see it daily, for years...

Until you understand that many people will trod over you to get where they're going, or to get what they want.

Until you understand that so many people will agree, completely, 100% with a loud, vulgar and assertive individual, not because he is right, but because he is making a stand against "the Man"; to take no critical thought in what they say, but simply to hop on board.

Until you actually try to acknowledge those who do not speak on the forums, for whatever reason they have, you will not understand.

If you think an archaic business formula like "the customer is always right" works, you fail to understand customers, not a customer. It is a collective. No one person, even myself, is truly above the whole.

I simply have the unfortunate quality of being easily singled out.

quote:

Can't help it.
Posting impassionately, they say you don't care.
Posting nothing, they say you ignore.
Posting with passion, you incite trolls.
Posting fluff, you say nonsense.
Post with what facts you have, they whittle down with rationale.
There is no win.
There is only slow degradation.
Take note. It is the first and only time you'll see someone in my position make that position.
You can be me when I'm gone.

quote:

I'm sure you all think you're hilarious in your own space/mind.

Get off my internet.

kthx

/

sword_man.gif fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 16, 2014

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
tseric was the warrior lead btw and he didn't really know what the gently caress he was talking about either ("pop enrage" being the most famous one, enrage being an ability that got trigged on being hit and couldn't be activated on demand)

they got rid of class leads for a single rep in the form of ghostcrawler, until mists of pandaria where a guy got super invested in warlocks, made them hyper op, rageposted on the mmo-champion forums about "running out of political capital to buff warlocks", and got fired the next day

he (the warlock guy) also called me out last time i posted about his idiotic poo poo so looking forward to see if he does it again

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

sword_man.gif thank you for the informative posts on turbo-dorks who work in the video game industry I enjoyed them

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
thank you for enjoying it

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

sword_man.gif posted:

tseric was the warrior lead btw and he didn't really know what the gently caress he was talking about either ("pop enrage" being the most famous one, enrage being an ability that got trigged on being hit and couldn't be activated on demand)

they got rid of class leads for a single rep in the form of ghostcrawler, until mists of pandaria where a guy got super invested in warlocks, made them hyper op, rageposted on the mmo-champion forums about "running out of political capital to buff warlocks", and got fired the next day

he (the warlock guy) also called me out last time i posted about his idiotic poo poo so looking forward to see if he does it again

didn't tseric oversee the shaman class patch in vanilla or something? I know there was apparently a giant mess there where a CM didn't pass the feedback from players onto devs or something, which ended up leading to the "bus shock" debacle.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
the original cm got the gout or something and tseric and caydiem were put in charge of the shaman patch (and hosed it up)

it was a euro cm apparently that brought up that the shaman feedback was never passed on

eyonix got really huffy and said shamans didn't deserve him after that as well because they were REALLY mad

sword_man.gif fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 16, 2014

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

sounds like wildstar is in good hands, nothing to worry about guys

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Thank you for the history, sword_man.gif

I played in vanilla but that was so long ago it feels like a different era. Wildstar doesn't make all of the mistakes of vanilla WoW but it makes way too many of them for a game released in 2014.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Honestly I think Wildstar is really comparable to FF14 1.0

Both games were created by developers who had worked on games that a lot of people enjoyed, but that had a lot of old archaic poo poo in them that should have been removed (FF11 and vanilla WoW). Instead of learning from their mistakes, they basically recreated the same game with a new coat of paint and a few quality of life improvements. I wonder if they'll do a relaunch of Wildstar, because I honestly think that they could do interesting things with the game if they really tried.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Silver Striker posted:

I wonder if they'll do a relaunch of Wildstar, because I honestly think that they could do interesting things with the game if they really tried.

no, because it's a new ip rather than an established brand like Final Fantasy

it'll probably go f2p despite that one guy's dumb-rear end statement that he'd rather see the game shut down than go that route

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I don't remember much of FFXIV at launch but I kept reading that it was a monumental clusterfuck in all possible ways

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
it would take me about ten full posts and a couple days to list everything ffxiv 1.0 did wrong so i'll list what they did right

- the game did not overwrite the boot.ini file with it's own game configuration file (an eve online patch did this years ago)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Blackheart posted:

I don't remember much of FFXIV at launch but I kept reading that it was a monumental clusterfuck in all possible ways

I got in the beta (stress test really, Im pretty sure they didnt give a gently caress about feedback) and it basically seemed like there was no quests? There was like these things called "levees" or something and it was a generic "kill 10 dudes over there" that I picked up in the city, only when I went to the area to kill the dudes, there was pretty much none, and even though I could find the same dudes outside of the highlighted area, they didn't count. Then the game crashed or DC'd me and the levee was auto-failed and I had to go back to town to get it again.

Also the introduction stuff seemed to be a whole bunch of poo poo that I didn't care about because it was NPCs doing cool poo poo and not me. Also the UI was a godawful mess where just about anything was buried 3 levels deep and it was very obviously designed with PS3 in mind.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

sword_man.gif posted:

the original cm got the gout or something and tseric and caydiem were put in charge of the shaman patch (and hosed it up)

it was a euro cm apparently that brought up that the shaman feedback was never passed on

eyonix got really huffy and said shamans didn't deserve him after that as well because they were REALLY mad

lmao i remember that

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i cant even remember much about that patch but there was like nine thousand posts on the shaman forums after it got finalized and it had a bunch of extremely minor poo poo like "you move slightly faster in ghost wolf form. cheers"

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

sword_man.gif posted:

it would take me about ten full posts and a couple days to list everything ffxiv 1.0 did wrong so i'll list what they did right

- the game did not overwrite the boot.ini file with it's own game configuration file (an eve online patch did this years ago)

My favorite part about the whole FF14 1.0 debacle is what happened with FF11 (this is from memory so it might not be 100% accurate).

So, FF11 had an initial development team. They did everything before the game was released, and some support afterwards. At this point, FF11 was not particularly popular and most (but not all) of the things people actually liked about the game were absent. Eventually, this team departed to work on other projects (FF14 1.0), and a new team was put together to work on FF11. This team transformed the older and more archaic FF11 into the game people actually played at the worldwide release. They're responsible for basically everything people remember positively from the game. They worked on the game up until the Winds of the Goddess expansion, when they were pulled off FF11 to try and salvage FF14 1.0 into a playable game. From my understanding, they're also the ones responsible for a lot of FF14 2.0's content, although people were pulled from all over SE to work on 2.0. Finally, there's a new team on FF11 currently making new content. Why? Because FF11 is actually the most financially successful FF game to date. Which makes it all the more baffling that the original FF11 team, the ones that designed a bland and punishing game, were allowed to repeat the exact same mistakes with FF14 1.0.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Vermain posted:

i cant even remember much about that patch but there was like nine thousand posts on the shaman forums after it got finalized and it had a bunch of extremely minor poo poo like "you move slightly faster in ghost wolf form. cheers"

have an exact list:

note that any times it says "increased the amount it gets from damage/healing" think like, maybe 2%, if that

quote:

Anticipation: Now increases chance to dodge by 1-5%.
Following durations have been increased - Disease Cleansing Totem, Fire Resistance Totem, Flametongue Totem, Frost Resistance Totem, Grace of Air Totem - Ranks 1 and 2 increased, Nature Resistance Totem, Poison Cleansing Totem, Stoneskin Totem, Strength of Earth Totem - Ranks 1 through 4 increased, Tremor Totem, Windfury Totem, Windwall Totem.
The following mana costs have been reduced - Searing Totem, Mana Spring Totem, Healing Stream Totem, Rockbiter, Frostbrand, Flametongue and Windfury.
Two-Handed Axes/Maces (Enhancement Talent) - Skill levels gained with these two weapons will now be retained if you decide to unspend this talent point and return to it later.
Flame Shock - Damage over time portion of all ranks slightly increased. Mana cost of ranks 3 through 5 decreased.
Improved Reincarnation (Restoration Talent) - Fixed a bug where rank 1 of this talent was not decreasing the cooldown properly.
Elemental Fury: Tooltip now indicates it increases the critical damage for Searing Totem, Magma Totem, and Fire Nova Totem.
Fire Nova Totem: This totem now receives increased healing from effects that increase the Shaman's spell damage.
Grounding Totem: This totem will no longer reflect the Mage talent Combustion back onto the Mage.
Healing Stream Totem: This totem now receives increased healing from effects that increase the Shaman's healing.
Lightning Bolt: Mana cost reduced approximately 17%.
Lightning Shield: Some battleground power-up effects were consuming charges of Lightning Shield. They no longer cause charges to be consumed. The range on Lightning Shield has been extended to hit anyone within vision range.
Magma Totem: This totem now receives increased damage from effects that increase the Shaman's spell damage.
Searing Totem: This totem now receives increased damage from effects that increase the Shaman's spell damage.
Elemental Mastery: If you have this effect and Clearcasting at the same time, the Clearcasting effect will be consumed first.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Oxyclean posted:

I got in the beta (stress test really, Im pretty sure they didnt give a gently caress about feedback) and it basically seemed like there was no quests? There was like these things called "levees" or something and it was a generic "kill 10 dudes over there" that I picked up in the city, only when I went to the area to kill the dudes, there was pretty much none, and even though I could find the same dudes outside of the highlighted area, they didn't count. Then the game crashed or DC'd me and the levee was auto-failed and I had to go back to town to get it again.

Also the introduction stuff seemed to be a whole bunch of poo poo that I didn't care about because it was NPCs doing cool poo poo and not me. Also the UI was a godawful mess where just about anything was buried 3 levels deep and it was very obviously designed with PS3 in mind.

Leves are still present in FF14 2.0, and they're actually a decent idea. I don't remember exactly how they worked in 1.0, but currently they're basically quest tickets that you can use to do easy repeatable quests that have pretty decent rewards. They recharge over time, so you can use them at a decent pace and always have something to do. They're pretty useful for crafting, as they make leveling crafting go a lot faster and give you good objectives to work on. The problem is that in 1.0 they were basically the only source of content. It would be like if the only quests in WoW (even for leveling) were daily quests.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

sword_man.gif posted:

have an exact list:

note that any times it says "increased the amount it gets from damage/healing" think like, maybe 2%, if that

lol yeah that was the big Shaman Patch too, i remember how absolutely pissed everyone was over it

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i remember when it first came out on the ptr and flametongue weapon had a mortal strike debuff on it, and everyone made a bunch of constructive posts about how it could be changed or a different sort of effect could be included that would fit shamans better, etc., and they just removed the effect without doing anything else

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Vermain posted:

lol yeah that was the big Shaman Patch too, i remember how absolutely pissed everyone was over it

it was the big Mage Patch too and they got really good poo poo like instant arcane explosion and evocation baseline (evocation baseline yeeeooowww that would have made their day by itself), the existence of the winter's chill talent, and some other buffs

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

sword_man.gif posted:

it was the big Mage Patch too and they got really good poo poo like instant arcane explosion and evocation baseline (evocation baseline yeeeooowww that would have made their day by itself), the existence of the winter's chill talent, and some other buffs

And in the druid patch they got innervate baselined - I was assuming they'd make manatide baseline for shamans but nope. 31 point talent it remained.

Vermain posted:

i remember when it first came out on the ptr and flametongue weapon had a mortal strike debuff on it, and everyone made a bunch of constructive posts about how it could be changed or a different sort of effect could be included that would fit shamans better, etc., and they just removed the effect without doing anything else

I thought that was in BC?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

I thought that was in BC?

it might've been, there were a whole bunch of lovely shaman patches

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
it was, the 2.4 ptr

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

My favorite thing about BC was how everyone seems to love it despite the fact that the class balance was the absolute worst. Here's how you raid in BC content: Resto Shaman, Destro Warlock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Vermain posted:

it might've been, there were a whole bunch of lovely shaman patches

fwiw at the end of mists enhance was one of the best dps available at top-end gear and had some of the most ridiculous burst possible

like 10-11m damage in fifteen seconds

• Locked thread