Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

My favorite thing about BC was how everyone seems to love it despite the fact that the class balance was the absolute worst. Here's how you raid in BC content: Resto Shaman, Destro Warlock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Vermain posted:

it might've been, there were a whole bunch of lovely shaman patches

fwiw at the end of mists enhance was one of the best dps available at top-end gear and had some of the most ridiculous burst possible

like 10-11m damage in fifteen seconds

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Silver Striker posted:

My favorite thing about BC was how everyone seems to love it despite the fact that the class balance was the absolute worst. Here's how you raid in BC content: Resto Shaman, Destro Warlock.

you forgot shadow priest wearing frozen shadoweave

some of the new faces on models for wod are rly funny in an unintentional way

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Silver Striker posted:

It would be like if the only quests in WoW (even for leveling) were daily quests.

Daily quests that are automatically failed should the game crash or disconnect you or should you need to log out for any reason. I don't know how anyone could think that's an okay thing to do in an MMO.

I could totally be wrong about that being a thing, or something that they changed along they way but I remember it happening several times and a friend telling me it was an intentional feature.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

sword_man.gif posted:

you forgot shadow priest

You're right. I don't remember what the exact optimal # of them was but you only brought a few.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Silver Striker posted:

It was much improved from Vanilla because you could at least get away with playing specs like enhancement shaman, (which became super fun starting in BC) prot paladin and shadow priest.

Vanilla hybrids had to heal or gently caress off. Maybe that was the case for higher end raiding in BC but I got to do Kara, ZA and Gruul as enhancement and it loving owned.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
you might have one token ret paladin for keeping judgement of wisdom up, although if you were horde they could do respectable damage because of seal of blood

did you know?? original design document had heroism as the 30% haste buff for the raid, whereas bloodlust was going to be like an attack power boost. can you imagine the sunwell bitching if that had gone live

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011
Limited time offer on hugs!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

sword_man.gif posted:

you might have one token ret paladin for keeping judgement of wisdom up, although if you were horde they could do respectable damage because of seal of blood

I think that's the sort of thing that makes BC a favourite for some - certain specs had niches where they were incredibly useful (shadow priests in particular) - even if it's not a spec that's super sought after because a group only needs 1 or 2, it's usually pretty fun being "that guy."

Homogenization has done wonders for making forming groups not a total loving nightmare though.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Silver Striker posted:

You're right. I don't remember what the exact optimal # of them was but you only brought a few.

i know you brought a couple simply for the +shadow damage debuff that stacked with itself from multiple sources so that your destro locks who sacrificed a succubus would just spam giant-rear end shadowbolts

rogues/warriors with warglaives were effective just because they gave a big bonus to demons and nearly everything in sunwell was a demon

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Oxyclean posted:

I think that's the sort of thing that makes BC a favourite for some - certain specs had niches where they were incredibly useful (shadow priests in particular) - even if it's not a spec that's super sought after because a group only needs 1 or 2, it's usually pretty fun being "that guy."

seal of blood was incredibly stupid because it was horde only, alliance got seal of truth or vengeance or whatever, the proto version of the seal of truth that exists today

seal of blood did a bunch of extra damage on every hit based on weapon damage and judging it did a bunch of extra damage based on weapon damage at a tradeoff of hurting yourself, except hurting yourself was a good thing because then healers would heal you and spiritual attunement gave you mana back for being healed. as long as your healers didn't mind that you cut yourself for damage, then you were actually effective and the spec worked.

alliance paladins got seal of vengeance or what the gently caress ever that did a measly little dot that scaled with spellpower, not strength, so they needed intellect/strength plate (this stuff didn't exist except specifically for paladin retribution tier gear) and wound up being really shittily mediocre. could still judge wisdom tho.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

sword_man.gif posted:

that looks ugly. Like the human males still look really weird

I was kind of hoping that the MMO genre would get a kick in a groin to fix the genre's prevailing issues but that doesn't seem like it's happening. It's like the videogame equivalent to the Texas Ebola crisis, you keep wondering why they keep making the same stupid decisions.

I am wishing that Jay has a big meltdown though like that other Blizzard guy on their forums. Because there's just so much wacked out poo poo he messed up for D3 and everything else he touches.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Oxyclean posted:

It was much improved from Vanilla because you could at least get away with playing specs like enhancement shaman, (which became super fun starting in BC) prot paladin and shadow priest.

Vanilla hybrids had to heal or gently caress off. Maybe that was the case for higher end raiding in BC but I got to do Kara, ZA and Gruul as enhancement and it loving owned.

Yeah, they made a lot of good improvements to hybrids in BC but for progression content they just didn't cut it. BC also had extremely hosed class design, too. I recall the optimal Hunter DPS rotation being spamming Steady Shot with a macro because it did more DPS than anything else you could do.

I played a lot of BC as a Shadow Priest. It was nice being actually invited to do raids, but the problem was the only way I'd outdps someone is if I massively overgeared them or they straight up weren't playing their class right. It was frustrating because at least in the guilds I played in there was a very cutthroat environment among raiders and everyone was trying to one-up each other.

I also managed to get into Black Temple and Hyjal before the attunements were removed. That was a strange experience.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
shadow priest was brought for the misery debuff and vampiric touch restoring mana, not your dps

they actually continued the retribution cut yourself for dps malarkey in lich king where they gave alliance their own seal of blood and glyphing it increased the amount of mana you got from spiritual attunement

then they realized that being an active tax on the healer to do the same damage as everyone else who is not was a stupid idea and just made seal of truth

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

sword_man.gif posted:

shadow priest was brought for the misery debuff and vampiric touch restoring mana, not your dps

Yeah. That didn't matter though in my experience, where people only looked at the still buggy DPS meter. I was in a bad guild though, the kind that only got poo poo done by raiding like 20 hours a week. Not a time I remember fondly.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Black Temple is like an Xbox but made into a building, it was pretty ugly.

Making the legendaries a rare drop was stupid though. Even years later people can't even collect them for funsies because they're like a .000001% or whatever to get both.

I quit before achievements became account wide it seemed so I didn't bother I could only get two legendaries for my entire class. And after getting those two it was like I was done.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Silver Striker posted:

Yeah. That didn't matter though in my experience, where people only looked at the still buggy DPS meter. I was in a bad guild though, the kind that only got poo poo done by raiding like 20 hours a week. Not a time I remember fondly.

i'm pretty sure i was roundly terrible as resto shaman but i got brought to endgame raiding anyways because i played alliance and was willing to brain heal my way to epics

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Back then Shadow Word: Death (a key part of your rotation as a Shadow Priest) did damage to you if you didn't kill the enemy with it. It was designed to be used on cooldown and you would basically heal the damage done by it with Vampiric Embrace. That didn't stop the healing officer in my guild from forbidding me from using it.

I actually ended up gearing both Holy and Shadow and ended up having to swap around depending on what we needed. I'm pretty sure we never killed Bloodboil without me going Holy. God, what a lovely fight that was.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

As terrible as Bloodboil was I think I hated Gorefiend more. It was an incredibly simple fight people could just not do.

People made a flash version of the fight( http://www.variuse.de/feroxtgs2/ ) that is actually significantly harder than the actual fight. All you have to do is spend a little time practicing on the flash version and you'll be able to do it no problem. Nobody did this.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
for a hard fight, include random personal responsibility that's guaranteed to wipe the raid if it's hosed up

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Archimonde. Good lord. That was hell. Such a simple fight with the caveat that if anyone dies it's basically over. All you have to do is not stand in fire, and when you get launched in the air click on an item Tyrande gives you before you hit the ground. That's it.

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

I get paid to stab people with sharp objects.

Silver Striker posted:

Archimonde. Good lord. That was hell. Such a simple fight with the caveat that if anyone dies it's basically over. All you have to do is not stand in fire, and when you get launched in the air click on an item Tyrande gives you before you hit the ground. That's it.

Wow, that's pretty simple. I bet it was really frustrating when one tard hosed it up every run.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Naxx25, an instance that was piss easy, had one loving shortcoming. Razuvious. Getting two priests was often a pain for my guild, getting two of them that could figure out how to mind control and actually do the encounter was even worse. Why they didn't just have the drat control orbs in 25 man mystifies me.

e: To clarify, in the 10 man version of Naxx, there are clickable objects that allow anyone to take control of the mobs that normally get mind controlled.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

archimonde was the fight in hyjal where you just told the shittier members of your raid that they weren't participating so you could kill it

quote:

Naxx25, an instance that was piss easy, had one loving shortcoming. Razuvious.

you forgot grand widow faerlina also needed mind controls because we gotta pay homage to the original~

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
A boss where you have the use the boss's minions against them to tank sounds like a neat twist on aggro management but only being able to do that with 1 specific ability from one particular class sounds real dumb.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
it works fine when u have 40 dudes and the 1 with the ability isnt trash

i only played og wow tho so im out of touch with what happened after

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Oxyclean posted:

Daily quests that are automatically failed should the game crash or disconnect you or should you need to log out for any reason. I don't know how anyone could think that's an okay thing to do in an MMO.

I could totally be wrong about that being a thing, or something that they changed along they way but I remember it happening several times and a friend telling me it was an intentional feature.

I'm pretty sure that still is the case but you can only fail the quest after you start it and you start it separately from picking it up. It also tells you "yo if you leave or gently caress up you fail this quest."

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

Daily quests as the only quest content could work if done competently. Like, you could make a less lovely version of SWG or Eve with that idea.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Oh and leves aren't the only quests in ff14 anymore. There's a shitload of quests. If you're trying to level every job on one character you'll eventually need to just grind out leves/fates/duties (dungeons) though.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

sword_man.gif posted:

it'll probably go f2p despite that one guy's dumb-rear end statement that he'd rather see the game shut down than go that route

tbf if i was the ceo of poo poo MMO Company 10 i'd probably fire anyone who says "yeah we already have plans for f2p"

gj jeff now literally nobody is going to sub/stay subbed because they're waiting for the f2p patch we wont have for another month, retard

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

Star Wars Galaxies was like half of a good game, someone just needs to make the other half.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I thought the material gathering stuff in original FFXIV was chill as heck like mining and woodcutting and fishing. I liked to unwind doing that stuff. But then you would take all of your stuff and try to craft a bronze helmet or something and it would just explode in your hands and then it was all kind of pointless. That part was sort of stressful.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

I got in the beta (stress test really, Im pretty sure they didnt give a gently caress about feedback) and it basically seemed like there was no quests? There was like these things called "levees" or something and it was a generic "kill 10 dudes over there" that I picked up in the city, only when I went to the area to kill the dudes, there was pretty much none, and even though I could find the same dudes outside of the highlighted area, they didn't count. Then the game crashed or DC'd me and the levee was auto-failed and I had to go back to town to get it again.

Also the introduction stuff seemed to be a whole bunch of poo poo that I didn't care about because it was NPCs doing cool poo poo and not me. Also the UI was a godawful mess where just about anything was buried 3 levels deep and it was very obviously designed with PS3 in mind.

you forgot to mention that large swathes of most areas were the same few squares repeated over and over again

it was really blatantly made in some map editor without any regard for landmarks or Being Interesting

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

This is a 1.0 area map. It was worse than it looks.

Grakdesh
Jul 21, 2005

High-functioning otaku.

Silver Striker posted:

MMOs will tend to be more buggy than other types of games, because of the enormous scope involved. Wildstar is exceptionally buggy, even for an MMO. At launch, numerous class abilities either didn't work at all or worked in really stupid ways. With each patch they fix some and break others.

Unironically one of my favorite things about MMOs.

(but not Wildstar)

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Well the word got around they said this kid is insane, man
Banged in the mouth and now he's got AIDS, man

Silver Striker posted:

This is a 1.0 area map. It was worse than it looks.

the best part about the 1.0 zones and esp black shroud was taking a wrong turn and running into a level ?? aggro mob that promptly crawled up your rear end

but on the flip side the maps also had a genuine sense of scale and some cool hidden areas like the grove with the patrolling level 99 treants (level cap was 50) that would aggro on sound, forcing you to slowly walk past the giant train of god-mobs, clenching your rear end in a top hat with the force of ten thousand suns

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Well the word got around they said this kid is insane, man
Banged in the mouth and now he's got AIDS, man
PS what the map doesn't show you is that due to the dev team's total inability to keep up with SE's deadlines, whole terrain features in zones were copy/pasted multiple times so you could run past the same cliff twice or more while traveling

FFXIV 1.0 owned

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Did they pretty much scrap everything when they redesigned the game?

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Blackheart posted:

Did they pretty much scrap everything when they redesigned the game?

Yes.

When they shut down the 1.0 servers for the last time it played an fmv with Bahamut nuking the world to anybody that was logged in. It owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

sword_man.gif posted:

The character looks exactly like the player once he realizes he' (still/again) playing WoW.

• Locked thread