Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SHIROBAKO is an original anime by P.A. Works about an anime production teetering on the brink of collapse (so, a regular anime production). It opens with sweet scenes from a high school animation club, who's idealism is put to the test by the demands of the entertainment industry. This clip shows what I mean.

The show is fast paced and packed with smart gags and a likable if goofy cast. It reminds me of something Aaron Sorkin (the dude who made the The West Wing) would make, in that it gets the technical details of the job right but is kind of rose colored about everything else, but instead of politicians with ideals it's cute girls getting jobs in animation production two years out of high school.

That conflict might have been a lability, but the show pushes it so far that it comes out gleefully mad, and even two episodes in seems to illustrate a point. These people are working their hearts out sweating the details on what appears to be a really lovely anime, and despite how pathetic that can be there's something about it which is kind of wonderful.

You can watch it on Crunchyroll!

devtesla fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I Think My Harem Is Slowly Faling Apart But I Might Just Be Imagining It is a joke from the show.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

.Clash posted:

You might try a title that doesn't completely turn off newcomers. Or one that is even slightly descriptive of this actually good show.

It's more descriptive than you might think but you have a point, I'll PM Zorak.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Has anything P.A. Works been amazing before now? I really liked The Eccentric Family but that was mostly because the source material was good, and while they didn't gently caress it up they didn't do anything really exceptional with it. They seem like a low rent KyoAni with a little more eclectic output.

To be honest though, that this show is coming from this studio makes the whole thing more likable and more convincing. Maybe this is the moment they come into their own?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

OnimaruXLR posted:

The anime they're making looks terrible, and the cast is largely a bunch of dumb wieners,

I know, isn't it wonderful??

Also, it's not particularly deep or anything but Aoi's Donut obsession is pretty transparently her latching onto something instantly satisfying that reminds her of high school because her job is a lot of hard work for insubstantial reward. Characters in this show are just a bunch of quirks balanced on top of one another, but it works because the quirks are relatable and the script knows why and when to trot them out.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
These two episodes have covered like three days. It will take two cours to cover what it takes to make one cour of anime.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure that voice actor lady is going to get the job anyway because they like her inexperienced sound and the meta will kill me.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A studio staffed entirely by Tarous, each making frog noises at the slightest disturbance.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sindai posted:

Tarou is the worst. President is the best. Don't give a gently caress about anything except cooking.

Note that every scene where President brings in something he cooked the mood changes in such a way that things actually get done.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
There are many dark secrets in anime.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Tarou is the best character in the show. Plz do not kill Tarou.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That's not what I said at all!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Of course, the only person causing more problems in this production than Tarou is the director.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Super Jay Mann posted:

Good news: Tarou was only a useless shithead for one or two scenes this week

But that's the best part of the show!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

If you're wondering how Japan can make so much animation for such a small, otaku audience: there you go.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

Roboharu: The Robot I Made is Going Through Puberty, and It's Rough. sounds like a really awful series.

I'd watch that. I've already watched five different versions of that.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The only good job is financial trader.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Demicol posted:

Is there really just not a market for anyone but the hardcore fans?

No, there really isn't. They've tried to bring the prices down to earth, and each time the increase in sales didn't make up for the price drop. If you really did get prices down to what normal people would pay, you're going to require a huge sales increase, like a hundred times over, and there really aren't millions of people waiting to buy shows about being attracted to your sister. There are, however, a few thousand willing to pay hundreds of dollars a season for this stuff, so that's where they make the money.

People bring up rental places as an explanation for this madness, but most anime aren't stocked by rental shops. There's just so much anime getting made that they fill up the room they make for anime with just a small percentage of what gets made. Casual fans are stuck watching on TV only, or if they do buy stuff it's manga, novels, or merchandise. The people who make money off of that stuff are almost always part of the committee that funded the show in the first place.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Taru, I already am your overseas fan. :swoon:

devtesla fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 30, 2014

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sindai posted:

That reminded me of the guy at EA who only modeled football player noses for the FIFA games for years.

I can't find anything about this and I need to know more.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Edward IV posted:

Speaking of hallucinations, do you suppose all that censoring in the Little Match Girl reference was done after the fact in response to the dispute with the Ideon references in episode 6? It was really out of place and distracting since it takes up much of the scenes yet the blurring was unaggressive enough to make out the Toei and Sunrise characters and shows they're referencing. :sigh:

It would be amusing if this whole referencing spat gets briefly brought up in a layer episode, though.

I did enjoy the implication that any animation actually got done at Toei.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Next episode: the disk has an error on it and it doesn't actually air.

Also, the bear's letter was accepted in the ED this time!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MonsieurChoc posted:

ALso, now I really want to watch Andes Chucky.

I've tried to watch some shows like this, they're really boring.

OnimaruXLR posted:

It's probably wishful thinking on my part when I hope this whole arc with the old guy isn't subtle criticism on moe as a trend, right?

Definitely wishful thinking, this is half a moe show. It's more like it doesn't take itself too seriously, and that it's okay that moe is poo poo.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The cute girl stuff is the beautiful dream smashed to pieces by the harsh realities of the animation industry, only to be rebuilt, stronger than before.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sindai posted:

Ah, VOICE TRAINING BOOK, the seminal work on the subject.

I love this show so much.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A doujinshi about true love.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Guys this is like the least weird doujin, calm the gently caress down.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

StandardVC10 posted:

Crunchyroll says two days away. Not sure if that's true.

Unless there's a production delay they're usually correct.

Mentat Radnor posted:

So when does the second half of the series start? Google has failed me so maybe the next air date hasn't been announced but I'm impatient dammit.

Also how has no one mentioned the kickass Ghibli/Nausicaa reference yet? The plane/Giant Warrior using its weapon would make a good gif.

The Ghibli reference was kind of out of place. If I remember right, they were discussing studios for a loving otaku planes anime? That doesn't seem Ghibli like at all.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

sincx posted:

Cash stream.

I'm always amazed by how the industry can sustain itself on 4-figure sales numbers. That's a lot of starving Emas.

They are $100 each.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
There is nothing about anime that makes any sense.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DiabloCthulhu posted:

They sure are!

We have a thread for this!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Not everyone is a dork.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Respectable professionals who's work includes Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-Chan and Magical Witch Punie-chan.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Which other voice actors do you have a crush on, laplace?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Exodus is based on many different moe shows, but probably the closest to Lyrical Girl Nanoha. Don't watch Nanoha, it's terrible.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bakanogami posted:

From what I've heard, as hateable as Tarou is, industry insiders watching the show admit that types like him both tend to go far and are vital because they don't turn into depressed lumps when they screw up (like Ema) or are overworked (like Miyamori).

This is true in every industry.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

This is the glossary from the SHIROBAKO website translated! Super cool!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think it's less errors and more that they don't have to match the lip flaps this way.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ccs posted:

Especially in an industry as strange as the anime industry. When the workers are being paid almost not a living wage and having to work crazy hours, you've got to put up with some of their eccentricities.

Let just be clear, it's not a living wage. That's why we get stuff like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYUFBnAmK28

• Locked thread