Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

GKirby posted:

I always figured the idea was that Globox is the one flying, and the mosquito is just riding on him.

Nope, Globox doesn't have wings. It's definitely the mosquito doing the flying. And it's an even smaller mosquito than the one Rayman or the Teensies ride. Maybe you got confused because Globox does the firing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Psh, you can see clearly in that picture that globox has extended his arms into wings. Mosquito is just hanging on because it's upset about being obsoleted.

Opiomorphone
Nov 30, 2014
I dunno I wouldn't want to challenge Wugga's ornithological skills again. I mean he is the bird expert and I think he knows whether or not Globox is a bird or not, or if he is flying.

Also this still is a really great LP.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do like the boss fight angle they're throwing into the levels now. They look fun so far.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Sorry for the long wait. Upon returning my thesis I immeditely fell sick and my voice sounded so lovely for two weeks I couldn't record anything. But hey, here's a double update to make up for the long pause. :)

Luscious Lakes 2 (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)
Luscious Lakes 3 (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

I don't hate Fickle Fruit, but I can't say it's my favourite level either. Spending so much time when you're small is annoying and the controls just don't work for me. Whenever I try to do an upwards dash it falls short and then I have to reset it. And the orange enemies hit me surprisingly often. I'm not sure if it's just me or if this really is a difficult level, but I definitely have plenty of trouble with it.

With a final level like that, I think I'll stand behind what I said before about this being the weakest chapter in the game. But on the other hand the boss fight is the coolest in the game hands down. Not the fight itself necessarily, but the whole concept of getting swallowed and beating the boss from within. Like I said in the video, it reminds me of Yoshi's Island and that game has a special place in my heart. On a totally meaningless note, I just realized that El Stomacho says molto bene, which is Italian for very good. But "El" is the Spanish masculine definite article. So go figure.

As for the time trials, hoo boy... I played both levels for about two hours maybe, trying to get everything right, but it was a no go. Dragon Soup was definitely more frustrating. Whenever I'd clear a room REAL fast it would only bite me in the rear end in the next one, because the cycle would be different for either the beans, platforms, spatulas, pepper mills and what have you. So it basically punished me for improving my game. I highly doubt this is the first or only level to have that kind of a universal cycle, but it's definitely one of the hardest. Every room requires specific strats that take a ton of accuracy and if you're off just a little bit the run is effectively ruined. Fickle Fruit was more fun to play, but you know, small controls and ice physics. Plus it's hard to get through the ice block sections fast with the oranges bouncing around. But maybe I just suck.

As for the glitch at the end of the second vid... I don't know what causes it, but it seems that I keep finding way more glitches whenever I do let's plays. So I guess that's something?

Anyways, now that I got these vids up, I'm gonna assemble my new computer. If I disappear for another two weeks, it's because something's gone wrong.

Opiomorphone
Nov 30, 2014
That glitch at the end of the 3rd video was amusing. Bloody cheating treasure chest! :argh:

This is still a brilliant LP. Keep up the good work Wugga!
Doesn't matter how long the episodes take to make, they are definitely worth it. ♥

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
"My heartburns for you." That pun is painful.

I just noticed that the bosses are themed after the four elements. That's kind of neat.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I forget, what do you get for the gems the chests have?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I forget, what do you get for the gems the chests have?

Opens the final area.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
^^^ What he said. It's just one level though, not a whole chapter. We'll get there.

Opiomorphone posted:

This is still a brilliant LP. Keep up the good work Wugga!
Doesn't matter how long the episodes take to make, they are definitely worth it. ♥

Thanks! I appreciate it. :) Thanks also to the person who mentioned this LP in the recommendations thread, it made me smile.

Recorded all of Angsty Abyss earlier today, probably gonna start editing soon if I get Premiere to run. I imagine things are going to be quite a bit smoother now that I have a new computer up and running.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Angsty Abyss Part 1 (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

Another short chapter. Not sure whether I prefer this to Sea of Serendipity, but it's prettier. Judging by the amount of unfinished stuff in this chapter, I'd wager this is the last thing they did for the game. The map bug probably doesn't have to do with the Abyss itself, but it's fitting that it should happen here. More weird stuff is going to happen in the second part.

As for the levels, Why so Crabby? is just swimming around, basically. The current sections with the spike fish are by far the most dangerous areas and I always seem to have trouble getting past without getting hit. And that one section with no current where the fish bounce around? Sometimes they spin right into the hole you exit from, making dodging them even harder. Thankfully that didn't happen this time.

Scuba shootout is pretty cool too. Like I said, the second half of the game has the more interesting flying stages. It's gonna get a lot worse in Moody Clouds, so I may as well enjoy myself for now.

Oh, and I changed my encoding tool for this one so if you notice anything weird about the video, please let me know!

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Did you miss a secret there, or is it a random divot in the level that leads to nothing?

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

kalonZombie posted:

Did you miss a secret there, or is it a random divot in the level that leads to nothing?

There's nothing there. I was supposed to mention that but I forgot. Well spotted, though.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
I must have scared all the people away with my kazoo playing. Hopefully this video will bring everyone back.

Angsty Abyss Part 2 (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

(image courtesy of a friend)

I have no idea what happened when I recorded, but Beware of Mini-Murray just glitched the hell out of itself. I've seen my share of small bugs here and there, but this takes the cake. I intended to show the boss level glitch, but that's nothing compared to this. I don't think I have anything to add.

EDIT:

:siren: poo poo :siren:

I just realized that I have not ticked the web optimized option in handbrake for the last two videos. Would you kindly report whether the Baldurdash videos load for you or not so I can re-encode the vids if necessary. Thanks!

Wugga fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 28, 2015

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I guess if you could do that consistently, you could really scrape of some time when speeding through this level. But I guess that would be quite lame anyway.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Wugga posted:

EDIT:

:siren: poo poo :siren:

I just realized that I have not ticked the web optimized option in handbrake for the last two videos. Would you kindly report whether the Baldurdash videos load for you or not so I can re-encode the vids if necessary. Thanks!

Oh, right. I meant to mention this after the last vid, but forgot: on Baldurdash, it doesn't play right away, but it does load, and it plays once the video is fully loaded.

marasamune
Jan 20, 2006

"Oh! Doctor STILES!"
It makes you load the entire video before it plays. It's only slightly annoying though, it's not that bad because this and the previous videos aren't very long. It would be painful on a longer video.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
It should work properly now. I asked Baldurk about it and he did some black magic to make it work. Future videos shouldn't have the same problem.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Where does pig latin come from?

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

Samovar posted:

Eecegray.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Samovar posted:

Geop's wind waker thread.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013

Samovar posted:

Pigs

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

More likely than Latin.

Just popping in to say the time trial video for Moody Clouds is going to be pretty neat, I just tied with the best time of On Top of Old Smokey and shaved 5 seconds off the best time on Mecha no Mistake found on Youtube. Took a lot of tries and several hours but it was worth it. I guess?

Also, I have a question for you people. Seeing how I've recorded nearly everything by now, is there anything you want to see before this LP is over? Anything I've missed? Something that's gone under the radar? Something you're interested in that I haven't covered?

I was thinking about maybe making an extra video about Rayman Legends' Back to Origins chapter. Nothing fancy, just show off a few levels and some of the biggest differences if I can find them. In fact, if you can remember which levels underwent the biggest changes, please post it here or send me a PM and you can save me a lot of time hunting them down. I've only played Back to Origins once and the only thing I remember is that they left some levels out.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Show off Globox more, you monster.

He's the best.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

kalonZombie posted:

Show off Globox more, you monster.

He's the best.

Heh, I actually used him for a video I made... but I'm not sure if I'm gonna post it. It was a tongue-in-cheek live commentary video with commentary on our new government done in an exaggerated accent and I chose Globox solely on the basis that he has the colors of the Finnish flag. I feel kind of bad. For Globox, that is.

While I contemplate whether to post it or not, here's a proper update.

27 - Angsty Abyss Part 3 (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

No pictures, I'm too tired right now.

As for the levels, Angsty Abyss feels unfinished to the very end. Aside from Risky Ruin this update is kind of disappointing. No challenge, no point, nothing. Not much I can do about that. Thankfully things will get a lot more interesting when we get to Moody Clouds.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
This felt somewhat underwhelming. Sorry.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
On the other hand I'm glad to see it. I played Rayman Legends to death and finished all the Origins replay levels in that game, but I never finished Origins.

Looking forward to seeing the end!

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Air is lava! posted:

This felt somewhat underwhelming. Sorry.

Don't I know it. It's surprisingly difficult to even come up with things to say when there's close to nothing going on. There wasn't even enough material to put together a toolbox-section.

dscruffy1 posted:

Looking forward to seeing the end!

So am I, man. So am I.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Oh the final stage is fun indeed, it's probably the hardest single level in both Origins and Legends, and it is awesome!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Judge Tesla posted:

Oh the final stage is fun indeed, it's probably the hardest single level in both Origins and Legends, and it is awesome!

Truth, man, truth.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
We're getting close to the end here.

Moody Clouds Part 1 (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

Ok, so I love Moody Clouds. It's challenging as hell, even after all the second-tier worlds this chapter will kick your rear end when you visit it for the first time. You can imagine my frustration when I entered it the first time and had to go through a Moskito level, but at the end of it, I couldn't help but be astounded by the background graphics. And then it throws Old Smokey and Mecha no Mistake your way, both of which are just really good platforming stages, albeit really tough at first. I'm guessing I've gotten better at the game in the course of this LP, because beating Mecha without dying only took me about 3 tries, and I only died once in the giant cog room. I was expecting it to take many more attempts.

Speaking of the graphics, I think the Steampunk aesthetic is what really makes this chapter shine. It's like something out of a Miyazaki movie and I love it to bits. And it's such a stark contrast to every other chapter, we've been to the jungle, the desert, climbed a mountain and so on. I don't know, I just really, really like the way it looks and feels like a humongous steel fortress in the sky.

I have no clue how I haven't noticed that the robots can be taken out with Punching gloves. I'm guessing I've always lost the ability due to getting hit or something, or I just flat out forgot.

Next up will be Time Trials, because I don't want to beat the game first and then come back to loose ends. Also doing something different for the last toolbox section. Should be a blast.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Yea, it really sets the tone as being something completely different; the fact all the enemies are also way more hostile adds to it.

This isn't an area that's simply been changed to be more dangerous but created to be inimical to Rayman and the player.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
You weren't the only one who though that that level looked like a super meet boy level.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Moody Clouds Part 2 (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

Changing things up a bit here. I think it's bad form to clear the game and go back to time trials, so let's get those out of the way first.

The time trials for Moody Clouds are among my favourites. They're tough as nails and require extremely precise inputs if you want to clear the rooms without having to stop, but at the same time they're also among the most rewarding stages in a speed running sense. They're also extremely well designed for that purpose, with everything in just the right place. A huge improvement on Angsty Abyss.

Smokey is a level that I played a lot back when I first got the game on the PS3. I actually went back to see my time in that and I beat it by over 10 seconds here. 52 seconds is tied with the best time I found on Youtube (basically the only place where you can even look for IL times), and in that one the last screen had less flying fish enemies (Wii version) so I'd call this a successful run.

Fun fact about Mecha no Mistake: some of the level elements seem to be on a universal cycle. I noticed this when I started to practice the chain jumping in the room with the disappearing platforms. If I got up to that point and casually ran through it, I faced no problems. However, using the dash-jump-crouch-jump strategy seemed to mess up the cycle in a way that I found myself in the cog room unable to proceed because they were positioned wrong. Even so, I eventually got the timing just right, and looks like I'm 5 seconds ahead of the best time I found. Too bad there isn't a leaderboard and no one cares about individual level runs, but I can still revel in success.

These runs took maybe 4 hours each. Man, the things I do for this LP. Feel free to inundate the thread with words of praise.

------------------------

Sooooo that leaves us with the last stage and Land of the Livid Dead. I'm still thinking about an extra episode where I compare Origins and Legends (since I will most definitely never LP Legends). I'm not 100% sure on that, but seeing how long this LP has taken already, an additional week or two probably won't hurt anyone.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I always love how you make all of this look so dynamic.
But I agree that this murphy skip is kind of cheesy.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jun 27, 2015

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
Well, colour me impressed. I have neither the persistence nor the reflexes for speed running, so it's always cool to see someone put in the effort for clearing levels so fast and making it look so easy.

That enough words of praise for you?

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Air is lava! posted:

I always love how you make all of this look so dynamic.
But I agree that this murphy skip is kind of cheesy.

Yeah, it's kind of a bummer. I mean it's a good mechanic to have so people won't get stuck in the game, but I just feel it makes speedruns kind of a bore. This was one of the few games where I thought I might want to try my hand at speedrunning the game from start to finish, but the level skip just killed that. Of course there's the 100% category, but that takes HOURS to beat. Not to mention all the practicing etc. I have better things to do with my time. Besides the small speedrun community for this game is all but dead anyway.

GirlCalledBob posted:

Well, colour me impressed. I have neither the persistence nor the reflexes for speed running, so it's always cool to see someone put in the effort for clearing levels so fast and making it look so easy.

That enough words of praise for you?

I think I can muster up a few more words for the next update with this!

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Just a heads up, editing for the last Moody Clouds vid is done and just needs the commentary now. I'm also working on the Rayman Legends extra vid. Probably gonna take a week or so.

In the meantime, I started a side LP of BIT.TRIP.RUNNER, if you need something to waste your time away with.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
UPDATE!

Moody Clouds Part 3 (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

In this episode we'll wrap up Moody Clouds and the main game. This video took a long time to make, because I rewrote my final thoughts a number of times and had to redo commentary probably 5 times. But I'm glad with how it turned out.

I wanted to beat the final 3 stages in a row because they flow together real nicely. The Reveal is a pretty good way to kick things off and it gets pretty silly towards the end. What follows is one of my favourite levels in the game, Get Away. I'm actually slightly surprised how short it is when you beat it without any mistakes, because I died there several times when I first played the game.

And, sigh, of course it ends with a Moskito level. Shoot for the stars is not bad level, but goddamn is it difficult. I managed to record a real good run, but the majority of my attempts take a life or two, and it's not a given that I'll get 350 Lums every time, either. Personally, I would've made Get Away the final stage and made it slightly longer. It would've been a perfect way to end things, but we get a flying stage instead. It fits the mood well enough, like I said in the video, but I just really prefer the second level and would've been happy to see the game end there and then.

The credits are among the longest I've ever seen. I sped the whole thing up by 185% and it still takes forever. It lended itself really well for a final analysis of the game, and I wanted to get that out of the way before the final video. Before you get cross, it's my personal viewpoint, so feel free to disagree or point out any shortcomings.

Anyway, next up is Land of the Livid Dead and after that I can finally put this thing to rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Thanks for taking us through this game, looking foward to the Livid Dead.

So... you gonna do Rayman Legends?

• Locked thread