Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

It's downright gorgeous and a total blast to play alone or with friends. A truly realized vision at the top of its genre, Rayman Origins is an extravaganza with plenty of action to keep it fresh from start to finish and beyond. -- IGN [95/100]

Rayman Origins is a 2d platformer released in 2011. It was designed by the original creator of the series, Michel Ancel, who hasn't worked on the series since Rayman 2: The Great Escape. It was met with critical acclaim and was lauded for its graphics, music and gameplay. People have pointed out similarities with contemporary games like Super Mario Bros Wii and Donkey Kong Country Returns and sure enough it feels like it's borrowed some elements from them both. The game has a vivid colour scheme and a playful, zany feel to it and the later levels are quite challenging, which is why I think it's one of the best platformers ever made alongside its sequel, Rayman Legends. Also there are no lives in the game, which is great. Let's face it, 1UPs and continues belong in the past.

Rayman and his buddies' snoring wakes up their neighbours from the Land of the Livid Dead, who promptly attack the Glade of Dreams and capture Rayman and co. During their sleep, Bubble Dreamer has dreamt up loads of nasty stuff and the Glade of Dreams is in turmoil. In order to make things right, Rayman must find electoons to fix the gaps between worlds and make things right again. Yeah, it's pretty vague, I know. Just go along with it.

100%. All collectibles, i.e. Electoons, Gold Medals and Skull Teeth will be collected in this Let's Play while trying to provide an informative commentary and proficient speedruns.

Spoiler policy: Feel free to discuss stuff I haven't shown off yet. This game is silly, absurd, whimsical, loony and the story is just a bunch of crazy stuff thrown together. However, there are a few plot twists towards the end. I'd rather you didn't talk about them. Consider the people who want to be kept in the dark, should they exist.

OTHER RAYMAN LP'S
Can't get your Rayman fix here? Check these this thread out:

Rayman, by Nidoking
Nidoking plays and finishes the first Rayman game. That's quite a feat, as the game is extremely difficult. The Viddler links are dead, so make sure to click on the Internet Archive-link at the top. Or go to Baldurdash instead.

Part 1: (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)
Part 2: (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)
Part 3: (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

(Part 1.1 Erratum:) (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)
(Part 1.1.1 Birdwatching:) (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

Extra: Origins, Legends, Etc. (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

Wugga fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Bubble Dreamer
The Supreme Being, the Creator, the Platonic Demiurge. Bubble Dreamer is the one who dreamt up the Glade of Dreams and all its inhabitants, thus giving them life. Too bad he's a sensitive artist, so on a bad day his bad dreams end up wrecking poo poo up in the Glades. Which is why we're in this mess in the first place!

Rayman
Our slap-happy hero may not have limbs, but he can still kick serious butt. When Bubble Dreamer had his first bad dream, a bunch of nymphs gathered around and decided to conjure up a carefree saviour. Too bad his arms are missing because the nymphs were distracted by a bunch of ZOMBIE CHICKENS. Don't look at me, that's what it says in the manual!

Globox
Rayman's buddy makes a triumphant return. Globox made his first appearence in Rayman 2, where he rescued Rayman from a bunch of cyborg pirates or somesuch. It's all very confusing. He's the undisputed champion of powernapping and Fung-Ku. There are several rumours going around why he turned from red to blue, but a number of eyewitnesses swear it had something to do with bubeastietubbis. Or it might've been too much plum juice. This is all from the manual, stop giving me those weird looks!

Teensies
A bunch of magical creatures who played some sort of role in Rayman 2. They don't really have a lot to do with the game, but some of them are playable characters.

Betilla the Fairy
One of the Nymphs who created Rayman. In the first Rayman game she gave you new powerups as you went along, and she serves a similar purpose here along with her sisters.

The Magician and his Hat
Narrator of the intro video of the first Rayman game, the Magician turns out to be not another Rayman, but in fact a Teensie. He'll give you advice via his hat and will exchange Lums for Electoons. Hooray!

Lums: Beings of pure energy and a sunny disposition. They can be found in all levels in large quantities and may be exchanged for Electoons at the end of each level. Apparently it's supposed to be pronounced "Looms", but hell if I ever will.

Lum King: Picking one of these up will make all other Lums turn red and dance for a few seconds and sing a tune that is absolutely not annoying at all. Also they will give you twice the Lums during that time.

Skull Coin: Worth 25 Lums, they're usually tucked away out of sight. In order to get the bonus, you need to either get far enough from the place you picked it up from or wait for a few seconds. If you get hit you'll have to try again.

Heart: Allows you to get hit once without dying. If you already have a heart, any subsequent ones you pick up grant you 5 Lums.

Blue Punch: Closest thing to a weapon you can get. Shoots out horizontally when you attack and is useful in taking out targets from a distance. They have a smiling face, because they know they get to smack the living daylight out of bad guys. Extremely rare and generally found in areas where you don't need them.

Skull Tooth: Some crazy scythe-wielding guy calling himself Mr. Death living in the Snoring Tree lost his teeth and now we have to play an anti-tooth fairy and return them to him. In return for his teeth he'll grant us access to the Land of the Livid Dead.

Electoons: The stuff that dreams are made of. During the recent dream-meltdown of Bubble Dreamer, a whole bunch of them were put in cages by the bad guys. As a result, the dream
fabric has fallen to pieces and the bridges between worlds crumbled down. So we need to release them to make things right again. It's kind of out there, but this makes a lot more sense than Inception.

Lum Medal: Get enough Lums in a level, get a shining Golden Lum Medal! They do nothing! Nada! Zip! Zilch! Rayman loves them though, because whenever you get one he starts raving
like there's no tomorrow.

Time Trial Cup: Brag rights for being a speed demon! The prize for clearing Time Trials in under the par time. Highly pointless.

Wugga fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 5, 2015

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
What's this? An actual new video?

Desert of Dijeridoos Pt. 3 (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

Wugga fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Oct 17, 2014

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Evil food ahead!

Part 1 (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Hello, thread. Here's a new video:

Gourmand Land Part 2 (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Personally I enjoy the ice levels of Gourmand Land more, which is weird seeing how I usually find them somewhat obnoxious. On the general level, my vote would go to the fire themed stages, but speedrunning is a ton of fun with the ice physics.

Fractures posted:

(Also, in Dashing thru the Snow you missed a coin. Once the level starts get small then return all the way left. This one is really irritating to find and get as it break the flow of the level.)

So I did! I've been wondering if I had missed a coin since the lums are so scarce in the level, but I never checked there. Thanks for pointing that out!

Oh, and something I'd forgotten to mention in the OP: aside from the HUGE REVELATION AT THE END, it's not like there's an actual plot for the game, so feel free to talk about stuff I haven't shown off yet if you like.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Dr. Buttass posted:

You know, I actually didn't much like the size change thing. Maybe it's just me but it didn't really add much to the platforming, in my opinion.

I'm with you there. The changes in the control scheme feel awkward and they don't even use the ability that much in the game, so you never really get used to it. It would've been so much more interesting if there were, say, branching paths where the other uses the small size and the other one doesn't. They had stuff like that in Dynamite Headdy on the Genesis and it was genius. And that was back in 1994.

With a little imagination it really could have been a fun power-up. Now it's just kind of bland and feels off most of the time.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Glazius posted:

I am surprised there were only three real levels in that world. Maybe there'll be a reprise later?

You might be on to something there.

Anyway, just chiming in to say the Gourmand Land time trial video will most likely be delayed until tomorrow because:

1) I had it all compressed and ready but I had to splice in some extra material and forgot to encode it again.
2) It takes a couple of hours to do and hell if I'm not spending that time on Binding of Isaac: Rebirth tonight.

Anyway, it'll be up tomorrow at the latest.

EDIT: Well imagine that, looks like I can actually play Isaac and encode at the same time. Never mind, update coming in a few hours.

Wugga fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 7, 2014

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
:siren: Update! :siren:

Gourmand Land part 3 (Time Trials) (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Judge Tesla posted:

I'll say this, I did finish every single level in the game, including the final one, but I didn't really do most of the time trials, and that goes for Legends too, and holy poo poo did that game have some nasty stages for speedrunning.

Yeah, the levels towards the end get extremely tricky, especially if you try to get a "perfect" run. Some levels like On Top of Old Smokey are just filled with tough sections and every time you get hit you have to go back to the starting screen, which is by far the worst of the lot. I must have wasted a few hundred deaths on that level alone just to get a good time.

... Which was kind of pointless since there isn't a leaderboard. :smith:

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
:siren: Update :siren:

Sea of Serendipity Part 1 (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

Much like ice levels in platformers, I'm normally torn about water levels. You know where this is going, right?

Yeah, Origins did it really well. The controls feel natural as you can just press wherever you wish to go. Still, I tend to do more mistakes here, since I keep dashing to gain speed, but it can go awry because you can't turn quickly enough after dashing. If your original trajectory is off, you'll spin straight into obstacles. Plenty of that going on in the video. The hitboxes are... interesting. I swear I've swam through a jellyfish several times, whereas sometimes I barely graze an enemy and it hits me. Thankfully, it doesn't cripple gameplay, just makes me a bit wary at times.

The atmosphere is staggering. The ambience created by the music plays together with the different areas - dark and light - of the level, as well. In brightly lit areas there are vivid colours of tropical fish and algae and it feels calming, whereas as the deep dark areas feel solitary and slightly pressing at times. Once again, they did a brilliant job here.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Judge Tesla posted:

The Vita version actually has a few exclusive trophies and gimmicks, you can tap enemies on the screen to kill them when they are bubbled and also collect any Lums or hearts in bubbles, there's also new collectibles, 3 per level and these require a lot of screen tapping to locate since they are hidden in the scenery, but they do make a very distinctive noise when you are close to them.

Nice. Unfortunately I don't have Vita (or the means to record it even if I did) so I can't show this in the course of the LP, but I'll make note to mention it at some point in the future.

Sudden poll: What do you guys think about the Speedrun Trashbin segments in the time trial videos? I thought they'd be a nice addition, since I obviously edit out any gently caress-ups from the proper runs and they allow you to see "behind the scenes", so to speak. I wouldn't include one if a run goes off without hitch, but on the whole, do you think they are even mildly interesting and entertaining or just bland, grating and unexciting.

I'd like to know since they can take a lot of work to put together.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
New video!

Let's Play Rayman Origins 11 - Sea of Serendipity Part 2 (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Samovar posted:

Pkease tell me there are no more Lum chorals in this game.

You're in luck. There's only a chant.

AHungryRobot posted:

Wow, seriously? Those tunes are pretty good. I mean seriously listen to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUy3e2cJlX4

But no there's only two of those kinds of tracks in the game as far as I know.

According to this interview you just named the composer Christophe Heral's favourite song in the game. Kind of an odd choice if you ask me, but to each their own...

I remember reading somewhere that he composed the entire soundtrack in something like two weeks with Billy Martin, which is just insanely impressive considering the variety of songs here.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Sorry about the late update. I haven't had access to my computer lately and haven't been able to make more videos as a result. The 5th world has been recorded, it just needs editing and commentary.

Sea of Serendipity Part 3 (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

Just three levels in this one. I never felt at home with the SoS time trials, but they're not super difficult or anything. Chain attacking enemies still works underwater, and you can move faster by attacking, but if you just want the Electoon and don't care for your time, you can just swim casually (holding the run button, naturally) through both Swimming with Stars and Freaking Flipper and have more than enough time to get them.

Port 'o Panic ends before the swimming section. It's probably my favourite as far as time trials go. Lots of little slopes to gain speed and the whole airship trying to gun you down -sequence is a ton of fun. It's also easier than trying to scrounge all the valuables on a normal playthrough.

Next time: mountaing climbing.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Update!

Mystical Pique Part 1 (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

Mystical Pique is a mountain/cave chapter and it's a nice change of scenery after swimming and ice levels. The Pique is a ton of fun, not least because of our last power-up: wall running. They certainly make you use it a lot, too. Lots of treasures are hidden in areas you need to access with it as well, so you'll get plenty of practice with it.

Moseying the Mountain functions as an introductory level in the same vein as Port 'o Panic, where the first half is more typical platforming rather reminiscient of Jibberish Jungle with a similar colour scheme. Once you get the powerup it changes quite a bit though, much like was the case in world 4. I don't play it a whole lot due to some silly minigames (that can also glitch the gently caress out) and because you can't skip the power-up scene. Yes, I'm impatient like that.

Mystical Munkeys on the other hand gives us indoor and outdoor sections that have an entirely different atmosphere and gameplay. We get some more ice in the outdoor areas, but it doesn't feel like replaying Gourmand Land, as the levels are constructed vertically. Makes sense, since it's a mountain/cave world of sorts.

All in all a great chapter, it's a shame it only has four levels plus the Tricky Treasure. I could definitely spend some more time in the cave areas.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Glazius posted:

Man, they really set you up to be a big jerk to those wizards.

You can cause them some more distress, actually. If you keep attacking them while they're stuck on the wrong side of the door, you can push them inside it and they're stuck there for good. And once on the second screen they're completely docile and never attack you either. The level is basically a huge red wizard harrasment center.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Just a heads up, I just encoded the second Pique video..... and the audio is a total mess with constant white noise on left channel. It's also all slowed down to about 10% and the pitch is affected as well. I have no idea what may have caused it and hopefully I can figure it out soon enough, but obviously it's gonna a little while. Probably wont' be up until tomorrow.

Sorry. :(

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Nevermind, I got it to work. And it only required a few live sacrifices.

Mystical Pique Part 2 (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

This update is rather short, thanks to Mystical Pique having only 4 levels and the Tricky Treasure. I originally wanted to clump the first two updates together, but I opted for the familiar concept of 3 videos per world.

Way of the electoons is the last bridge level and it's also the most interesting one by far. For all the previous ones, you'd get enough Lums for two Electoons no problem, but here you really need to memorize the level. That said, I wouldn't call it difficult. I usually prefer good flow over arbitrary collectible positioning, but it's short enough that it won't get annoying even if you have to redo it a few times. I also keep calling Lums Electoons in the video, but it doesn't matter because PERFECT SCORE! :toot:

Golly G. Golem is much like Mystical Munkeys and the latter half Moseying the Mountain. It also has the third boss fight of the game (fourth if you count the two Murrays in Sea of Serendipity, which I don't) and he's piss easy, much like all the bosses so far. Come to think of it, I think the Boss Bird way back in world 1 was the hardest boss we've seen. I would have enjoyed some extra challenge, but it's still better than ending things with a Mosquito level.

To conclude: Mystical Pique is awesome. And it only gets better with the time trials.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Air is lava! posted:

Wow, this game is bigger than I thought. I was under the impression that you'd get all of the levels from Origins in Legends, but there seem to be a few they didn't include in the sequel.

Origins has about 60 levels, but only 40 were imported to Legends. It's been a while since I've played Legends, but according to this list we've already seen some levels that didn't make it to the remakes. They also clumped the easy and hard worlds together into one.

As for the difficulty, the controls in Legends are also way more responsive, thanks to an improved physics engine. It's really obvious in Tricky Treasure maps, which I cleared on my first try in Legends, despite some of them taking me several tries in Origins. It's other tweaks that made "Back to Origins" inferior to the original, however; if I could, I'd import Legends' controls to Origins any day. They're massively superior.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Update!

Mystical Pique Part 3 (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

We're just about halfway through the game now with the alternative four worlds and Moody Clouds left. I considered putting the next world up for a vote, but since I'm a sucker for consistency - and because I sort of already recorded Ticklish Temples - I think I'll just do them in the same order as the first half. However, since we now have all the abilities, it could be cool to revisit some older levels and redo time trials properly and I'll definitely be taking suggestions for those.

I'm pretty happy with how these levels turned out. Aside maybe from Moseying, which started off terribly and was full of stupid little mistakes. Munkeys and Golly on the other hand I'm pretty content with. There are definitely some things I'd do differently if I went back to record, but you could spend a week with each level perfecting each screen and there are actual speedruns out there.

I know keep repeating myself, but Time Trials and speedrunning really make this chapter shine. In fact I think it's the best chapter for that so far thanks to the wallrunning ability, and most importantly the ability to jump off walls while running on them. It's a massive speed boost in several areas and makes you rethink how to clear rooms. It's a totally new angle for running the game and I love it.

Next time: the game gets difficult.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
I'm not crazy about posting to say there isn't an update, but... there isn't one. Instead, here's an explanation as to why:

It's been a rather hectic start for the year. I've been trying to find work, wrapping up my master's thesis that's been in the works for about a year now and my band's in the process of releasing an album so between writing and listening to music tracks for errors and generally sorting things out I'm just really loving tired all the time. I also can't very well record whenever I want because I don't live alone. I've had two videos edited waiting for commentary and I've tried making commentary a few times when I'm by myself but the end result has been less than satisfactory, probably due to aforementioned drowsiness. I mean I could just blurt out whatever pops in my head without giving it a second thought and post the video, but the end result would be horrendous so I'd rather take my time and meticulously edit out any stutters and ummms and uhhs and what have you. That's worked so far in my opinion and I think everyone will be happier with somewhat thought-out commentary than mediocre adlib.

Anyway, thread isn't dead, it's just resting. Thanks for understanding. :)

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Told you this thread isn't dead. Here, have an update.

Ticklish Temples Part 1 (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

So, second half of the game. Counterparts to the first four worlds with a bit of an increase in challenge and it starts off strong. By now the game expects you to have mastered all the various powerups you have and it makes use of all of them right from the get-go. As I say in the video, they don't utilize them that much later on, which I think is a missed opportunity, but at least there's something. Like a few swimming sections here and there. It keeps things interesting and fun to play. Speaking of which, many of the levels appear to be kind of sibling levels to the first half. It's like they had a concept for a level and made two of them with differing difficulty. Some might call it lazy. I think it's brilliant. Kind of brings Super Meat Boy's Dark World to mind.

The difficulty curve is nice. While there isn't any set order to do the "hard" worlds, I find Ticklish Temples to be probably the easiest of the lot, which is why it's a good way to kick things off.

I think I actually prefer the second half to the first. Not because of the difficulty, but because the levels themselves are much more enjoyable somehow. Mind you, my first time playing I drat near ripped my hair out in some of these stages because they handed me my rear end. Actually, they handed me several asses. Playing them now, they're not that tough, but hoo boy, not having mastered all the controls when you enter this phase of the game means you're in a world of hurt. Or maybe I'm just a bad player, take your pick.

Lastly, I had to record the audio in several takes in the course of a few weeks so try not to mind the differing tones of my voice. It's suprisingly difficult to imitate your intonation and tone from the day before.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Man, this game is just so colourful, though it keeps reminding me of Jazz Jackrabbit and how they never made a sequel. Alas.

Well, it's nearly two decades old, but there actually was a sequel. As far as I can remember, it's really good, too. I think it's abandonware and you can legally download it, but I won't post a link in case it's considered :filez:

Oh, and by the way, here's an update.

Ticklish Temples Part 2: (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

Now that we're (nearly) done with World 6 I can safely say it's one of my favorites*. It makes use of powerups a lot and there's a ton of variety in the levels. It's not that the later worlds lack variety, but it's just so refreshing to start "anew" in a manner of speaking and get all these different looking areas and fluctuating musical cues. If I'd played any other "hard" world before this one, they probably would've been just as memorable, but since I went for this one first, it automatically latched itself in that part of my brain that always remembers awesome stuff.

Climb out is neat because there aren't that many vertical levels in the game and because it gives you several different paths to take. Of course, it also makes speedrunning a bastard and half since you have to time each path separately and usually try different tactics to see what works and what doesn't. Still flowing is my favourite in World 6 because of aforementioned variety. There's some strange stuff about it like that one secret I mention in the video, but it's an all-around solid level and just a pleasure to play. Poor little daisy is cool and all, but I 'm not a huge fan of boss fights that are always the same. Speedrunners would probably nail me to a cross for saying this, but RNG is so much more engaging than Preset Rule-of-3 when it comes to bosses. I never come back to the boss fights in this game when I play individual levels and I didn't even remember the pattern for Carnivora during my test runs and died a few times like a total noob.

Sidenote: goddamnit I redid my commentary several times and tried to iron out mistakes but accidentally referred to Carnivora as both a he and a she. Could be because we don't have gender specific pronouns and my mind automatically goes to masculine when referring to ambiguous flower-monsters, but I swear I keep making that mistake. Every country should just drop the whole gender-specific nonsense and get a bit closer to a Nordic linguistically egalitarian utopia.

Next update is in the works, and I actually have something new planned to replace the speedrun trashbin-stuff cause I think it was getting kind of old, so stay tuned.

*I'll keep saying this about all the future worlds, too. Take it with a grain of salt.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Samovar posted:

When the heck is Carnivora ever referred to being male/female in the game?

Pretty sure s/he isn't. I'm getting most of my information from the Rayman Wiki, which in turn usually refers to hidden game files and interviews from devs. I sincerely doubt anyone ever pointed out Carnivora's gender and I don't actually care; I just dislike having inconsistencies like that in the video after going through it with a fine tooth comb. But yeah, I doubt many people would've even noticed if I hadn't pointed it out myself. :)

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
UPDATE!

Ticklish Temples Part 3 (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

That took a lot of time to put together. And I left a bunch of stuff out as well. Please don't hold it against me if I drop this from the next time trial video cause hoooooo boy my head is spinning from all the editing.

Can't really think of anything else to say about this one, the video says it all. Feel free to ask any questions though. Or point out any flaws, whatever. I'm off to not play Rayman for a while.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Major_JF posted:

If they gave a time credit for lums, like 1sec for every 10 lums, how do you thing that would change how you approached these things?

That would make it somewhat different I guess. It would really depend on the bonus you'd get, though; most Lums are so out of your way, there'd be no point in spending time collecting most of them as you can clear a lot of distance in a matter of seconds. I'd imagine some Lum King bonuses would be worth your while and possibly a coin here and there. Maybe if they stopped the timer altogether for a short time it would be different. It would make for an interesting game mode, though.

Dr. Buttass posted:

One thing they do that I really like is that they record your best run on each level and attach it to the leaderboards; so, if you're having trouble with a level, you can go on the leaderboards and see how the people higher on the charts did it, to see what you can do to improve your own time, and then just jump right back in while it's still fresh in your mind. I don't really see that a whole lot and I wish more speedrun games did it.

Rayman Legends did something in the same vein. You can turn on "ghosts" for other players in weekly and daily challenges while running them yourself. While it's somewhat intrusive it can be a big help if you're having trouble figuring something out or if you want pointers from better runners. I really loved plotting out the routes in that one myself and it's the probably main reason I'm so familiar with all the different strategies for Origins as well. Sometimes I think of going back to playing them, but after the game stopped working for me for over a year I have no hopes of getting back to Top 10 on the leaderboards ever again so I just sort of dropped it. It might be for the best, though. It was a total timesink.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
New world, new update y'all.

I also updated the second post, added descriptions for Blue Punch -powerup and the Time Trial cup if anyone cares for that stuff. Oh, and slightly altered banners for the first post too. Isn't it funny how much you can accomplish when you have important academic deadlines to meet?

Grumbling Grottos Part 1: (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

Grumbling Grottos is like a collection of gimmick levels. I mean sure, Gourmand Land was hot/cold and the Sea of Serendipity was just swimming around... but none of them had as much variety as Grottos does. The closest it comes to "typical" level design is High Voltage, which we won't see until the next update. Everything else has something else going for it. Also, awesome music and backgrounds.

Savage Swarms is awesome and shows you can make a perfectly good level without any beatable baddies. I never even noticed this until editing, which probably means it's a good thing, right?

If I had to pick my least favourite of the lot, it would definitely be Tricky Winds. It's so long-winded (oh yeah, that's going straight to the youtube-description) and slow I feel it should either be half as long or heavily rely on other mechanics than floating around. It just feels like a longer version of Wind or Lose. On the other hand, the secret rooms are fun to play. If they took the ideas for those rooms and used them for the level more, it would be so much better. I'd much rather see a maze room with several wind pipes that take you all over the place Looney Tunes-style than slowly float upwards or right.

Don't shoot the DJ is a.... decent flying level. I guess. Yeah. That's all I'm gonna say about that.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Samovar posted:

Uh... I distinctly remember seeing a bird in that last section where you have to hit those gongs before entering the ending scene, at 05:16.

You, dear sir, should lay off the hallucinogens! If that were true, I'd probably have to mention that in a future video somewhere!

I have no loving clue how my mind erased that.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Rayman Origins 19.5 - Erratum (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

I may have gone a little bit overboard here. I humbly apologize for yelling and making a scene in this video. It was immature, uncalled for and it's the last time I'll let my feelings take over me. I hope we can all put this behind us and act as if this never happened.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Fractures posted:

So, would now be a bad time to point out there are also birds (that you punch) at 2:00 and 2:07 in the last video? Still, 3 is almost 1, which is almost 0, so you were basically right...

Yeah those don't count.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

FoolyCharged posted:

Well if you didn't bother meticulously counting the number of bad guys why should they? :v:

If you think you can coax me into making another video, you are gravely mistaken!

I'm uploading an actual update this weekend.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
I promised an update this weekend, didn't I? Here you go.

Grumbling Grottos Part 2: (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

So, we're back on track. And to make up for the absence of birds in the previous update, there's a giant one in this one!

I suck at Photoshop.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

second-hand smegma posted:

Origins is a better game than Legends, bosses included. Too bad they hosed around with the origins levels when they remastered them.

I don't know exactly what you're referring to with "hosed around", but I have to say that personally, having played Origins through quite a few times time I rather enjoyed the fact they included the captive Teensies in the remastered levels. It breathed new life into them, not to mention the upgraded graphics and improved controls made them prettier and slightly more enjoyable to play. The only thing that made the Legends' one worse, in my opinion, was that getting Lums was made waaaay too easy. I mean there was zero challenge in getting enough of them, what with the aforemantioned teensies pouring them your way. And the paintings gallery wasn't quite as charming as the world map in Origins. But if I had my way, I'd take Legends' graphics and controls and slam them onto Origins and hey presto: better game.

Thanks for bringing this up, though. It gave me an idea for an extra update.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Double posting for an update.

Grumbling Grottos Part 3 (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

This chapter's time trials took surprisingly long to put together. Aside from Tricky Winds I tried to find as many skips as possible inside the levels, but playing Savage Swarms for a few hours and dying on the first screen a lot took its toll on me. It's a good chapter for speeding through though, and I'm especially glad they made Snake Eyes speedrun-friendly. Too bad Tricky Winds kind of sucks.

That leaves us with two more worlds before we can enter Moody Clouds. I have the next two videos almost ready, but I won't have time to work on them for the next two weeks due to my master's thesis, so please be patient if they take a little longer. I'll have plenty of time to work on this LP starting next month.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

second-hand smegma posted:

The original tricky treasure levels were almost all changed for Legends, some in minor ways, some completely swapped for new ones. New levels for certain worlds were put in to replace some of the best platforming levels in the original that didn't make the cut, including the final level (which is weird and frustrating because they brought over EVERY mosquito level, the worst part of Origins).

Ooookay... I certainly do remember some levels being left out, but I can't recall levels being entirely replaced. Admittedly, it's been a while since I played Legends (not to mention Back to Origins) so clearly I have to get back to it at some point. Replacing levels entirely seems like a really weird thing to do.

Personally I preferred Legends on the whole due to the improved production values and smoother gameplay, but that's neither here nor there.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Found a little bit of free time to iron out the flaws from this, have an update:

Luscious Lakes Part 1 (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

Oh god so many puns. I hope that's what you're here for.

Luscious Lakes consists of only 4 levels (+Tricky Treasure), so I just cut this off at the halfway point. It's probably my least favourite world in the game. I'm not saying it's a bad chapter, mind you. Just that as a continuation of Gourmand Land it falls a bit short.

Dragon Soup is pretty cool, with a ton of new platforms and obstacles. It's an absolute horror to speedrun though, but I'll cover that when it's time. The Moskito level is a lot of fun compared to many of the previous ones. I'm guessing I was traumatized by the one found in Ticklish Temples to the point where I thought they were all horrible, but that is not the case. Most flying levels in the second half of the game are actually pretty enjoayble.

Starting next week I'll have a TON of more free time, so I'll probably be updating more frequently.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

GKirby posted:

I always figured the idea was that Globox is the one flying, and the mosquito is just riding on him.

Nope, Globox doesn't have wings. It's definitely the mosquito doing the flying. And it's an even smaller mosquito than the one Rayman or the Teensies ride. Maybe you got confused because Globox does the firing?

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Sorry for the long wait. Upon returning my thesis I immeditely fell sick and my voice sounded so lovely for two weeks I couldn't record anything. But hey, here's a double update to make up for the long pause. :)

Luscious Lakes 2 (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)
Luscious Lakes 3 (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

I don't hate Fickle Fruit, but I can't say it's my favourite level either. Spending so much time when you're small is annoying and the controls just don't work for me. Whenever I try to do an upwards dash it falls short and then I have to reset it. And the orange enemies hit me surprisingly often. I'm not sure if it's just me or if this really is a difficult level, but I definitely have plenty of trouble with it.

With a final level like that, I think I'll stand behind what I said before about this being the weakest chapter in the game. But on the other hand the boss fight is the coolest in the game hands down. Not the fight itself necessarily, but the whole concept of getting swallowed and beating the boss from within. Like I said in the video, it reminds me of Yoshi's Island and that game has a special place in my heart. On a totally meaningless note, I just realized that El Stomacho says molto bene, which is Italian for very good. But "El" is the Spanish masculine definite article. So go figure.

As for the time trials, hoo boy... I played both levels for about two hours maybe, trying to get everything right, but it was a no go. Dragon Soup was definitely more frustrating. Whenever I'd clear a room REAL fast it would only bite me in the rear end in the next one, because the cycle would be different for either the beans, platforms, spatulas, pepper mills and what have you. So it basically punished me for improving my game. I highly doubt this is the first or only level to have that kind of a universal cycle, but it's definitely one of the hardest. Every room requires specific strats that take a ton of accuracy and if you're off just a little bit the run is effectively ruined. Fickle Fruit was more fun to play, but you know, small controls and ice physics. Plus it's hard to get through the ice block sections fast with the oranges bouncing around. But maybe I just suck.

As for the glitch at the end of the second vid... I don't know what causes it, but it seems that I keep finding way more glitches whenever I do let's plays. So I guess that's something?

Anyways, now that I got these vids up, I'm gonna assemble my new computer. If I disappear for another two weeks, it's because something's gone wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
^^^ What he said. It's just one level though, not a whole chapter. We'll get there.

Opiomorphone posted:

This is still a brilliant LP. Keep up the good work Wugga!
Doesn't matter how long the episodes take to make, they are definitely worth it. ♥

Thanks! I appreciate it. :) Thanks also to the person who mentioned this LP in the recommendations thread, it made me smile.

Recorded all of Angsty Abyss earlier today, probably gonna start editing soon if I get Premiere to run. I imagine things are going to be quite a bit smoother now that I have a new computer up and running.

• Locked thread