Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying, or Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken.

tell me what My Little Husband Can't Be This Unintelligible is about

Crunchyroll posted:

Kaoru is an OL you can find anywhere, serious and works diligently, but her husband is a super otaku and more-or-less a NEET. She is caught up in one of her husband's whims one day or the subject of his concerns another, but the two are so close that it's embarrassing to even watch them!

characters please

Hajime Tsunashi (voiced by Kenichi Suzumura)
The goofy 2ch-addicted NEET husband.

Kaoru Tsunashi (voiced by Yukari Tamura)
The doesn't-understand-otaku-or-online-culture wife.

It's a short 3.5 minute/episode show but it's been fairly pleasant and entertaining so far.

Where can I see it?
Pop on over to Crunchyroll to check it out.

edit: whoops i forgot to change the topic flag whatever thing
oh well

EDIT: 11 March 2015
As of a couple days ago, we have more news on the new season!

http://www.otakutale.com/2015/danna...nding-revealed/
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...-visuals/.85479

(I'll replace this with a larger version once one becomes available.)

The new season will officially be titled Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken 2-sure-me, or I Can't Understand What My Husband is Saying Thread 2 and it starts airing April 3!

Our favorite NEET-and-office-lady couple will retain their voice actors, along with much of the cast from the first season!

Rino Juse (voiced by Rie Kugimiya)
One of Kaoru's friends.

Nozomu Juse (voiced by Toshifumi Sakai)
Rino's husband who sometimes gets into trouble because she looks loli as heck.

Tanaka (voiced by Ryoko Shintani)
Another of Kaoru's friends.

Yamada (voiced by Daisuke Tonosaki)
Tanaka's husband.

Youta Tsunashi aka Mayotama (voiced by Sayaka Horino)
Hajime's little brother sister broster. College student, manga artist. Stay the heck away.

Miki aka Destiny Fucker (voiced by Kaori Shimizu)
Friend of Hajime's (lol), kind of has a thing for Mayotama.

Like before, the season will consist of 13 3-minute episodes. Here's to another cour of quirky heartwarming married life!

graybook fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
This show is a lot of fun, and kinda what I imagine a (gender-flipped) happy ending to Watamote to be.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Why did Kaoru bleach her hair between their honeymoon and the rest of the series?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I guess it made sense that there was a female version of okama(crossdresser), but now I finally know the word for it.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Xelkelvos posted:

I guess it made sense that there was a female version of okama(crossdresser), but now I finally know the word for it.
If you mean nekama, that isn't the female version. It refers to a dude who pretends to be a woman online.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I don't know that I've seen another anime that gives off quite this air of flop sweat. Like, I could see this all as some narrative being told by Japanese Rodney Dangerfield as quickly as possible.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Hajime now knows defeat.
orz

ScottyWired
Jan 30, 2014

Don't believe in yourself. Believe in the Kamina who believes in you. u suk
It's pretty surprising how much they pack into a 3 minute space.

Like inugami-san but more not-bad

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Okay, so last week's was a little on the odd side. This week's brought it back somewhat to the lighthearted zone I'm used to.

Dang Hajime is kinda muscular there.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

graybook posted:

Okay, so last week's was a little on the odd side. This week's brought it back somewhat to the lighthearted zone I'm used to.

Dang Hajime is kinda muscular there.

Hajime is secretly a Nakiri :v:

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

You know, along with Madoka, this show might have the most progressive couple in anime. A working wife with a stay at home husband who takes care of cooking.

Also, I guess we now know why she married him, and it was not for his cooking skills :heysexy:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rexides posted:

You know, along with Madoka, this show might have the most progressive couple in anime. A working wife with a stay at home husband who takes care of cooking.

Also, I guess we now know why she married him, and it was not for his cooking skills :heysexy:

For a second I thought 'eh, Madoka and Homura didn't get chance to actually be a couple' until I realised you meant her mum and dad. :v:

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 15, 2014

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

I've noticed this season that Crunchyroll is picking seemingly random words to not translate.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I'm amused by the theory that this show is propaganda to encourage otaku to marry and reproduce and all that, and this latest episode seems to strengthen that idea.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If it's a boy Shinji, if it's a girl Rei.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

graybook posted:

I'm amused by the theory that this show is propaganda to encourage otaku to marry and reproduce and all that, and this latest episode seems to strengthen that idea.

I'm sure there's a scientific explanation for the falling birth rate that Japan has been experiencing for a while (I read somewhere that the population has been in decrease for... what, 6 or 7 years?), but didn't they tried once before? Guess they have to give it the good ol' second chance.

e: Seems about right. Hearing the dude who voices Treize Khushrenada and Zero as a "God of Sexual Love" was a trip, though. vvvv

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 5, 2014

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Wark Say posted:

I'm sure there's a scientific explanation for the falling birth rate that Japan has been experiencing for a while (I read somewhere that the population has been in decrease for... what, 6 or 7 years?), but didn't they tried once before? Guess they have to give it the good ol' second chance.

Just from the main description, that seems way more targeted and explicit; I feel like at least this show has had the message not /so/ obvious.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

If it's a boy Shinji, if it's a girl Rei.

That's when I finally lost it.:)
This show is way too good/cringe-inducing for its stupid premise.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Wark Say posted:

I'm sure there's a scientific explanation for the falling birth rate that Japan has been experiencing for a while

1) Advanced countries almost always fall below the replacement birth rate. Gee, when your life doesn't suck, there is something to do other than gently caress and have children. Go figure.

2) Japan is tremendously xenophobic, so they have no immigration to help.

3) Japan is horribly sexist. There is a reason why so many American expatriates think Japan is wonderful--until they have a daughter at which point they head straight back to America. Japanese women have far more limited career opportunities, are expected to take care of house, children, and often both sets of elderly parents, etc. Needless to say, a lot of Japanese women decide that maybe getting married to a Japanese person isn't such a good idea.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Here's some fact on the birthrate situation in Japan.

"NPR discussion about Japan slipping into recession posted:

Well, Japan is a very rich country with some very big problems. It's an aging society with a population that has been shrinking since 2004. And it's projected to shrink by another one-third over the next 50 years. So that means a couple of things. One is you have a lot of retired people who need to be supported by taxpayers, and they're running out of taxpayers. And secondly, any economy grows only as fast as its workforce grows. Plus, the increase in productivity in Japan hasn't done very well on either one...

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Funny show. I wonder how many NEETs like this are actually in marriages, and if the rate is increasing? Or if this is just wishful thinking or trying to get more NEETs to marry?

Also the little brother who dresses up and acts like a girl is funny. Is that an outlet for people who can't come out as gay in Japan?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ccs posted:

Funny show. I wonder how many NEETs like this are actually in marriages, and if the rate is increasing? Or if this is just wishful thinking or trying to get more NEETs to marry?

Also the little brother who dresses up and acts like a girl is funny. Is that an outlet for people who can't come out as gay in Japan?

Otokonokos are a fairly new phenomenon. (or at least the term is) It goes from manly heterosexual men who just happen to love to dress up all the way to the little brother kind of dudes. There is nothing sexual per see about it, it's mostly crossdressing.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Can we change the thread tag to ?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well, that's how you get married if you're an otaku find someone completely loving desperate. I know that's not exactly what they were going for but yikes. :v: I liked the kooky animation for this (last?) episode though.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Ccs posted:

from everything I've read marriage rates keep going down, because Japan has some hosed up social and workplace norms that have the effect of encouraging women not to marry and/or have kids.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Well, that's how you get married if you're an otaku find someone completely loving desperate. I know that's not exactly what they were going for but yikes. :v: I liked the kooky animation for this (last?) episode though.

The animation looked like it was a guest director or understudy who wanted a go and they said "sure, it's a short series so go nuts." Can't think of what the style is evocative of though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Monaghan posted:

from everything I've read marriage rates keep going down, because Japan has some hosed up social and workplace norms that have the effect of encouraging women not to marry and/or have kids.

Presumably that in general women are still expected to leave work and become a housewife as soon as they get married/have kids.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Rodyle posted:

The animation looked like it was a guest director or understudy who wanted a go and they said "sure, it's a short series so go nuts." Can't think of what the style is evocative of though.

I thought that it reminded me a bit of that weird short series from a previous season called Ai Mai Mi. Turns out, this episode was indeed helmed by Itsuki Imazaki, the man behind Ai Mai Mi.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

The animation was beautiful and I will fight anyone who says otherwise. I think I rewatched that first scene where she stacks her plates and cups after lunch like five times.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I couldn't help but feel like the angularity was representative of how her life seemed off-kilter in the pre-Hajime days.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah, I loved the directing. Though I don't understand how together they afford a better apartment if the guy still doesn't work.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Ccs posted:

Yeah, I loved the directing. Though I don't understand how together they afford a better apartment if the guy still doesn't work.

I've only seen the first episode or so, and why am I even reading this thread, but I thought he did have some sort of job? It was just a vague internet job that his wife doesn't understand because it doesn't fall into the classic 9-5 day job category that most people would expect him to have. I thought he did have an income though.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Clarste posted:

I've only seen the first episode or so, and why am I even reading this thread, but I thought he did have some sort of job? It was just a vague internet job that his wife doesn't understand because it doesn't fall into the classic 9-5 day job category that most people would expect him to have. I thought he did have an income though.

Think he does web design for his friend? But it's like under the table because his friend doesn't want to fully employ him or something? Used to make money from his blog though.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Congratulations!

Booke
Sep 18, 2011
For all 5 of us who love the show, it's been greenlit for another season starting in April

Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-12-25/i-cant-understand-what-my-husband-is-saying-anime-gets-2nd-season/.82612

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

I thought this episode was pretty cute. I liked Hajime's realization at the end, too.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Cool, 2nd season. I will continue watching. It's very digestible because of how short the eps are.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Whelp I hope their ready for parenthood. I actually like the resolution at the end, no music, no exaggerated reactions, just a subtle cry and his resolve to make this work.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying Season 2: I Can't Understand What My Baby Is Saying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I didn't really love this show. I can only really remember the husband and wife as characters. Everyone else is kind of a flash. There is one guy who dresses as a girl, but I can't remember who he is, and when I see some of the girls, I wonder if that's him or not. I guess not enough screen time for them to stick.

Anyway, this is the one short that I kept watching (the other one about the merman in the bath tub -- I stopped watching that show after the second or third episode), so I guess this show was okay. Interesting concepts. The working-girl married the otaku-guy and we saw how lonely and desperate her life was, but I'm not convinced she married him simply because she was lonely. There seems to be more to it than that -- she genuinely likes the guy. Maybe her desperation was a driving force in them seeing each other in the first place.

Whether or not the husband does or doesn't have some kind of Internet-based income is unclear to me as well. Not that it really maters.

I wonder how they met? Did they show that? I can't remember. I could go back and watch the whole season again in like 30 minutes. Maybe I will.

Anyway, nice ending. I think the show could also be entitled: I can't understand what my pregnancy test is saying.

I think my favorite character in this show is the wife's father though.

• Locked thread