Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lothar_
Sep 11, 2001

Don't Date Robots!

Dan7el posted:

I think my favorite character in this show is the wife's father though.

Actually, I think that was her uncle who raised her as if he were her father. In any case, gotta love his skeptical face when Hajime's picking up a pregnancy test.

May the child be raised better than Shi*** of Eva*******

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dan7el posted:

I wonder how they met? Did they show that? I can't remember. I could go back and watch the whole season again in like 30 minutes. Maybe I will.
Pretty sure they were both part timers at a convenience store or corner grocery and one of them asked the other out on an awkward but well intentioned date.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

FilthyImp posted:

Pretty sure they were both part timers at a convenience store or corner grocery and one of them asked the other out on an awkward but well intentioned date.

If we go by the episode that was differently animated it was Kaoru working at the sushi place and then her manager dropped an applicant interview (Hajime) onto her. They met there at the very least.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

The good thing about season 2 if it starts post-birth is that instead of the show being about a normal girl marrying an unemployable nerd, it will be about a family with a stay-at-home dad, which will be very progressive.

Dan7el posted:

The working-girl married the otaku-guy and we saw how lonely and desperate her life was, but I'm not convinced she married him simply because she was lonely. There seems to be more to it than that

Did you miss the episode where he takes his shirt off?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dan7el posted:

The working-girl married the otaku-guy and we saw how lonely and desperate her life was, but I'm not convinced she married him simply because she was lonely. There seems to be more to it than that -- she genuinely likes the guy. Maybe her desperation was a driving force in them seeing each other in the first place.

Pretty sure they were going for a 'thanks for rescuing me from my lovely lonely life because I really like you', they just didn't show that and we just got 'oh god I'm so lonely and depressed, oh here's a guy who'll actually talk to me lets get married' which I'm almost 100% sure wasn't the intended message.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Desperation is a major driving force in why people get married though, right? That's why celebrities never seem to stay together. They've always got other options.

Though a lasting marriage can be a lot more psychologically healthy and rewarding that constantly bailing every few years.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Desperation seemed to be the reason they got together but they also seem compatible enough in their marriage. I'd like them to explore that a little more next season. I imagine it's kind of difficult to give a lot of in-depth analysis into this couple's background with the time constraints they had.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah, plus it's comedy. Don't wanna analyze too much.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Ccs posted:

Yeah, plus it's comedy. Don't wanna analyze too much.

There can be a lot of comedy derived from that sort of thing. Maybe it wouldn't be classically Japanese humor (or at least, I don't have a ton of faith in how they might execute it), but it's not exactly squeezing blood from a stone.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Ccs posted:

Desperation is a major driving force in why people get married though, right? That's why celebrities never seem to stay together. They've always got other options.

Though a lasting marriage can be a lot more psychologically healthy and rewarding that constantly bailing every few years.

:crossarms:

Not to defend celebrities but I'm pretty sure they're under more scrutiny than the average person.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Apparently in the manga this is based on, she also smokes, a trait they took out here.

They even took out the jokes based around her smoking, so I assume they wanted her to appear more "normal"?

How common is smoking nowadays in Japan?

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Mordaedil posted:

Apparently in the manga this is based on, she also smokes, a trait they took out here.

They even took out the jokes based around her smoking, so I assume they wanted her to appear more "normal"?

Hmm? She definitely smokes in the anime, though I think it was shown more during the flashbacks when she was younger. At the very least, her continuing to smoke in the present was referenced several times.

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.

Mordaedil posted:

Maybe they toned it down from the manga, but I remember her smoking or holding cigarettes a few times in the anime, and they talked about her needing to stop smoking if she got pregnant.

EDIT: Actually, episode 6 was almost entirely about her trying to stop smoking.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I'm really pleased with how nice this show turned out to be, and I'm honestly a bit taken aback that we are getting a season 2 in the spring.

That being said, I still hope they'll work in some more stuff to reference 2ch - I've always felt like that aspect of the premise never got enough attention.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mordaedil posted:

How common is smoking nowadays in Japan?

It's still a lot more common there than in the west, though I think that's true of most Asian countries. When I was there I was legit surprised that you could still smoke in clubs, haven't been able to do that here for like well over a decade.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Depressing Box posted:

Maybe they toned it down from the manga, but I remember her smoking or holding cigarettes a few times in the anime, and they talked about her needing to stop smoking if she got pregnant.

EDIT: Actually, episode 6 was almost entirely about her trying to stop smoking.

Yeah, probably that. The manga just has a very lose style, so I thought she was smoking nearly every panel.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
You know, they could just allow filthy foreigners in and let them actually naturalize.

...Nah, let's try for like the dozenth time to propagandize our disaffected generation of 20-30-somethings into breeding so we can keep our super awesome pure Japanese heritage. That'll work.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Fabricated posted:

You know, they could just allow filthy foreigners in and let them actually naturalize.

...Nah, let's try for like the dozenth time to propagandize our disaffected generation of 20-30-somethings into breeding so we can keep our super awesome pure Japanese heritage. That'll work.

:stare:

Dude, wrong show. This is just about a girl and her nerd husband, you are reading too much into it.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

there was a film released a bit back about getting a hot foreign husbando, my darling is a foreigner. it was okayish

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Fabricated posted:

How badly do you want a Japanese waifu?

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

I'm pretty sure he was answering a last page statement but also lol.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Second season starts in April!

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I'll be sure to update the OP once more information about the second season rolls in.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Second season starts in April!

Time for adventures in pregnancy land.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
OP updated with a little more character coverage and the new name for the new season.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

this show is an absolute treat, and I lucked out on discovering it barely a few days before new episodes start.

a homie calls it "Husbandunno" which is A+ in my book. eager to see if they deal with the entire pregnancy and birth or if they really do just do a timeskip to where the kiddo is already born.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I wish there were more of the source material translated, but I've only ever been able to find the first three chapters or so. All the same, it's a pleasant ride.

In any case, I just checked the Crunchyroll page, and it says simulcast will be in about two and a half days!

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

graybook posted:

I wish there were more of the source material translated, but I've only ever been able to find the first three chapters or so. All the same, it's a pleasant ride.

In any case, I just checked the Crunchyroll page, and it says simulcast will be in about two and a half days!

So 4/3?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I am very much looking forward to the continuing escapades of Destiny Fucker. And the husband and wife too I guess.

Kinu Nishimura fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 31, 2015

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
And we're back!

A little husband-wife bonding, a look into Kaoru's past, and an opening bit that lives up to the show's title! Though... I'm not so hot on the references, so what's Hajime talking about with the cooking manga stuff?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Kaoru is apparently a Saibaman!?

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

graybook posted:

And we're back!

A little husband-wife bonding, a look into Kaoru's past, and an opening bit that lives up to the show's title! Though... I'm not so hot on the references, so what's Hajime talking about with the cooking manga stuff?

Pretty sure he was referencing Valrave with the rune bit anyways.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
New episode up

References: Sailor Moon, Saint Seiya (complete with cardboard armor), JoJo and possibly another, but I can't place it. it might be generic fantasy though.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

graybook posted:

And we're back!

If you're referring to the character that had censored eyes, it was Chuuka Ichiban. Old cooking thing set in China.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Nurse truly is the best at bowling.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Oh hey, I didn't realize we had a thread for this. For what it is, it's a solid show, and I'm glad we're getting more of it.

...but yeah, I had no clue who half of the bowlers were.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I mean, you can only give side characters in a short so much screen time.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut

alcharagia posted:

I am very much looking forward to the continuing escapades of Destiny Fucker. And the husband and wife too I guess.
I don't think I expected a character named Destiny Fucker to turn out to be such a tsundere.

• Locked thread