Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rexides posted:

You know, along with Madoka, this show might have the most progressive couple in anime. A working wife with a stay at home husband who takes care of cooking.

Also, I guess we now know why she married him, and it was not for his cooking skills :heysexy:

For a second I thought 'eh, Madoka and Homura didn't get chance to actually be a couple' until I realised you meant her mum and dad. :v:

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If it's a boy Shinji, if it's a girl Rei.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well, that's how you get married if you're an otaku find someone completely loving desperate. I know that's not exactly what they were going for but yikes. :v: I liked the kooky animation for this (last?) episode though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Monaghan posted:

from everything I've read marriage rates keep going down, because Japan has some hosed up social and workplace norms that have the effect of encouraging women not to marry and/or have kids.

Presumably that in general women are still expected to leave work and become a housewife as soon as they get married/have kids.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dan7el posted:

The working-girl married the otaku-guy and we saw how lonely and desperate her life was, but I'm not convinced she married him simply because she was lonely. There seems to be more to it than that -- she genuinely likes the guy. Maybe her desperation was a driving force in them seeing each other in the first place.

Pretty sure they were going for a 'thanks for rescuing me from my lovely lonely life because I really like you', they just didn't show that and we just got 'oh god I'm so lonely and depressed, oh here's a guy who'll actually talk to me lets get married' which I'm almost 100% sure wasn't the intended message.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mordaedil posted:

Apparently in the manga this is based on, she also smokes, a trait they took out here.

They even took out the jokes based around her smoking, so I assume they wanted her to appear more "normal"?

How common is smoking nowadays in Japan?

It's still a lot more common there than in the west, though I think that's true of most Asian countries. When I was there I was legit surprised that you could still smoke in clubs, haven't been able to do that here for like well over a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh my god a manga about a dude who crossdresses?!?!?!?! Get a grip.

• Locked thread