Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MyushiVerSCOOTY
Jan 22, 2004

Hey i've got a ~2 year old savannah cat (5th gen, I think) and I noticed just today he was dragging his right hind leg. He was also having trouble scratching himself with that leg and jumping/ landing properly. I can't find any signs of injury and he isn't sensitive to being handled anywhere around the leg, its just that he can't coordinate it right. I broke a fluorescent light bulb in the kitchen yesterday and I thought I cleaned it all up, but if I missed a spot its possible he ingested a small amount of mercury. Would mercury poisoning cause these symptoms? I can't make a vet appointment until monday, so I'm wondering if anyone here has some advice for me in the meantime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

The mercury contained within the CFL bulbs is not the kind that gets absorbed through the gut. If any was ingested, it shouldn't be a problem.

The problem with the CFL bulbs and other sources of elemental mercury is when it gets aerosolized and inhaled. In that case, neurological signs are one of the possible effects of mercury toxicity. It would be a little strange to only affect one limb, although possible. The amount in the bulbs is also pretty small, and unless your cat was sitting there huffing the remains (it's a cat, so possible), it is unlikely to be the cause.

If further neurological signs develop (more incoordination, additional limbs), especially things like seizures, then I would recommend seeing an ER vet. Until then, keep a close eye on your cat and make sure they don't hurt themselves with their incoordination, and continue your plan to see your regular vet.

MyushiVerSCOOTY
Jan 22, 2004

It wasn't a cfl bulb. It was a 48" tube. Still its good to hear that ingestion isn't something I need to worry about. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on him until I can get him to the vet. Thanks for the info.

MyushiVerSCOOTY
Jan 22, 2004

I scheduled a vet appointment just now. His leg seems better compared to Saturday so this may just go away on its own.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Is there any head tilting/lean or staggering in his walk? Awhile back my cat inexplicably starting having a hard time walking, as if he had hurt his back leg or something, when I took them to a vet they noticed he was tilting his head and figured it might be some kind of inner ear infection and gave me the option to put him on some medicine - either it worked or it cleared up on it's own.

• Locked thread