Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I'm starting to get very frustrated. All of a sudden many of my files refuse to open. A whole mess of .jpg and .jpeg files sudden will not open in Windows Photo Viewer or Photoshop. These files were working normally before. Many .avi and .mp4 video files also will not open in VLC, iTunes, or Winamp. I even tried uploading a picture to Imgur and it caused an error while uploading and wouldn't even show a thumbnail. In fact the thumbnails won't work for these files at all in any location. What's odd is that SOME random picture and video files work just fine, but majority do not. I have no idea what could have suddenly corrupted 80% of the files on my computer but I would really like to avoid having to obtain them all again (especially since some of the files are back ups from an old phone of files I have no other copies of). Is this corruption? I was seeing somewhere it may have to do with the files not being associated to their file type some how, maybe that is what is happening? Has anyone got any ideas on how I can fix this?

Upon further inspection it appears that every JPG and JPEG file is effected aside from one folder that I am currently using as my wallpapers. PNG was not effected in any way, and recent video files work. Older video files seem to be affected, but some work fine. Some files are in the same exact folder and half work and half don't. I find it hard to believe that suddenly all these files become corrupted with no real cause. I have not made any updates, I haven't even restarted the computer until a few minutes ago in hopes that it may help.

Windows 98 fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Can you post the first 100 hex characters or so of one of your JPGs? I'd be interested to see if the headers are still intact, and if not then what have they been changed to. Any free hex editor will do, if you don't have one on hand.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I got very fed up and just did an OS reinstall and everything seems to be working fine now. I backed up some of the important files onto a flash drive I had in case someone knew what was going on and posted a fix. As soon as I am done installing all my poo poo again I will get on that.

• Locked thread