Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
I get pissed off in games where theres tons of loot cuz I want to pick it all up. People tell me I'm crazy for this so I want to know, how are you supposed to interact with loots in games like this. Do you just pick things up at random? Do you have some system for what to pick up and what to leave. What's the deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I just do whatever.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think you might be a failed gamer ragg

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014
Normal people without autism don't have hobbies

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Ragg posted:

I get pissed off in games where theres tons of loot cuz I want to pick it all up. People tell me I'm crazy for this so I want to know, how are you supposed to interact with loots in games like this. Do you just pick things up at random? Do you have some system for what to pick up and what to leave. What's the deal?

In qdiabs I usually figure out what I'm gonna use for gear early on and just pick stuff up that fits that image, unless I see something with a good color-coding or cool name.

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

zeal posted:

I think you might be a failed gamer ragg

I think you're a dumb rear end in a top hat who ought to shut up unless he has something pertinent to say (not likely, it seems), and also ought to respect his elders.

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

qdiabs

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Lay off me, I gamed with aussies.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Effectronica posted:

In qdiabs I usually figure out what I'm gonna use for gear early on and just pick stuff up that fits that image, unless I see something with a good color-coding or cool name.

I don't know what qdiabs is. What about like crafting stuff of junk loot that you can sell to vendors.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Ragg posted:

I don't know what qdiabs is. What about like crafting stuff of junk loot that you can sell to vendors.

Quasi-diablo, I think? I tend to just not craft or pick up vendor trash, which is probably not such a good strategy.

EDIT: In New Vegas I generally just pick up stuff for ammo crafting, while in FF12/TA2 I just dump everything at the Bazaar every so often.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
I pick up everything, except for stuff that's obviously worthless even as vendor trash, Ragg.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I pick up everything, except for stuff that's obviously worthless even as vendor trash, Ragg.

Doesn't it drive you crazy.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Effectronica posted:

Quasi-diablo, I think? I tend to just not craft or pick up vendor trash, which is probably not such a good strategy.

EDIT: In New Vegas I generally just pick up stuff for ammo crafting, while in FF12/TA2 I just dump everything at the Bazaar every so often.

Ok so far the answer seems to be you just accept that you're playing non optimally and only pick up things that are directly useful.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
Like things that you know you need. Whereas I'll go, well I dunno what this is, better pick it up just in case I need it later, or, I'll look it up online.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mach2 posted:

Normal people without autism don't have hobbies

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Ragg posted:

Ok so far the answer seems to be you just accept that you're playing non optimally and only pick up things that are directly useful.

Basically, yes. This backfires on me every so often, of course.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Ragg posted:

Doesn't it drive you crazy.

I've learned to suppress it, because it's impossible for me to play any other way.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Now that I think about it, I do go for optimization in Fire Emblem games, and I'm not sure why. Maybe some sort of *yawn*, uh, visceral attachment to *zzz*

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I just go for gear that increases your damage output. Best defense is a good offense, right?

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I've learned to suppress it, because it's impossible for me to play any other way.

Sigh. Is this the curse of a gamer?

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Effectronica posted:

Now that I think about it, I do go for optimization in Fire Emblem games, and I'm not sure why. Maybe some sort of *yawn*, uh, visceral attachment to *zzz*

The random leveling in those games drives me nuts.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Ragg posted:

Sigh. Is this the curse of a gamer?

*Nods solemnly.*

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
I sometimes post about how I need to loot everything, do all the quests, explore everything, completionist etc. And there are people who are like, wtf, you're ruining the game for yourself etc. I want to know how those people do it.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
But particularly regarding loot.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
The hosed up thing is there has to be a lot of people who feel that way because Rope Kid is specifically designing Pillars of Eternity around this kind of behavior.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
Or rather his position is that the game encourages the behavior, it's not the player doing it wrong.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Ragg posted:

The hosed up thing is there has to be a lot of people who feel that way because Rope Kid is specifically designing Pillars of Eternity around this kind of behavior.

Completionist behavior or anti-completionist behavior?

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
Are the assholes who troll me just gamer haters? #FoodForThought

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Completionist behavior or anti-completionist behavior?

Degenerate behavior like looting everything and then having to spend ages deciding what to keep and what to drop based on value/weight ratios, or going back and forth looting things in hauls.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Ragg posted:

Degenerate behavior like looting everything and then having to spend ages deciding what to keep and what to drop based on value/weight ratios, or going back and forth looting things in hauls.

I'm probably going to end up doing this when I play Pillars of Eternity.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I'm probably going to end up doing this when I play Pillars of Eternity.

You won't have to because theres no limit to how much you can loot.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Ragg posted:

You won't have to because theres no limit to how much you can loot.

Then I guess I'll just loot everything, without a care in the world.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Then I guess I'll just loot everything, without a care in the world.

This is the genius of Rope Kid's design.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

You just pick up some of the stuff.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Heran Bago posted:

That's impossible.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Heran Bago posted:

How do you decide what to pick up and what to leave?

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Heran Bago posted:

MODS??!

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

if it's an rpg where the armor changes my character's appearance i pick up whatever looks cool. if the armor doesn't do that i don't play the game because it's poo poo

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Ragg posted:

How do you decide what to pick up and what to leave?

Is some of the stuff better than your current stuff?
If yes, pick it up. Get rid of your old stuff.

Is some of the stuff consumables that you can use?
If yes but you already have lots, leave it and start using the ones you have.

Is some of the stuff money or just light and valuable?
If yes, pick it up. Sell it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

See look how easy it is.

• Locked thread