Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont play rpgs with tons of loot, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i suffer from the same problem op you never know when you might need it like what if the legendary weapon is forged from random crap?? its also why i dislike diablo type loot systems because comparing new items consatantly is tirng

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

if it's better than what i have or like a sidegrade for some gimmick, then i equip it or hang on to it. if i'm clearly never going to use it, i pick it up anyway to sell. if my inventory fills up with stuff to sell then i start dropping whatever would sell for the least amount, but i dont feel good about doing it

i also find diablo-likes mostly kind of boring, though, so maybe im not the best example? the diablo-style control scheme of just holding click at the enemy is boring

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Ragg posted:

Ok so far the answer seems to be you just accept that you're playing non optimally and only pick up things that are directly useful.

yeah man. it's like real life

Ragg posted:

How do you decide what to pick up and what to leave?

depends on your objective. sometimes it depends on character build, or play-style. if i'm playing a game with weight limits, i'll only pick up quest critical items or poo poo i plan on using. everything else i leave lying around sell, assuming its weight doesn't prevent me from carrying useful stuff.

there's no hard and fast rule. you just play it by the seat of your pants. it's like life, man, cause games are a metaphor for life

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

play rpgs like wizardry 1 and the dark spire and don't worry about picking up loot

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Ragg posted:

I get pissed off in games where theres tons of loot cuz I want to pick it all up. People tell me I'm crazy for this so I want to know, how are you supposed to interact with loots in games like this. Do you just pick things up at random? Do you have some system for what to pick up and what to leave. What's the deal?

That's my secret, Ragg. I always had autism.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Heran Bago posted:

Is some of the stuff better than your current stuff?
If yes, pick it up. Get rid of your old stuff.

Is some of the stuff consumables that you can use?
If yes but you already have lots, leave it and start using the ones you have.

Is some of the stuff money or just light and valuable?
If yes, pick it up. Sell it.

What about crafting mats in Witcher and the like.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
Also leaving behind consumables D: That way lies madness...

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
I should have specified I don't maen diablo likes but rather story centric rpgs such as, infinity engine games, bethesda games, new vegas, witcher etc.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Ragg posted:

I don't know what qdiabs is. What about like crafting stuff of junk loot that you can sell to vendors.

i wish to god people would stop putting crafting poo poo in video games

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Using up all of your consumables in the final Boss Fight *Ooooohooohooohoooooo Antonio Banderas Style*

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

how,the gently caress should I know

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Using up all of your consumables in the final Boss Fight *Ooooohooohooohoooooo Antonio Banderas Style*

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

DICKHEAD posted:

New Vegas brings out the retard on me because I'm always carryign around 20 lunchboxes and duct tapes etc because I might need to make a weapon repair kit or a caravan lunch later even though I have 4000 of each in my safehouse.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Ragg posted:

I should have specified I don't maen diablo likes but rather story centric rpgs such as, infinity engine games, bethesda games, new vegas, witcher etc.

for bethesda games i usually keep a non-respawning chest in my house or somewhere else where i put all my equipment, so when i loot stuff i keep anything i will use right then, anything that stacks/is consumable, anything that is really low weight that isnt useless, and any equipment i've never seen before so i can bring it back to the house. i dont normlly keep the crafting poo poo because i can always just find more of it some other time when i'm actually interested in crafting whatever it is

dont think i've ever run completely out of inv space in any infinity engine game, a party of 6 carrying bags has tons of slots

A cool damn horse
Jan 25, 2009

DICKHEAD posted:

I hoard this poo poo and never use it. especially in new vegas where I picked up basically everything that I could sell and I ended up with like 200 Cazador glands or w/e, and even stuff like pre-war money

I think that's even part of the fun in these games, is having tons of useless poo poo in your inventory. It's cool.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Pre-war money is weightless so you should hoard every single piece of it.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Mm.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Ragg posted:

Me too.

You don't need to craft.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

I wish games would just let you hoard every single loving thing

They could balance it like parasite eve and just let you use stuff in your "active" inventory and send everything else to the warehouse BC otherwise I gotta make ten trips to the mouth of the dungeon, load everything into a chest or something, then load everything into my inv, then fast travel, and it is insanely gay

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

yeah i dont really see any good reason to limit inventory space in tyool 2014

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Ragg posted:

How do you decide what to pick up and what to leave?

You take the shotgun shells, and leave the rusty lead pipe

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
but yes every potion is precious, no matter how obscure

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Heran Bago posted:

Me too.

You don't need to craft.

Your way doesn't get as much money as possible.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i've played like 12 final fantasy games and have never once used an elixir/megalixir

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Relin posted:

i've played like 12 final fantasy games and have never once used an elixir/megalixir
is it because they're never hard enough for you to need them or is it because you go omg what if i need it later like some sort of goblin

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

ForeverSmug posted:

I wish games would just let you hoard every single loving thing

They could balance it like parasite eve and just let you use stuff in your "active" inventory and send everything else to the warehouse BC otherwise I gotta make ten trips to the mouth of the dungeon, load everything into a chest or something, then load everything into my inv, then fast travel, and it is insanely gay

Some games do this and then you have the problem of actually finally needing one of those things and having to go through a Manhattan phone book of crap looking for the one useful item from hours ago that you may have misremembered the name of

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Endorph posted:

is it because they're never hard enough for you to need them or is it because you go omg what if i need it later like some sort of goblin
the former

i also wish crafting would go away, why would you ever both to use anything but hp pots

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
I pick everything up until I cant hold any more then run back to town and sell it all unless it has a rad name or is super good then go back into the dungeon

or I just ignore it once I fill up depends on how lazy I feel

I try to avoid loot games because theyre tedious tho

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I picked up every drat pencil for this reason

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
the new vegas world is full of suits all of which are worth wearing

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Crafting in games sounds cool until you realize the materials bog down your inventory. Unless you're in Morrowind where you can craft a feather potion that'll let you carry every item in the game until the fiftieth era rolls around.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Horded most of my chips in Dead Money then cashed them out for pre-war money when it was over.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
i whistle jauntily to myself and pick up as much as i can, go sell it, return, go sell, all while embracing my entrepenuer skills. it makes me feel like a businessman.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
basically this is the video game equivalent of Hoarders

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Ragg posted:

a million weightless shell casings

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

As a non-autistic person (to my knowledge), OP, I just don't pick up things and reconcile it with having time I don't want to spend sorting through junk later. Life is short. Often, as well, you can tell things are junk at first glance, which makes that part easy.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

If I'm really strapped for cash in the game I might do it but as a gamer and a man, I often decide that X amount of missed gold or whatever, is worth whatever tedium and time I saved not sorting and selling and picking up crap I don't want.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Determining floors in a roguelike as storage houses then make a zillion trips when you decide to move all that stuff further lower
All while hoping there are no item eaters in this particular floor game

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

For all dumb stuff Dungeons of Dredmore has, the pocket dimension was a neat idea, and also a necessity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

One way to look at it is, you can feel like a rich man if you scoff at items like it's not worth the time to pick up a sword you might of picked up many moons ago and thought it was the greatest thing you ever seen.

• Locked thread