Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
Like a lot of people, sometime around 2012 I got really into Vaporwave. Known as the "irony genre," its sampling of old pop songs and relatively low barrier to entry led to a goldrush of sorts, where the gold was hip and sonically pleasing music. Me and my friend Chance were chilling in his dorm room doing as we usually do, drinking "40s" and smoking weed, when we got the idea to download Fruity Loops and try our hand at vaporwave production. Influenced by vaporwave maestros such as Blank Banshee and Lady who slowed down Diana Ross songs by 300% than called it a day we got to work. Frusturated with modern consumerism and disillusioned with the Hedonistic lifestyle of College, me and Chance poured our heart and soul into our debut EP, nA77y 1C3. Reception was admittedly lukewarm, but we took criticism, such as "turn this fag poo poo off" and "this is just beer commercials slowed down by 90% with the gamecube startup theme shoved in every 5 seconds" seriously and prepared for the making of the next album.

With album 2, we set our goal as to make the vaporwave equivalent of Pinkerton. This time we mainly sampled from old Diamond Commercials (By the way, did you know that Diamonds are pretty much bullshit? There was no tradition of giving diamonds as Engagement rings until a huge marketing campaign by De Beers. Because they had a monopoly on diamonds (itself gained through violent and illegal oppression of Africa) they were fully able to control the message, the brand of Diamonds. With the phrase "A Diamond Is Forever" as the centerpiece of the campaign, they quickly were able to convince Diamonds were a neccasary part of the courting process, when in fact Diamonds are not even a rare gem. If you ever need an example of the insidious power of adverstising, look no farther than Diamonds), giving the tunes an etheral and exclusive tone, while also throwing in the wild debauchery samples from Beer commercials. This album would be titled "Da Beers," and was released to great acclaim by my Parents who said it was something "real special. very, uh, interesting." Unfortunately, the intense process of creating Da Beers had absolutely exhauted me and Chance, and so we went our separate ways, Plastic Treez no more. Neveruntheless, it was a wonderfully fullfilling project, and I hope to produce more music in the future. Cheers, and hope everyone enjoys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread