Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Problem description: Video used to play fine on my laptop but since updating to the new 8.1 windows 3/4s of the screen is solid green. Happens while using WMP or WMP classic or youtube or anything else. No other graphic anomalies whatsoever. Menus are all fine and I browse for hours daily with no issue.

Attempted fixes: Doing all the rest of the updates that windows so badly wants to me to do, uninstall and reinstall CCCP.

--

Operating system: The new win 8.1 patch

System specs: Asus F5500 Laptop. i7, 8gb of ram, nvidia 6XX graphics.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: I googled it and every answer is 'clear the settings on your internet explorer' which I know won't do a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Try running DDU: http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/

Then reinstalling the latest Nvidia beta drivers.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Didn't work :|

Also its geforce 720M if that matters. Fuckkkkk I knew I shouldn't have updated Windows!

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Here's a picture too:
http://i.imgur.com/LuamVBT.jpg

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
Does the mouse cursor render over top of the green, or is it hidden by it?

Maybe check to see if the driver package you have has some hardware optimization features for video playback, and turn them off.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Does it do this if you use VLC to play media?

I haven't kept up with codec packs for years but I'm not sure if there's some other one to try besides CCCP.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
VLC works perffect, maximised or not.
Youtube vids work fine until I maximise it, and then 3/4s goes green.
WMP always has 3/4s green, maximised or not.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
The mouse renders perfect over the green, as do any other smaller windows in front.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I went into device manager and disabled Intel HD Graphics 4000, leaving only the geforce active, and now the video doesn't go green but it looks sluggish and pixellated now. Theres no new drivers for the intel gfx card either.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I unistalled and reinstalled the intel gfx and now everything works great. Thanks for your time guys.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
Is there a reason you want to use WMP? It's pretty terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Its easy to select a bunch of files and press enter and it queues them up, with VLC its one at a time. Plus I like the brightness enhancements being readily available.

• Locked thread