Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
personally I think it'll either get launched as the killer app for the rift

or the "team" working on it is really just an intern chained up in valve's basement with a plastic figurine of Gordon and it'll just never get mentioned again except for the occasional "we're working on it" and eventually it'll just get forgotten.

probably the second one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Most likely, OP.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I think their trying to ride out the Half Life 3 meme as long as they can so it reaches as many ears as possible.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

gabe is afraid if he releases hl3 people will realize hl2 was really just an above average game

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

the whole thing was supposed to be about half life 2 episode 3 but half life 3 is one funnym eme now

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Probably like 2016 or so

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

we will play hl3 on google glasses/oculus rift merged device (probably lens)..... with hl3 overwriting every aspect of reality.... finally.... nerdvana

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Bolverkur posted:

we will play hl3 on google glasses/oculus rift merged device (probably lens)..... with hl3 overwriting every aspect of reality.... finally.... nerdvana

it's me...................... I was the one in the test chamber all along....................

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Has Valve ever released a teaser? I can't say I've seen this much anticipation over a game that hasn't even been announced?

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

Has Valve ever released a teaser? I can't say I've seen this much anticipation over a game that hasn't even been announced?

2007 called I think you might have missed it

BoredDG
Aug 10, 2013

Maybe they'll release alongside that Steambox or whatever they're calling their console

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

so bizarre that they had an HL episode trilogy planned and then they just never released the third one or even talked about it ever again, despite the first two selling very well and tons of fan anticipation

for maybe a year or two it was "oh my god this is it theyre finally gonna announce it with a trailer and everything" and now it's a joke and all they talk about is loving dota

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 23, 2014

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Bobnumerotres posted:

so bizarre that they had an HL episode trilogy planned and then they just never released the third one or even talked about it ever again

for maybe a year or two it was "oh my god this is it theyre finally gonna announce it with a trailer and everything" and now it's a joke and all they talk about is loving dota

vi sitter i ventrilo, och spelar lite DOTA

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
The greatest loving joke about this entire debacle is how episodic gaming was supposed to make releases come out faster. Like holy hell.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Half-Life 2: Episode 2: Part 2: A Tale of Two Maps: ctf_2fort vs. de_dust2

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/we-want-half-life-3

There is an indiegogo to tell Valve you want HL3.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

it's been nearly 7 years since hl2e2 and 10 years since hl2, so where are all the goofy teaser trailers like duke forever had

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

yes

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

oh wait I thought you said NEVER coming, my bad OP

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Valve hasn't released a video game in 3 and a half years.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZaY1jV96jI&t=38s

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Maybe they actually did release it but only on Origin and nobody noticed :confused:

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

my dad works at the gaben factory and he said its coming out next month

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

titaniumone posted:

my dad works at the gaben factory and he said its coming out next month

if you hit the first health station in HL2 100 times with a crowbar, you can play as luigi

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

gay skull posted:

it's been nearly 7 years since hl2e2 and 10 years since hl2, so where are all the goofy teaser trailers like duke forever had

have they ever confirmed theyre still working on it or it just completely vanished?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It has to do something new (like you see some hints of Deus Ex in HL2 with how you interact with items) - they will make HL3 when they can add some new dimension to the game besides visual detail and 'realism' - like talking to the characters with kinect/Oculus - or that research measuring/evaluating the player's emotional state.

But at least now there is an official title

Half-Lif3

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

McDowell posted:

It has to do something new (like you see some hints of Deus Ex in HL2 with how you interact with items) - they will make HL3 when they can add some new dimension to the game besides visual detail and 'realism' - like talking to the characters with kinect/Oculus - or that research measuring/evaluating the player's emotional state.

Half-Lif3

I think its conceivable that they release it as the first game on their next game engine. However, it's probably more likely that the game is never going to come out because at Valve you work on whatever project you want to so there are probably a bunch of half finished projects and everyone's working on TF2 and DOTA until the end of time.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Benny D posted:

2007 called I think you might have missed it

So the only evidence was they didn't wrap up the story in the last game.

Maybe they're no longer interested?

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

McDowell posted:

Half-Lif3

Wasn't their excuse at one point that ep 3 would integrate the portal gun and that was more difficult than they thought or something

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

no-one there wants to do it and they don't have to do it because all their other things make tons of money, and they're not publicly listed so they don't have to appease poo poo

this is literally a perfect game company, beholden to no-one, infinite resources, hugely profitable making games that they themselves can't stop playing

celebrate it

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

gordon freeman, the g-man, half-black half-asian nerd girl in love with a mute autist, her dead dad, will be back as heroes in dota2.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Valve doesn't want to make anything that's not novel in some way, and there is no novelty left in the FPS genre. Short of spending an absurd amount of money that it will never hope to recoup, there's absolutely no way for it to live up to expectations at this point.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

No Such Thing posted:

Valve doesn't want to make anything that's not novel in some way

good joke, friend

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Mr. Pumroy posted:

good joke, friend

oh yea, no. Nevermind.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
If it did, it would probably be disappointing OP.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I don't need it to be incredible, I just want them to finish the story. However I also consider Hl2 to just be a Good Game and not the gaming messiah meant to lead us to the holy land of mountain dew rivers and dorito mountains.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

chaosbreather posted:

no-one there wants to do it and they don't have to do it because all their other things make tons of money, and they're not publicly listed so they don't have to appease poo poo

this is literally a perfect game company, beholden to no-one, infinite resources, hugely profitable making games that they themselves can't stop playing

celebrate it

I'll celebrate it the day they post a job I'm qualified for.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Thug Lessons posted:

If it did, it would probably be disappointing OP.

And that's the gist of it. Valve has decided there is no way they could ever meet expectations, so there's no need to burn goodwill needlessly when there are other avenues that are at least as profitable.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
valve will eventually just become the steam company

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Half Life 3 will come out after Black Mesa is finished

• Locked thread