Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

where people frequently call up the videogame store to make sure that their game is there. Is this a normal thing that other adults do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

sulphix posted:

I called ahead to Best Buy to make sure they had it tomorrow. It was kind of funny spelling out the name and then describing the box art to an employee who either had no idea or had a fun grief on me.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
i've done for games that would sell out really quickly. but otherwise no.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

I've done it for weird used poo poo that might accidentally not be in stock, like ps2 SMT games.

but it seems kinda weird and pointless to do it for a current release, almost as weird as buying a physical copy of a current release for full retail price would be in the first place

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
buying games at full retail price lol

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I've noticed this a lot in Games now that you mention it.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I read Games a lot, so I'm able to recall many of the posters there doing this.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

koolkal posted:

best buy funbux have enabled me to get new releases for as little as $5 so i mean there's that

and they'll always have tons of copies of a new release, even if gamestop insists you need to preorder

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

i didnt notice til just now but that guy used the term "griefing" to describe an action that a real life person might have done in the real world. WTF.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i've also noticed a trend in Games (the forum)

it's constantly bad

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

zen death robot posted:

it's kinda wierd when Amazon exists

Some of us wish to not pay shipping fees.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

lesbian baphomet posted:

i didnt notice til just now but that guy used the term "griefing" to describe an action that a real life person might have done in the real world. WTF.

Grief is an actual word, not just video game slang.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Slur posted:

Some of us wish to not pay shipping fees.
Shipping is free if you're paying $35 and up you ignorant poor.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Shipping is free if you're paying $35 and up you ignorant poor.

Wasn't that way for me when I was paying for a $40 Vita game lately.

..Then again, I can't remember how long ago "lately" was. Maybe I'm getting old.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Falsum posted:

Grief is an actual word, not just video game slang.

you can grieve, be grieving, feel grief or give someone grief, but only in gaming have i seen the verb "to grief"

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Y-Hat posted:

i've also noticed a trend in Games (the forum)

it's constantly bad

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
It can also be used informally as a noun, meaning trouble or annoyance

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Falsum posted:

It can also be used informally as a noun, meaning trouble or annoyance

yes, i used it that way in the examples

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
This is just a common normie thing OP. They don't just go to the store and buy stuff, they call and confirm that it's at the store, and then navigate to the store via GPS. It's hosed up but that's the way the world works now.

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

as a grown baby with no self-control i gotta have my toy on the release date

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Thug Lessons posted:

This is just a common normie thing OP. They don't just go to the store and buy stuff, they call and confirm that it's at the store, and then navigate to the store via GPS. It's hosed up but that's the way the world works now.

Jesus Christ.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I drove to the Hobbit Tour via GPS the other day.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

To play devil's advocate once again, it'd suck if your store was far away and you drove to it only to discover the game was not in stock.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Slur posted:

To play devil's advocate once again, it'd suck if your store was far away and you drove to it only to discover the game was not in stock.

It's smarter to have it sent in the mail, in that case.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
old people say "let your fingers do the walking"

I say "just get it on digital download"

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Liquid Penguins posted:

old people say "let your fingers do the walking"

I say "just get it on digital download"

And then Nintendo comes along and locks your digital download to your console, ensuring you may never re-sell, share, or safeguard your game if your console busts.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

koolkal posted:

hmm im not sure if i should pre-order some lovely game for 60-70 bucks from gamestop or from bestbuy... i really like the look of the gamestop exclusive "vestments of the arch-retard" alternate skin but the bestbuy exclusive is a replica of the protagonist's iconic fedora that i would shamelessly wear outside in public (when that day comes)

hmm oh wow actually i better shell out one hundo for that sweet steel case and cool figurine that will steadfastly protect my virginity from any would-be suitors

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

I feel like this used to be a thing 10 or more years ago but doing it now is p. sad

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Thug Lessons posted:

Dear God... We need to finally start the war against the normies.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

What were the Hobbits up to?

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

God... New Zealand sounds awesome.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

DICKHEAD posted:

What were the Hobbits up to?

There weren't any Hobbits there. Well, there were gardeners and the guide tried to make everyone call him Samwise.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Tour Guide: Hi everyone, my name is sam, and I'll be your guide today. You can call me Samwise...everyone does.

Tourists: *coughing*

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Knuc U Kinte posted:

There weren't any Hobbits there. Well, there were gardeners and the guide tried to make everyone call him Samwise.

lmao

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

yes hello, this is sauron i'm calling to make sure you have the one ring in stock. it's... it's a plain gold ring with some elf language on it when you put it in a fire. okay cool i'll be there later today

*later*

ugh can you believe this, goons? i even called ahead and they knew i was coming but they gave it to some shorty rear end in a top hat. christ why do i even bother there's no human decency these days. the KNEW.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

lesbian baphomet posted:

almost as weird as buying a physical copy of a current release for full retail price would be in the first place

Nothing is this weird

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Mr. Pumroy posted:

yes hello, this is sauron i'm calling to make sure you have the one ring in stock. it's... it's a plain gold ring with some elf language on it when you put it in a fire. okay cool i'll be there later today

*later*

ugh can you believe this, goons? i even called ahead and they knew i was coming but they gave it to some shorty rear end in a top hat. christ why do i even bother there's no human decency these days. the KNEW.

WIZARDS KNEW

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Whats thoe Hobbie Tour

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Tour Guide: Hi everyone, my name is sam, and I'll be your guide today. You can call me Samwise...everyone does.

Tourists: *coughing*

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

Meme Emulator posted:

Whats thoe Hobbie Tour

The Hobbit Tour would be the best name for a Danny Devito Sex Tape.

• Locked thread