Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
ok i was told this game is really cool but why are the cthulu guys such tremendous dicks and how do i not die to them endlessly? My spaceship flies like a loving bus :(

also is this game good? I liked escape velocity and that was pretty fun

er poo poo the game is called star control

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Servaetes posted:

ok i was told this game is really cool but why are the cthulu guys such tremendous dicks and how do i not die to them endlessly? My spaceship flies like a loving bus :(

er poo poo the game is called star control

They're actually the lesser of two dickholes. Try to avoid them, but if not avoidable, then fight them with the actual cthulu guys or the clams. Upgrade your ship. You'll have to kill a lot of animals to do this or find a rainbow planet, but good luck with the second one.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i played the hd remake recently (which owns) and i couldnt figure out how to get people to tell me where the mycon eggs were. do you just have to stumble across them?

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Servaetes posted:

ok i was told this game is really cool but why are the cthulu guys such tremendous dicks

you'll learn the backstories as the game goes on

quote:

and how do i not die to them endlessly? My spaceship flies like a loving bus :(

avoid them, you're no match for them until your ship is upgraded or you ally with the more powerful alien races

quote:

it's legitimately one of the best games ever made

Verviticus posted:

i played the hd remake recently (which owns) and i couldnt figure out how to get people to tell me where the mycon eggs were. do you just have to stumble across them?

ya i think so. there are several and they're all in/near mycon space though

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
1) Play with a pen and paper handy or notepad open. Conversations are clues, and NOT just the lines that give you straight coordinates. If someone says they used to know a species that hung out in the Eta Insulin system then you'll probably find them or an artifact left behind by them in the Eta Insulin system. Do an energy scan on the planets there. If someone says they encountered something coreward from your present location then fly coreward and you'll probably find it. If someone says they defeated an enemy or overcame an obstacle by doing X then you can probably do X as well in that situation.

2) Get resources and bio data. Landing module upgrades are great things to buy from the Melnorme because they feed into getting more of both. You can also buy "hints" from the Melnorme if you're lost. You can also figure out which ships counter other ships naturally and use that to destroy enemies for salvage. For example the human cruiser eats Vux vessels for breakfast, is helpless against the spider dudes, and is evenly matched against Spathi ships. Plan accordingly.

3) Commander Hayes can basically tell you about where any of the main races of the Alliance or Hierarchy live if you want to find them.

4) You should not be fighting with your flagship in the early game. The cost isn't worth it/isn't feasible. You should be building/recruiting other ships to fight with for a while.

5) What ever you do don't bitch out on this game because it doesn't hand you everything on a silver platter like some modern console garbage. It may be the greatest game of all loving time and you should respect it.

• Locked thread