Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So I barely ever play this game any more, but I just want to confirm that dancing on a pubstar Heavy's head and scattergunning him to death while he sprays his minigun wildly still owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
They buffed the Winger? I guess that's good, considering it was total rear end when I last played. Still doesn't seem better than the op-as-gently caress Pocket Pistol + Atomizer combo though.

Actually, a whole bunch of weapons seem to have changed underneath me. You can imagine my surprise when I Axtinguished a Heavy and it was only a mini-crit, for example.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
e: I should read more than just the current page. Wow that's hosed.

Glad I got my environmental kills contract done earlier, it would have been really obnoxious trying to find an appropriate map on quickplay.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Grapplejack posted:

This is going to make comp tf2 really weird for a while

I foresee lots of running Kritz to mid, because crushing the mid fight with it and then having an invuln ready to push last before the other team has even respawned seems really good.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Welp, looks like the two items I got from my week 1 contracts have sold, which paid back my season pass. I have a feeling later weeks will be less profitable though, at least for garbage-tier items.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

RareAcumen posted:

No, it's not just you. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like that one goes on for too long.

With 12 players on a team, it's far too easy to turtle up the lobby area between the points and prevent anyone from getting through. Once the attacking team has secured a hold on that area a good push has reasonable odds at taking the point.

I think it would make an interesting 6s or Highlander map though.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Paul MaudDib posted:

And with Powerhouse, if you can get a nest set up between mid and 3rd it's just over (I think that's the "lobby" you're referring to). There's too few ways for the other team to push from their last to mid to backcap, and there's too many good angles to set a nest up with. Breaking out is virtually impossible.

That is what I'm talking about, yeah. It's also a real pain in the rear end to push in if the defending team have turtled up on their own side. There are only two ways in, you can't spam down a well-positioned sentry from either of them, and they're also kinda underwhelming for an uber push too. You either need multiple ubers, or a significant player advantage in addition to an uber in order to actually bust in. On second thoughts, maybe it's not so hot for Highlander either.

I still think it could work for 6s, just because having fewer players would make that area a fair bit less defensible.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Kelp Plankton posted:

There aren't any Medigun Strangeifiers are there? I like the look of the Civil Servant one but it doesn't look like it can come as a Strange at all.

On that note, does anyone know if changing one of the new weapons to Strange adds the strange counter to the item? Or do they only unbox with those?

All of the weapons you can get are reskins of stock weapons. Stock weapons don't have strangifiers - the strange version is essentially an entirely separate item.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Lol, do you description tag all your weapons as "ORIGINAL WEAPON DO NOT STEAL" or something?

Would it make you feel better if they nametagged the weapon other people picked up as "NOT Roger Explosion's Australium Minigun", or is it still a heinous sin if they just get to use a weapon that looks similar to yours but isn't actually your one?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Roger Explosion posted:

It's not sharing when one party disagrees to it, skippy. Also, name-calling and inventing 'issues' because someone disagrees is not doing you any favours, nor is getting far, far more 'upset' about it than I am at this whole thing.

"I don't want to share my toys, so when my mom makes me give my brother a turn that's stealing"

And then it gets even more idiotic when you realise you can both use the toy at the same time - it's literally "you wouldn't download a car" levels of dumb.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I don't know what's more childish - being upset at the mere idea that someone else gets to borrow a toy that you think of as "yours", or laughing at someone who unironically gets upset at that idea.

Oh wait, nevermind. I figured out which is the childish one.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'm really not obsessing about this, in fact I care about it so little that I'm going to make another post about how I really don't care. Furthermore,

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Roger Explosion posted:

and they're continue posting it forever just because.

:ironicat:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Felix_Cat posted:

Wait wait. I was too cheap to sign up to this new contracts thing, but you're telling me I can just sell some poo poo and break even or better? Is this easy/likely?

It was trivial if you signed up when it first came out. If you sign up now ... maybe? Depends on what you get. Prices have gone down a lot since last week.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Winning rounds on powerhouse is kind of a bullshit contract, though. Between how stalematey the map gets, getting autobalanced, and the map changing after the first win, it took me a whole hour just to finish that bonus.

(The main goal took like, five minutes maximum, but that's kind of beside the point.)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

You would think that at some point, it would be easier to fix it so that physics objects that aren't the bomb don't actually trigger the explosion. Instead of all this dicking around trying to stop those physics objects getting in there.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

pisshead posted:

Since the sticky nerf demos generally do less damage than soldiers.

the sticky nerf only really affects your dps when spamming into a crowd. if your aim is good, you still kill a single dude in the same number of shots, and even when crowd-spamming you still get more dps than rockets thanks to having 8 shots plus four more shots of another potent explosive weapon.

yeah, stickies are harder to use now. they still poo poo out dps for good players though.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

fffff posted:

Sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask this question, but I got a death at dusk pencil pusher out of a crate last night. Does anyone have any advice for pricing? Backpack.tf doesn't even seem to have pricing for it. :psyduck:

https://steamcommunity.com/market/listings/440/Unusual%20Pencil%20Pusher

Looks like things move fairly regularly around the $50 mark for that hat, with (I presume) low-to-mid tier effects. I have no idea how desirable the particular effect you have is - if it's something in-demand, you could presumably get more for it. You might not want to sell it on the steam marketplace though (unless it's not selling elsewhere and you can't be bothered seriously hawking it), since Valve's 15% cut is like, an extra :10bux: you could have in your pocket instead.

There was a TF2 trading thread in Private Game Servers at some point. No idea if it's still active, but if it is it might have people who can give you a better idea of what you could reasonably sell it for.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Xander77 posted:

No, this is a recent change. I've been playing on server that simulate your movement via autopilot, and drops just aren't happening.

... so you were using an exploit to get items without actually playing the game, and you're wondering why Valve decided to fix it?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Jippa posted:

Check out these cool guys.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Lmaoboxmvm

Those robots never stood a chance.

That announcement :allears:

I am shocked, shocked that someone who would use an aimbot in a multiplayer game would be of such low moral character as to scam people.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If your network connection is really awful, you can get animation glitches like that where your client starts playing the animation, but stuff gets lost on the way to server and then eventually it goes "whoops, I guess that didn't actually happen".

Does this still happen when you play a botmatch on a local server?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It used to be that taking out the two minisentries that an engineer could poo poo out consecutively would literally require your entire clip.

I'm sure a bunch of "career engineers" are upset that they can't hit a macro a couple of times and take a player out of the fight entirely though.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Alternatively, you could consider spending $6 on the Gunmettle campaign pass, which will encourage you to explore everything the game has to offer by giving you contracts to try out different things (and rewards when you finish them).

It won't directly help you acquire any new weapons, but you'll get some pretty cool-looking reskins of the stock weapons to run around with, as well as special crates you can offload to people with too much money in order to recoup some of your investment.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So my contract this time around was to be completely incompetent and not contribute anything of value to my team (i.e. play demoknight).

Trip report is that it's actually kind of fun when you're playing against total idiots and can just charge in, kill a fool, charge out (or just keep chaining charge-kills on everybody), but you're totally ineffectual against anyone with any sort of vestige of competence.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You basically have a high chance of opening utter junk, a low chance of opening a strange thing that will give you a small profit (...I think? I haven't checked prices recently) and a minuscule chance of hitting the jackpot with an unusual.

So practically the same as a normal crate, I guess.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's basically a 5 minute timer, and each cap gives you another 30 seconds. The one wrinkle is that blue standing on the point stops the timer.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sanctum posted:

I don't get what you are supposed to accomplish by using the B.A.S.E. jumper.

You have height advantage in every fight, and on top of that you get much more mobility for dodging things than the soldier usually has.

The air strike is a pretty clear upgrade over the stock rocket launcher when you're using it too.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Somberbrero posted:

four years ago i was playing an arena map, and one scout was just dumping on everyone. at one point we killed everyone but him on 8v8 and i jokingly said 'gently caress, if he wins this i will quit tf2.'

then he proceeded to, predator style, hunt down and kill everyone. so i quit tf2 until a day or two ago, when my brother started talking about how he was playing again and it was great.

what even is this game anymore? i played consistently from release to that moment in time and i'm doing well based solely on muscle memory but i'm very confused about the meta. mostly what i've gathered is that everyone is bad and people care more about items than actually playing?

Community servers basically died (rip), unless you go out of your way to join one of the few that are still kicking around you're assigned to a random Valve-operated server close to you. The average skill level of players on those servers is ... not so good. More noticeably, there's a massive gulf between the actually competent players and the rest of them.

Game's still pretty fun if you have hand-eye coordination and an understanding of positioning though.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

When matchmaking is finally released Valve will probably convert a lot of their existing public servers into official matchmaking servers so we may see a resurgence of community servers after that. Assuming Overwatch doesn't steal what's left of the player base.

The fact that there are lots of valve servers isn't really the cause of why community servers are practically dead. The new-player experience in TF2 is focused on making sure they stay far, far away from anything that isn't a Valve-operated server, and community servers aren't really going to be a thing unless that changes.

Matchmaking might revive the comp scene (which is currently dying as well, since game-playing communities were basically the big thing that people stepped up into competitive play from), but I don't think it'll do much for community servers unless they get them back into the quickplay rotation.

Jabor fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Aug 6, 2015

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You realize engineers can move guns, right? It doesn't make a lot of sense to complain that your team's too good and camping them into their spawn, when you could just move your gun up to leech off some of those sweet, sweet spawnkills.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Do Valve servers even still have replays switched on?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You do have to commit to staying pretty close to the choke in order to spam it, though (unlike the stock launcher, where you can e.g. spam corner from spire on badlands easily), so there are definitely some tradeoffs there. It's kind of hard to push a chokepoint without uber against a demoman anyway...

It also does substantially less damage than the stock launcher unless you're consistently getting donks - it's possible that it's overpowered at high levels of play where people can reliably do that, but I don't think it's as much of an issue at low-to-mid.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Zero! posted:

I don't suppose anyone knows of any diagrams or numbers of the actual projectile hitboxes for each weapon and class? I know the class hitscan hitboxes are fairly well documented but I only ever see videos of testing against bots for demonstrations when it comes to projectiles.

AFAIK all the rockets, grenades etc (also, melee weapons) work off the collision hull, which is the same size for all classes.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Clowning on people who can't aim as Scout is the best feeling the world.

Especially Natascha heavies. The slowdown doesn't do anything if you can't even hit the first shot, bro!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you weren't watching stream 2 (Froyo vs TLR), you were missing out. That was an amazing match.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Man, I cannot wait for the frag videos to start coming out. There were some absolutely insane plays going on there.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Use the real server browser, use the tick box to filter out empty servers. (And the other tick box to filter out full servers.)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Solumin posted:

For Gun Mettle? Yes, it ends on September 30th. So 2 more weeks of contracts!

Edit: Does anyone know how many contracts have been released so far? I missed at least 3 weeks of contracts, and I'm trying to figure out how many I have before I'm caught up. My coin says I've completed 20.

23 contracts so far. And either 4 or 5 still to come, depending on whether we get one last contract on the 30th or not.

--

Also, you only need to finish like 10 of the bonuses over the entire season to get a gold coin at the end, it's shouldn't be a problem unless you've been skipping practically all of them.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

qnqnx posted:

He has bad ideas constantly and is bad at every single game on Earth.

Sounds like the Games forum in general TBH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

RareAcumen posted:

Seriously, am I crazy or are all the Valve servers gone?

Have you tried restarting TF2?

Alternatively, find a friend who's playing and select to join their game.

• Locked thread