Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Svdl posted:

I love the pistol so much I gave one to the Heavy.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=370305421

I loved your older version of this. I can see why they wouldn't give Heavy a pistol but I love how goofy he looks with a tiny baby gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Weapon bans are totally necessary for 6s but in general I don't think they're needed for Highlander and I'm kind of pre-emptively groaning about how adding support for banned weapons will affect pubs.

Comp support will be the greater good, of course. And it's not like there aren't servers out there that ban weapons with plugins already. Just, ugh.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Appropos of nothing I love the idea of a real-life gun you shoot at someone and it takes their credit card information.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

This whole update sounds like it plays a lot better than it read on paper. I'm glad to hear it actually sounds like it all works well.

I still think the unusual guns and the gun cases are a bit much though. I'm sure they'll make some folks happy but they are sooooo not for me.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I'm having the problem where the TF2 server browser does not load any games and every attempt at joining a server through friends or IP just stalls and like every other time this happens I forget how to fix it and Googling doesn't remind me, it just shows other people complaining about it.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

wayne curr posted:

One of the new maps is for Arena.
holy poo poo, this MIGHT get a few people playing that gamemode again!

I'm having trouble playing but if a new Arena map means they added Valve servers with Arena rotations I WILL BE SO PUMPED

Then again if it's a Valve server it'll be on the awful Valve rules with 8v8 teams with sitting out or whatever the gently caress.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Why the gently caress is Mannpower Mode out of beta before Asteroid and Cactus Canyon, the maps I actually liked :mad:

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Cactus Canyon got silently added last patch.

wait really :stare: Is it like, actually done? I guess I could answer this by opening the game couldn't I

EDIT: No it didn't, it's still all untextured and listed as beta...noooo. I got excited. I can't imagine it could be that hard to finish it in its current state, or do what Valve is always doing and just pass it off to the community and have them take care of it.

I miss the second stage of Cactus Canyon, honestly.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 29, 2015

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I love that after...5, 6 years now? Moonshine finally gets added and it's just a Halloween version.

I hope they add its True Form after Halloween ends.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Reiley posted:

Moonshine was part of the Invasion update, that awful map with the alligator swamp. Brrr... just thinking about it gives me the shakes

No it wasn't part of the Invasion update. There's no aliens in the swamp. Swamps don't have aliens, but they do have slime monsters, and Norman Bates, so I understand your fear.

But yeah they didn't add the normal versions of Moonshine and uhh, whatever the other ones are normally named. Which feels kinda wrong to me in a way, but whatever.

Grapplejack posted:

Was that the only map to ever use that tileset?

There are a bunch of TF2 custom maps that use the swamp theme; it was the first big community asset pack. The only official maps that use it are Mountain Lab and Snakewater (Lakeside and Nightfall use a few assets from it too but aren't totally swamp themed obviously).

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Peanut President posted:

You guys missed the most important thing, Cuban Bristle Crisis can now be equipped on Soldier and Engie.

What the gently caress, how did this get by unnoticed.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I opened up CTF Hellfire and

1. this is the most 2007 Custom TF2 Map ever, visually, complete with badly done lava

2. Mannpower Mode is still hot garbage.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Ditocoaf posted:

Every time Valve adds a new mode or map that I think is bad, I've only played on it enough to extract some novelty value then kept playing on good maps. So, that's probably why I still enjoy TF2.

That said, I haven't even tried Mannpower or Pass Time yet. I'll try them sooner or later, and then I'll find out if they're bad enough to sour my taste for the rest of the game.

There are very few official maps/gamemodes I outright hate or cannot find any value in. Junction was pretty much the only map I thought of as irredeemably bad until Mannpower Mode happened. (I'm also not a fan of most Halloween maps in general but I don't complain about them because we only have to put up with them two weeks out of the year)

Pass Time is ok but it's a lot slower-paced than I feel should be. As it stands it's just Weird CTF. ...Which, I guess is also a descriptor for Mannpower, but I dunno, Pass Time works in its own little way. I find it playable, if not exactly great.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

What if Valve just tanks the market so nothing is actually valuable anymore. That'd stop scammers.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Yoooo I haven't heard of any of these maps but Highpass, and that one owns and I didn't think it'd ever get added because it's been sitting around for like 2-3 years

quote:

Pyros like to collect rainbows! Extinguishing a teammate will now return 20 health to the Pyro.

After 7 years, this is what it takes to get Pyros to extinguish teammates.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 18, 2015

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Ha ha holy poo poo what were they thinking with the Phlog.

They'll change it quick but holy poo poo they've given up trying.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

8 years. Eight years and this still happens.

Buddy...

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

He's so proud.

I'll raise you a:

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Honestly if anything TF2 Comp Matchmaking sounds like a nightmare. The only thing worse than disorganized pubbies is angry self-made commanders screaming at you over the mic and judging your every move.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

so loving future posted:

CritSandvich is always bumpin'

Oh yeah and I 100% reccommend Critsandvich as the last good community server.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Laputanmachine posted:

Isn't that pretty much The TF2Center Experience?

Pretty much. The only way I can have fun playing any competitive game is if voice chat is not required or I know the people I'll be working with and neither of those will be true for TF2 by the time matchmaking rolls out.

Of course, I say this, but I'm probably going to sink excessive amounts of time into competitive TF2 when it happens and complain every moment of the way

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm just disappointed because they probably won't do highlander and they DEFINITELY won't do twelvelander.

I really, really god drat hope they do highlander or matchmaking is literally useless to me. I mean, aside from being the comp gamemode of my choice, in practice the best thing we can hope for out of matchmaking is "it's Valve server pub games but with class limits"

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

the only screenshots I wish to share are from back in the day when every Valve server had Replays active, and you could get very good screenshots with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

QwertySanchez posted:

Man I miss when an update would bring 100s of new posts. :(

I forgot this was a hole pyro vs heavy thing. The whole new dynamic they've given the pyro makes me wonder what they would have done for the heavy. We coulda had an official fat scout style load out for him! Maybe they'll do that down the line since they've given the pyro like a second subclass now that's also similar to the scout. more mobility and reduced damage melee. though it doesn't hit any faster.

It's a bit of a game changer itself, not including any external damage, it'll take an extra hit to kill every class. Except Medic and Soldier. It's quite clever the way Valve spaced out class health and dealt with weapon damages so things like this happen. Granted a melee weapon like this is only really for clowning on people because if you're a pyro in melee range you could just use your flamethrower instead of trying to melee a soldier or medic.

What taunt do we think the hot hand will get, anyway? (s)he could still air guitar I guess. I'd like the hadouken. Or better yet a whole new taunt animation where pyro just makes a rude gesture.

edit: man if I knew the airblast zone was that huge I would probably try to air blast rockets a lot more. And now it's gone..

IMO Heavy didn't need an overhaul as much, but I still hope he eventually gets one. In 2020. Really I think the Pyro needed this sort of mechanical overhaul and full suite of new weapons, Heavy could be good to just get some new toys and some numbers changes

I absolutely hate that I think the new Pyro stuff looks cool. I'm like an idiot stuck in a maze and TF2 is the center I keep wandering back to.

• Locked thread