Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Coolguye posted:

expand on that a little? where to put a console is seriously one of the biggest things i feel like i need to deal with when i buy another one, i hate having one taking up space on my desk.

The console itself is small enough you can probably squeeze it next to whatever else you have with little trouble. It also comes with the vertical stand if you do that.

The tablet's a little more of an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

PS4 is gonna have a butt load of games coming out starting next month. most of them will be poo poo but that's AAA console vidja gaming for you

Wii u's current library of like 8 great games is going to get added to in painfully slow drips and drops but then in 2-3 years they'll have another year like 2014 where their studios happen to release a bunch of games all at once.

PC will continue being for virgins and xbox will continue to be hilarious.

the console war never changes.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I enjoy playing earthbound on my bed

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

The console itself is small enough you can probably squeeze it next to whatever else you have with little trouble. It also comes with the vertical stand if you do that.

The tablet's a little more of an issue.

that can just go into a drawer or something, I have some cheapo stackable plastic shelves for exactly that sort of purpose

my larger question is about day to day usage and poo poo. since ps4 and xbone don't get that touching your console after it's installed kinda blows rear end they force you to put it somewhere you can get back at it, and that's better used for basically anything else. do you need to gently caress around with the console a lot to play games etc? if most of the good games are available for electronic purchase/download and the tablet works for navigating around and doing most basic things then you could conceivably just throw it against the wall, never to be seen again. as it loving should be.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Coolguye posted:

expand on that a little? where to put a console is seriously one of the biggest things i feel like i need to deal with when i buy another one, i hate having one taking up space on my desk.

the tablet can double as a screen for a hell of a lot of games(and all system functions) so if you're cheap on space you don't even need it to be near the tv

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Coolguye posted:

that can just go into a drawer or something, I have some cheapo stackable plastic shelves for exactly that sort of purpose

my larger question is about day to day usage and poo poo. since ps4 and xbone don't get that touching your console after it's installed kinda blows rear end they force you to put it somewhere you can get back at it, and that's better used for basically anything else. do you need to gently caress around with the console a lot to play games etc? if most of the good games are available for electronic purchase/download and the tablet works for navigating around and doing most basic things then you could conceivably just throw it against the wall, never to be seen again. as it loving should be.

I'm not sure what you mean. You don't really need to access the console itself other than to insert/remove game disks. I'm pretty sure that pretty much everything worth playing is on the eShop but you need to get an external HDD since they only put 32 gigs in it for some reason.

Why do you think you'd need to handle the console a lot, or do you mean just changing games?

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Do you still need to connect the Wii U Pro Controller to a Wiimote like with the Classic controller for Wii? That annoyed me a lot.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Bolverkur posted:

Do you still need to connect the Wii U Pro Controller to a Wiimote like with the Classic controller for Wii? That annoyed me a lot.

the new pro controller is totally independant

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

i'm mad that gamecube controllers are not substitutes for wii u pro controllers.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Why do you think you'd need to handle the console a lot, or do you mean just changing games?
Changing games is a primary reason yes, but most obviously on the Wii you would have to screw around with their retarded motion sensor a lot since it works like poo poo. And since the bone went whole hog into that crap you frequently need to gently caress with it when it isn't calibrated right for what you're specifically doing.

Or on PS3 none of the controller activation poo poo ever worked right so I was turning it on and off from the console too

One pf the nicest things about my pc is that after I have it on and installed it basically just exists in the cubbyhole it has and I never have to touch it again unless it needs service. I dont know what is so goddamn hard about consoles getting there.

But if most good stuff is on the shop that would help substantially

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

mabels big day posted:

i'm mad that gamecube controllers are not substitutes for wii u pro controllers.

This would be really cool, but I prefer Wii U Pro Controllers. It's probably my favorite controller ever. The only feature it's lacking is rumble, which I never really cared for. It has insanely good battery life and is very comfortable.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Coolguye posted:

Changing games is a primary reason yes, but most obviously on the Wii you would have to screw around with their retarded motion sensor a lot since it works like poo poo. And since the bone went whole hog into that crap you frequently need to gently caress with it when it isn't calibrated right for what you're specifically doing.

Or on PS3 none of the controller activation poo poo ever worked right so I was turning it on and off from the console too

One pf the nicest things about my pc is that after I have it on and installed it basically just exists in the cubbyhole it has and I never have to touch it again unless it needs service. I dont know what is so goddamn hard about consoles getting there.

But if most good stuff is on the shop that would help substantially

The problem is that Wii U games vary in size a lot. Nintendo games are usually just a couple of gigs whereas 2nd or 3rd party games can be like 10+ gigs. The basic Wii U drive is only 32gbs, so you'll probably want a USB Hard Drive if you plan to go mainly digital.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Silver Striker posted:

This would be really cool, but I prefer Wii U Pro Controllers. It's probably my favorite controller ever. The only feature it's lacking is rumble, which I never really cared for. It has insanely good battery life and is very comfortable.

that's good to hear, since I initially thought the button placement and all looked kinda weird

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Bolverkur posted:

that's good to hear, since I initially thought the button placement and all looked kinda weird

The button placement is the same as the Tablet. It looks weird but after playing with it for a bit I don't notice it at all.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
wii u pro has rumble, i think a lot of games just dont use it, i know bayonetta does

the triggers arent analog which is bad

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Silver Striker posted:

its no gamecube controller...

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

elf help book posted:

wii u pro has rumble, i think a lot of games just dont use it, i know bayonetta does

the triggers arent analog which is bad

bayonetta almost too much really

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
yea, cutscene rumble is a bad thing

A tomato
Aug 16, 2014

by Ralp
What are some good games for the Wii U

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I'm hearing good things about the xbox one

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

A tomato posted:

NSMBU, 3d World, DK Tropical Freeze, Monster Hunter 3U (online is only in the Wii U version), Mario Kart 8, Hyrule Warriors, Wind Waker HD, The Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, Bayonetta 1+2

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

A tomato posted:

uh all of them. Nintendo is the best and the wii u is better than that even.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

zombi u

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

Is Zombie U actually good, or is this just a Kewpuh-is-a-likeable-retard-who-thinks-bad-but-we-still-like-him thing. Gonna have to ask some non-'tards to confirm or deny.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

conceitedguy posted:

Is Zombie U actually good, or is this just a Kewpuh-is-a-likeable-retard-who-thinks-bad-but-we-still-like-him thing. Gonna have to ask some non-'tards to confirm or deny.

it's ok.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

conceitedguy posted:

its the best use of the gamepad and you can get it for cheap. if you like survival horror games that can get pretty difficult then you will probably enjoy it. its not super pretty or anything and the cricket bat can get repetitive. the game definitely does has some problems, but i enjoyed it a lot

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

do people still play MH3U online

I was addicted as all gently caress to that for a while then I realized I wasn't Very Good :(

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

conceitedguy posted:

I played the demo and didn't really like it, but a lot of other people seem to enjoy it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Silver Striker posted:

The problem is that Wii U games vary in size a lot. Nintendo games are usually just a couple of gigs whereas 2nd or 3rd party games can be like 10+ gigs. The basic Wii U drive is only 32gbs, so you'll probably want a USB Hard Drive if you plan to go mainly digital.

Yeah that is chill, a 256 GB usb drive is as little as 90 bucks these days and I think I still have one bumping around in my drawer of random poo poo

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

conceitedguy posted:

A lot of reviewers hated the game because you had to conserve scarce resources to survive and couldn't just run around killing zombies like it was Left 4 Dead or something. It is a fun game if you like the survival horror genre and hated that the genre is now just another first/third-person shooter with zombies.

I'm not a fan of zombie poo poo but I think the game rules.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Is ZombiU scary in any capacity? That's all I ask

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Silver Striker posted:

The wii u pro controller has more rumble than you would believe. Put the controller down during any cutscene in bayonetta 1 and 2 and you will see what I mean.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

do people still play MH3U online

I was addicted as all gently caress to that for a while then I realized I wasn't Very Good :(
yeah, people are gonna be playing mh3u until the servers go down

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Looper posted:

how scared are you of low-res textures

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Looper posted:

about as scary as most games can get which means it can be pretty creepy and gets tense when you run low on resources

unless you're literally a child and think jump-scare games are scary in which case you won't be scared by it

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Looper posted:

being that any zombie has the capability to one-shot you, everything is dark as hell and youre not given a lot of options to deal with enemies it can be pretty tense

try the demo, gives you a good feel for the game. you can find a copy for 10-15 bucks if you didnt want the demo to end

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
I bought Hyrule Warriors and haven't slept in weeks. Also, the Wii U pro controller is amazing.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Hyrule Warriors is getting too repetitive to continue for me, but that was a great 12 or so hours

Still got a couple locked characters though, Ghirahim and Zant I imagine

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

crazkylo posted:

I bought Hyrule Warriors and haven't slept in weeks. Also, the Wii U pro controller is amazing.

The Wii U pro controller is seriously the best controller.

It doesn't have analog triggers but nothing Nintendo makes uses analog triggers at all so that's okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

I need to buy a Wii U but my daughter has AIDS.

• Locked thread