Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

HorseRenoir posted:

Cleveland Show sucked because it never really found an identity beyond "this resembles Family Guy if you squint at it long enough". American Dad's writers were smart enough to realize that wouldn't work and found their own style really early on.

Also if there was any character from FG that warranted a spinoff, it probably would have been Joe.

yeah the only reason they didn't give Joe one was probably due to American Dad being a thing, and having two McFarlane shows about someone in Law Enforcement would have been conflicting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

my guess is they took an incomplete script that they never figured out how to resolve properly(the asylum plot) and welded it to some ridiculously retarded experimental B-plot idea that someone on the staff had, and it led to this supremely dumb episode becoming a thing

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Neeksy posted:

That's a relief. AD has turned out to be one of my favorite mainstay series.

hopefully the new seasons won't be filled up with old unused scripts from earlier seasons spruced up slightly to be used(seriously I think this is why they got rid of Jeff for a while, so they could use some old unused scripts from before he and Hayley got hitched with as minimal alterations as possible, definitely explains certain other weird characterizations that were in those episodes, even when taking into account the show's continuity and consistency getting worse and worse as the seasons go by), cause man was a large chunk of the first TBS season rather dire(especially American Fung, which might just be one of the worst things I've seen on TV in a long time)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Haha American Dad continuity.

:j: Stan, we had a dog already.
:patriot: I don't think so.
:j: We did. Five years ago you got Steve an old dog that peed dust, and you killed it. We also had another dog named Fussy that you didn't like or something.
:patriot: Francine, those were obviously dreams. I refuse to discuss your dreams in the daytime.

I'll admit I'm one of those people who prefer shows with continuity, so I'll admit McFarlane shows often bug me in that regard(indeed this applies to a lot of shows)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Last Chance posted:

It's okay, my nephew's like that too, but the meds have helped a lot.

your a douche

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

on the one hand that's really helpful(cause yeah I make that mixup all the time), on the other posting all that instead of linking me to somewhere for that comes off as being really passive aggressive, which I'll admit cheeses me off a tad

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The MMJ episode I'm fine with if mostly cause it's existence lead to Majestic happening

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Gaunab posted:

Last season was perfectly fine and if I had to pick the worst episode it would have to be the Stan of Arabia two parter earlier in the series.

Really, cause most people consider that the point where the series starts becoming good and more than a Family Guy clone

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Holy crap you guys were right about American Fung being terrible. It's like a completely different writing staff worked on that episode.

I really wouldn't be surprised if they took an incomplete rejected script(the Stan gets Francine committed parts of the episode), and then added the Fung parts to pad it out into a full episode so they'd be able to complete the first season order for TBS, it's hard for me to imagine an episode ending up so badly otherwise, otherwise you are right about the TBS season being fun for the most part, even if the quality has dipped a bit

also anyone else find it kinda weird that we haven't gotten an announcement for when the next season is set to premiere yet?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Party Plane Jones posted:

They said 2016 I believe; which is weird since the backlog has to be approaching something like 30 episodes at this point.

maybe they want a decent backlog for a reason, like maybe it's going to be the center of a programming block or something

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

TheFattestPat posted:

Are these backlog episodes finished as in already storyboarded? Because some of these newer episodes feel like they're scripts that were fished out of the garbage.

A lot of these episodes were apparently based on old unused scripts and ideas from earlier seasons(explains pretty much everything about American Fung), which might be why they got rid of Jeff for a while, as most of them would have been from before he became a main character

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

Note that it is the diner under the napkin, not the food. To hide your sin from God, that's how terrible it is to prepare one of these tiny birds to be eaten.

Yeah I can only think of a couple other foods that would likely tick off God more(and thus Roger would probably like), and they all involve cooking or eating the animal while it's still alive

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

Everything about that episode was great. Although it was pretty obvious the writers had never actually played an MMO.

That's been the case with pretty much all MMO episodes ever made, and most videogame episodes in general

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

Actually the anime Log Horizon feels really MMO at the start, albeit one designed by a crazy person and with a decade's worth of expansion cruft attached to it (there's a character who has Princess as one of her classes).

Well I meant for Western stuff, Japanese stuff is generally better in that area

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The South Park episode of World of Warcraft is pretty spot on.

That's an exception to the rules, and even that one gets things wrong

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

My Q-Face posted:

Not to mention all the "now you're a man" coming of age stories they lampshaded with Stan forgetting them when Steve said "what about that time I x, and also x".

Yeah continuity is almost nonexistent in American Dad these days, which I'll admit is one of the things I really don't like about most "Adult" animation these days, less about callbacks to older episodes(although those are nice) and more cause it leads them to repeatedly reusing plots till they become unbearable to watch be used again

To give an example of this, they've done the "Steve tries to date/have sex with a girl but blows it in the end" plot almost 40 times now(a guy on /co/ made a chart about it, I'll see if I can find it), and it's gotten really stale by now cause we know how it's going to end(and good joke writing only goes so far, and American Dad has been overall more miss than hit in that area for a long time now)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

:j: Stan, we had a dog already.

:patriot: I don't think so.

:j: We did. Five years ago you got Steve an old dog that peed dust, and you killed it. We also had another dog named Fussy that you didn't like or something.

:patriot: Francine, those were obviously dreams. I refuse to discuss your dreams in the daytime.

I'll admit I find that more obnoxious than just not mentioning prior events occurring at all

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

bull3964 posted:

Then you hate fun. One of the best things about American Dad is the lampshading they do.

Roger/Jeannie Gold: Stan, these are my sons, Alex and Ron. They're in Columbia Film School.

Stan: How is that possible?

Roger/Jeannie Gold: I know. I look too young to have kids in college.

Stan: No, that you have children when your persona is completely fabricated...

Roger/Jeannie Gold: We are the music makers. We are the dreamers of dreams.

Stan: That is an unsatisfying answer.

Most of the other times they do it are fine, that specific time just came off as the writers being smartasses and not in a funny way

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Yeah, I agree it's the most annoying thing about this genre. I wouldn't want it to suddenly change for AD or anything, but I would love to see animated sitcoms in the future that actually age characters. You don't have to do it year by year, but like eventually for the sake of shaking up the stories.

Glad to see someone else agrees, and honestly American Dad would be improved by a time skip, cause most of the plots they use Steve for these days would work better if he was 18 or older(same with Chris on Family Guy on the rare occasion they actually give him plot relevance anymore), and him being a High School student at all only has relevance still at this point cause the writers love Principal Louis

Honestly it just shows that for most Adult Animation shows, characters under the age of 18 cause more problems for the writing than they solve(Bob's Burgers and South Park are exceptions to this)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

Steve going to college would be a great opportunity for comedy, I think

Better than it was for Hayley at least

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Here's a good example of that: Klaus was originally supposed to be put into the body of a parrot at the end of Finances With Wolves not another fish. Presumably this would have been the start of Klaus having his brain transferred into lots of different animals as the series went on, but Fox said no so Klaus has stayed a goldfish forever.

It's still a shame they couldn't do the parrot thing, cause it's obvious the whole "stuck as a goldfish" thing is something the writers ran out of things to do with a long time ago and struggle to write around(which is why there's on average maybe 2 episodes a season that give him any real plot focus or even more than 2-3 lines in any given episode), when him being a parrot would have opened new avenues for him and make him easier to write into plots since he'd be more self-sufficient and mobile

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Hayley is still just hanging around the house.

Yeah but besides the fact that her being in college long lost any relevance(indeed I'm actually pretty sure she no longer even goes), episodes revolving around her as a college student almost always sucked, while a lot of Steve's plots would work better with him as a college student instead of a high school student

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

It had the creative touches of a man who might think fine dining was a ravioli burger or cap'n crunch vegetable tempura.

To be fair a ravioli burger sounds pretty good, not so sure about the tempura though

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

It'll only come up again if it's funny. Continuity in American Dad exists for the sole purpose of enhancing jokes. Case in point:

Francine: Stan, we had a dog already.

Stan: I don't think so.

Francine: We did! Five years ago you got Steve an old dog that peed dust, and you killed it.We also had another dog named Fussy that you didn't like or something.

Stan: Francine, those were obviously dreams. I refuse to discuss your dreams in the daytime.

I'm still of the opinion that is actually a pretty huge weakness of the show and not a strength(especially since the show's writers just use it as an excuse to reuse old plots again and again, which leads to ridiculous things like them having done the incredibly worn out "Steve tries to get a date/laid" plot more than 40 times by now)

Just once I'd like to see an animated sitcom have absolute continuity between all episodes, cause I'm certain if it could pull it off it'd be something amazing

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Have you seen the last two seasons of south park?

I mean from the very beginning

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

limp_cheese posted:

The Venture Brothers?

I'll admit I do feel silly for forgetting about Venture Brothers, but we definitely need more like it

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Neeksy posted:

Mission Hill had continuity.

That one didn't last long enough to count, I mean something that's lasted multiple seasons

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The Nastier Nate posted:

King of the Hill? Buckley died, Joseph went through puberty, Cotton got married and had a baby, Nancy eventually broke up with John Redcorn.

American Dad is not the show you're looking for. Whatever gets us is to the next joke is all the continuity American Dad needs.

King of The Hill did it pretty well overall, but even it had some continuity goofs, and like all Sitcoms was overly reliant on "Return to Status Quo" endings(which is honestly the thing that annoys me the most about these kind of shows, kinda feels pointless to introduce something just to undo it by the episode's end)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

They weren't even consistent about the whole killing people off, as several of those people would show up in the background of later episodes

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Honestly this episode highlights an issue I've had with American Dad for a while now, an over reliance on violence and/or death for humor, it's just kinda cheap and lazy

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I don't know, especially when you think about like 85% of the 250+ episodes have the exact same A plot;

Stan Hates Thing
Stan is Forced to Try Thing
Stan Obsesses Over Thing
Stan Learns Lesson

Pretty much the only plot beat this show uses that I am tired of is the "Steve tries to date/have sex with a girl only to screw it up(or someone else screws it up for him)" one, partially because it's really overdone(having been done at least 40 times), and partially cause it's honestly too predictable of a plot, and is rarely funny

One of the reasons why I still feel the show would be better if Steve had been the college aged kid and Hayley had been the high school aged kid, cause since Steve's a minor they can't really do much with his recurring dating/sex seeking plotlines(thus the constant return to status quo is a lot more blatant than it is for any of the other main characters), while only a couple of Hayley's plots would be effected by her not being an adult from my recollection

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well Hayley would not have Jeff as a husband in that one case.

Wouldn't be the first underage marriage in one of Seth's series(Cleveland Brown Jr got married in one episode of The Cleveland Show, and it actually stuck, although it only got brought up a couple times in that show and hasn't come up since Cleveland and his family moved back to Quahog, but then again Cleveland's family besides Donna have basically been glorified scenery since that happened)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

Was I weird to have found the Cleveland show really charming and heartwarming? I never really understood why people thought it was weaker among the series.

Way I see it, Cleveland Show was better than Family Guy, and while it never got as good as American Dad can get, it was still pretty decent

Nichael posted:

I don't really think Hayley or Steve would work as well with different ages. Too much of their characters kind of require them to be the ages they are.

Eh I'd say Hayley's rebellious daughter shtick would actually make more sense if she was high school aged, and Steve often acts more like a college student than Hayley ever does

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

That wasn't particularly good(the whole Hamster thing felt a bit too wacky for something not involving Roger or Klaus, plus didn't like the oxycontin joke either)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Supposedly Bob's Burgers is getting a movie, which is kinda surprising considering it's scheduling

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I hope it is though.

I'd rather not, I've never been fond of Roger killing people

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Party Plane Jones posted:

Losing Mike Barker sort of removes a lot of the Terry/Greg interactions and American Dad doesn't have a large dedicated backcatalog of characters. Outside of the family and Steve's friends I think the most used characters were Lewis, Bullock and Greg/Terry. After that you're digging into Reginald territory.

To be fair that's at least partially because the show is a little too free with killing characters off

Also they should bring back Linda

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

Well he's learned so many lessons throughout the years--several of them multiple times!

Really hate it when shows do that, even more so when they're self aware of it like American Dad is, just feels lazy

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

MizPiz posted:

Tbf, at least half those times the lesson is followed by which ever character saying "Nah, gently caress that"

I consider that to be part of the same problem

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

A MIRACLE posted:

I treat king of the hill after season 8 almost as a different show, the characterizations completely changed

There's definitely a fair amount of episodes across the show's run that I pretend don't exist due to not being good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

This is true of every long running show though, I know there are certainly a few American dad episodes I skip during a rewatch.

True to at least some extent, it just stands out more for KOTH than most other animated sitcoms