Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

http://salaryshare.me/634867902d58f15321d314b45a7cff9b

It's useful, from time to time, to check what your peers are making to validate your own sense of self-worth. Post your salary into this thing and we'll determine CoC's median salary.

Students - if you're currently unemployed, but you've done internships, just project the monthly rate out from your last internship over 12 months e.g. a $6000/mo internship should be $72000. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF8wLg5Asgo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Markov Chain Chomp posted:

http://salaryshare.me/634867902d58f15321d314b45a7cff9b

It's useful, from time to time, to check what your peers are making to validate your own sense of self-worth. Post your salary into this thing and we'll determine CoC's median salary.

Students - if you're currently unemployed, but you've done internships, just project the monthly rate out from your last internship over 12 months e.g. a $6000/mo internship should be $72000. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF8wLg5Asgo

It can't parse or remove punctuation? Come on now...

And I put in my salary, because why not.

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Drastic Actions posted:

It can't parse or remove punctuation? Come on now...

And I put in my salary, because why not.

I think it was put together pretty quickly, but the core functionality is there.

List is looking pretty good so far. I think someone on this list should be buying everyone av changes, haha

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Should we include expected bonuses and stock grants/options?

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

I think it looks like people are doing base, but I guess either works. Maybe only do predictable, steady and liquid income?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Seems like the ideal would be to have separate stats for other types of income, then you could view the data based on just base or adding the other stuff in if you want.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
Are you in silicon valley [Y/N], might be good because their numbers may just skew the gently caress out of this.

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Winkle-Daddy posted:

Are you in silicon valley [Y/N], might be good because their numbers may just skew the gently caress out of this.

Those assholes! :o

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Winkle-Daddy posted:

Markov Chain Chomp posted:

Those assholes! :o
Awww yeeaahhh

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Winkle-Daddy posted:

Like Mr. "USD 412000"?

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

oRenj9 posted:

Like Mr. "USD 412000"?

I'm assuming that was a typo extra zero, or they're lying. Normalize by removing the outliers!

E: or prove your worth by buying me plat. tyia

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
geez is it really that hard to provide a histogram or some groupings or something. i'm no dataviz guy but c'mon

v1nce
Sep 19, 2004

Plant your brassicas in may and cover them in mulch.
Yeah this is a bit loving ropey for a distributed system. I can understand if you wanted to do a whip-round at your work and get an anonymous overview of everyone's pay, but it's going to get hosed up when you're getting international statistics.

It really needs for the input to take currency and locale, otherwise the data is pretty worthless.

I don't know why they didn't put the code for this on github so we can make it not suck.

Edit: oh my god that results page you have got to be loving kidding me

v1nce fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 28, 2014

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

v1nce posted:

Yeah this is a bit loving ropey for a distributed system. I can understand if you wanted to do a whip-round at your work and get an anonymous overview of everyone's pay, but it's going to get hosed up when you're getting international statistics.

It really needs for the input to take currency and locale, otherwise the data is pretty worthless.

I don't know why they didn't put the code for this on github so we can make it not suck.

Yeah gently caress i need a raise

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

v1nce posted:

Are you okay?

v1nce
Sep 19, 2004

To clarify, I was more complaining about the raw unreadable data dump than the data itself.

After taking a look at the description on the homepage, this thing really was only intended to be used amongst friends/colleagues, but it still annoys me greatly that it's so close to being usable across a wider audience, but just falls short.

Derail aside, I'm not doing too shabby for web-dev, but those numbers make me feel bad for the semi-juniors at my previous job.

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

We're all friends here.

v1nce
Sep 19, 2004

The peanuts they pay me are rose tinted :smith:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Interesting stalls every $10k. Human bias at work.

Also the dollar is hell of weak against the pound right now, I'm so sorry :(

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy

Novo posted:

geez is it really that hard to provide a histogram or some groupings or something. i'm no dataviz guy but c'mon

Using my super special Excel skills, here you go:

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:
Cost of living is completely ignored here. What's good in one place can be poo poo in another.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Yeah, it's meant for one office full of people too embarrassed to talk about their own salaries in the open and too lazy to sign up for glassdoor to use.

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy
If any of you want to give more detailed information so it's actually useful, I threw together a Google form here:

http://goo.gl/forms/3OE4bDPNRr

Post if you can think of anything else that should be added.

EDIT:
The results page is basically worthless, so here's a read-only link to the results spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dFQpDY2mYapVNGq0H9uw_vydAyiuubFD7wMIximysLA/edit?usp=sharing

EDIT2:
Doh, forgot years of experience. If you've already submitted, feel free to submit again. I'll remove any obviously duplicated entries and update the CPI/Rent index as I'm able to.

Bognar fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 30, 2014

Wardende
Apr 27, 2013
I need a new goddamn job I make $70k in san francisco as a software engineer. kill me

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Wardende posted:

I need a new goddamn job I make $70k in san francisco as a software engineer. kill me

haha I'm the guy who input $5k and I live in DC :smithicide:

Wardende
Apr 27, 2013
haha that better be a non-profit (in that you don't make any profit)

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

Wardende posted:

Wow, that's extremely low for SF

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Wardende posted:

Get one!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bognar posted:

If any of you want to give more detailed information so it's actually useful, I threw together a Google form here:

http://goo.gl/forms/3OE4bDPNRr

Halp.

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy
Haha, wow ok - didn't realize it would do that. I just removed the requirement on that question.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
peanuts confirmed :smithicide:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

In case anyone doesn't know about these somehow: http://www.payscale.com/ and http://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/index.htm are the fully funded business versions of that spreadsheet and can be great when asking for a raise because you can have sort-of proof that you're underpaid.

If you're overpaid, then congrats and come up with a different reason they should pay you more :D

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Huh, $65k with 2 years of experience in the Philly suburbs puts me right around the median for the same experience around goons. Ok then.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Bognar posted:

Stock options/grants? They're not base salary but generally are guaranteed in your employment contract.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Wardende posted:

Jesus dude, I work in Verona WI and our devs start at like $85k fresh out of college these days, not including the insane healthcare coverage and annual bonuses.

Like for real, if you don't mind cold weather and midwestern accents (and programming in MUMPS) I can post one of my throwaway emails for you to hit me up at.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Bognar posted:

Programming Field & Title?

Example:
Embedded / Senior Developer
Web / Junior Developer

Etc.

There's a little ambiguity especially with titles, but it still provides a little bit more of the picture.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
Been working for 3 months now - junior web dev. I earn 10000$/year, live in Eastern Europe. I like how 40000$/year seems to be the bottom for you, that would be mad cash for me even after gruesome taxes at that level. I believe I am the peanut king, unless some Indian/Pakistani shows up that works for 2$/h over odesk.

Gmaz fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 31, 2014

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

.... (and programming in MUMPS) ....

That's the critical piece of information. To do that, i need my weight in gold (110kg) each month. Delivered by 72 virgins. With an helicopter. On the roof of my mansion.

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy

Knyteguy posted:

Programming Field & Title?

Example:
Embedded / Senior Developer
Web / Junior Developer

Etc.

There's a little ambiguity especially with titles, but it still provides a little bit more of the picture.

Updated.

EDIT: Also updated the spreadsheet with CPI and rent index numbers as best I could.

Bognar fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Oct 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

No stock field? Or is that supposed to be part of base salary?

• Locked thread