Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Morglon posted:

They still seem to hover above 300 but people have been selling them in trade chat for as "low" as ~280 per log so depending on the time of day the price fluctuates quite a bit. Seeing as how farm carts and fishing boats help you make money so much faster than just not having them it seems somewhat fair. I expect that price to go up though with Auroria because everybody and their mom will start getting farm wagons.

Trees, not logs. And earlier it was down to like 1200 but it's a weekday now so it'll probably shoot back up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

wfwon posted:

That is until the "PvP" Commander, Kim-"FYGM"-semus, decide to screw everyone by killing all the other "non allied" greens fishing with us.

This is perhaps the most hilarious thing I've read on these forums.

Have you considered splintering?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Haha stop killing the pubbies I love! what the gently caress is this

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Listen guys if we roll in and take everyone's fish we won't be allowed to slowly and painstakingly do it ourselves and

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
It's really dumb that you've got something that is intended to be a high-risk/high-reward activity and people are furious when someone injects the risk back into it. Yes, it turns out that the most lucrative activity in the game that also puts you into a position to be easily murdered might require a little bit of thought to not get all your poo poo stolen.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Didn't you guys manage to get a few forestcrow to ragequit during that too?

It seems more goons ragequit as a result though.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Holyshoot posted:

I don't play this game anymore. I stopped playing a couple months before it was out for everyone and sold my alpha copy to some goon about 3 weeks before it came out. I was also banned from the off site for posting on their forums that kewpah wasn't a bad guy. :iiam:

You were banned in the post-doublestep purge because your auth information wasn't correct. It's really weird that nobody talked to you about that. If you auth correctly you should have no difficulty getting back in.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I wish I'd stayed in goon squad for this. Just so I could say I was kicked during the Night of the Goon Knives.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Merope posted:

Has the yata jump been changed since the game released? I had read about how awesome it was but when I leveled mine up it was a small unimpressive jump.

Also, for how long is the shard > dust > shard .. way of leveling Alchemy good for, does it stop giving points eventually? I'm under 6k now, will it take me over 10k? Can I use it up to max level?

Yes, the game does not have skill thresholds that stop giving you proficiency.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I am Canvox and would like to be invited to GOONFLEET. I am posting here because I guess proof of goon is a thing.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Axel Serenity posted:

Something about the fishing treaty and the majority of the guild being mad at it being broken so there were literal riots for your head or something. Also, Valor being good friends with goons since '94 or something or so he knew everything. I wanted to screenshot the conversation because it was so random and out there, but apparently the buttons I thought were ss buttons were not. :(

That's not entirely untrue, though. There was a riot for kimsemus's head because he killed green fishers. Although kimsemus didn't actually break the treaty he just followed it which apparently nobody was supposed to do.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
haha I spammed dodgy with mail because officers weren't respecting the importance of fishing and he got tired of it and put jerkjerk in charge and he didn't respect fishing either so I mailed literally all the guild resources to wicked so next time respect fishing

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
rename imp zone to fish zone so we can remember to respect fishing

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

ruffz posted:

The solid shaft supposedly requires the 2 TS trees and 1 sunridge ingot

It's not supposed because it's craftable now and required for fishing boats.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
please respect fishing

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Wait wasn't the whole point of GSA that people in it DON'T get into goon squad? How did you gently caress up this very simple concept?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Darkrunners aren't too shabby at sea because you can just tigerstrike in the general direction of a boat to board it usually. If our alpha doesn't hurt you too bad we're dead, but if it hurts you pretty bad but doesn't kill you, you better have enough CC to keep us locked down or you'll probably go out. If an archer class starts in melee with us they probably won't get away.

The only thing to keep in mind about all melee classes in this game is the garbage netcode. If an archer has freerunning popped, already at range, and is kiting properly, it is actually impossible to hit them. The server won't let you use your abilities where they seem to be on your client, and the client won't let you use your abilities where they actually are on the server. So those two areas have to overlap somewhat to be able to use your abilities and for a kiting archer with freerunning cast, melee-range abilities generally don't. Tiger strike, stalker's mark, and to a lesser extent shadowstep are the only abilities you have that can reach a kiting archer, and tiger strike and shadowstep might deposit you in the wrong spot to follow up so it's kind of a crapshoot once they get into a position to kite.

If they start out in melee you need to lock them down immediately whenever they start to move out of range so you don't get in that situation. Once they're at range and kiting you're probably dead.

Unless you're 1v1ing them it's actually NBD just because the archers are going to be focusing on things like healers usually or, you know, the other darkrunner. They're going to be trying to support their teammates, so it's not hard to jump on them and gently caress them up.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Hi, you don't even have to blow up the ship unless it's got something in the boxes. The hold where you put fish doesn't count as "cargo" for the purposes of keeping the thing from desummoning so if you just drive it away until it times out and desummons it'll drop the fish on the surface of the water and you can grab them. If it's faster to blow it up then go for it but you can just gtfo and still grab your fish. It's usually a good idea to just murder the captain and have some dude start driving the boat away while other goons clean up.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

SumYungGui posted:

Would you have a different opinion if the people that left were also that ones that earned the stuff that had been collected?

Considering that I collected more than 15 stone packs worth of materials and have yet to receive them back from the individuals who took off, what the gently caress does that have to do with this situation?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Listen guys we might have taken off with your video game poo poo but I have a lot of reasons why we're the good guys here.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I mean like poo poo I'm doing okay without that 300-400g but you're still kind of a dick for taking it, why is this something we gotta argue about?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
So what's the over/under on # of hours before another splinter wanders in here and claims that they only walked off with their own stuff? Seems like it happens about once per day.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Extra posted:

Wasn't DBRB also one of the first whistleblowers in this whole thing because of his knowledge?

No, you're thinking of the poster you are responding to.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Lothar posted:

Pretty sure he wasn't the one that stole everything. Pretty sure he returned everything that was given.

I haven't gotten poo poo, as I keep reminding everyone.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Dahn posted:

You know that one kid that likes to kick over sand castles in the sand box and then wonders why the other kids get mad. Well that sort of happened.

Except that there were those of us taunting the fisher to splinter the moment they started crying, but I sure as hell didn't expect them to walk off with my poo poo. And hey look JackDRipper is here to reset the "days since fishing goon last claimed they didn't steal anyone else's poo poo" counter to 0.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

gwrtheyrn posted:

I don't really know why you weren't expecting that

Because that's not a normal thing to do when you leave a guild because you disagree over what is a fun thing to do in a video game. Especially when you're leaving because goons are killing pubbies because that's pretty much default behavior.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

This is precisely my poo poo.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Third World Reggin posted:

Besides all those materials, there are grades of items based on the skill levels used to gather them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eNokCaEeHA

Just try to watch that video.

During the crafting you may get events that gently caress with you even farther.

EDIT

Ore refining made easy

This is like WildStar as envisioned by Ulillillia.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

The Shortest Path posted:

So I kind of stopped giving a gently caress about this game for the past month, I thought everything was relatively stable on the "everyone being dumbasses" front but apparently not. What happened and what did I miss?

I did hear about the guild getting tricked by Forest Crows and losing out on a castle, which is hilarious and exactly what I saw coming the second that Dodgy said we were going to be working with them.

? That's not what happened at all.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Goons wanted to spend their time fishing for money, other goons wanted to do things that were actually fun, including stealing fish that pubbies had spent time fishing for money. The problem for those goons was that in order for people to be able to fish they had to make deals with basically everyone to not be aggressive around fishing holes. Now again this wouldn't be a problem because as mentioned, robbing people who are fishing is just as effective at making money as fishing yourself and is also cheaper, but some people did not want to fight other players and instead wanted to make deals and fish fish. These two groups of goons got mad at each other. One of the fishing goons bugged Dodgy to take care of this by kicking Kimsemus who had raided some fishing spots in accordance with some rules that had been set up but weren't intended to be followed or something, but Dodgy is busy with family stuff so his solution was to give the guild to Tatersyum who immediately started booting people from the guild. This started with the head of the PVP group of goons but went on to include a lot of people from both groups. Then he gave the guild to jerkjerk and went back to wicked. Jerkjerk reinvited basically everyone but one of the fishing goons decided he didn't invite his friend fast enough or something so the fishing goons took off with the entire guild bank and started their own guild. This is the hard reason why there is no castle but there are many softer reasons including that goons are not numerous or geared or effective enough to defend one. Forest Crow had really nothing to do with it at all. Once again, the enemy is us.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

The Shortest Path posted:

Now I probably don't even want to start playing again.

If there is a good time to play Archeage with goons it's probably now. I went pirate which is fun but everyone who is still in Goon Squad has said it's got a lot better since the splinter just by virtue of the people who splintered being gone.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
HOLY gently caress

You guys, last night I cashed out. I traded my account for a $75 copy of elite. The only thing of any real worth on my entire account was a solid shaft.

THAT GUY GOT hosed. Sorry, guy, I didn't know this poo poo was happening.

But lol.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

gwrtheyrn posted:

There will never be merchant ship agreements on the scale that there is fishing because frame rates aside, you don't make less money when more people are fishing, but you make less money if there are more people running the same packs are you.

Also fishing only scales to the point where you stop getting reasonable fps

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflation

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

gwrtheyrn posted:

Inflation won't help you if everyone is running charcoal packs or whatever--you'll have almost half payout and the market will be oversupplied with whatever you're selling if everyone is just spam running merchant ships

My point was is that fishing doesn't scale very well because if every major guild is pulling in a ton of fish the actual net wealth effect on your guild is very low, assuming that people who fish are going to do anything except line their pockets. For there to be an increase in wealth in this game there have to be:

1) People getting money
2) Other people not getting money

This is why fishing pacts are really dumb, because they only work if a small percentage of each guild is actually fishing and then keeping all the money for themselves. In other words, enriching other guilds at a cost to your guildies. In this post-rumbling tree world fishing is extra-super dumb because literally everyone can fish if they want to. Taking fish from others is still the best activity because you're not only getting money for yourselves but you're also preventing money from going to other people. Also it's not loving boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

kznlol posted:

You can dodge the requirement to input your own labor by stealing poo poo from other players and using their labor, but that's so time-inefficient that unless you get tons of enjoyment from it (which, sure, I can believe) it's not worth doing.

Why do people keep saying this? When I was with customer support our main gold block was the fact that we could only turn fish in on Freedich so we would have to stage it for long periods of time and we would run out of space to stage fish almost immediately. The other issue was we were limited by how many fish we could carry at a time because the guild only had like a single fishing boat. I suspect that that has changed in the past few days. The idea that full fishing boats are difficult to locate or something is laughable. We'd find them two at a time with a merchant boat and we'd either run out of space to store fish or the merchant boat owner would have to leave. Pirating fish is absolutely more time-efficient than actually fishing, because we can find and steal a boat full of fish with 5 people much faster than 5 people can find a good spot and fill a boat full of fish. Factor in chum & lures and it's not even close.

• Locked thread