Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
I was playing this game and it was fun to be able to tie people up with a skill rotation that made them unable to do anything but be stuck in an infinite CC loop but then when I went to investigate goon guilds to join I learned that they screamed at each other a lot and defended a kiddyfucker and then decided maybe I'll just play FFXIV instead and stick to Chivalry for my pubby tears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
This is what made me quit this game for one where goons aren't awful pedophile apologists.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

Kimsemus posted:

Off-Site Drama

Why don't you just splinter off if you're not happy with the way they're going instead of blowing it up into a huge argument? Take your PVP friends and go PVP, leave the grindy PVE guys to do their thing, live and let live. It's a game, you're supposed to have fun with it. Oh and then murder all the PVE guys and harvest their tears.

When Auroria launches I'm totally gonna give this game another try, if FFXIV doesn't have me in its iron grip at that point. Are there any new skill trees coming in Auroria, or is it all just dungeons and items?

Kobold eBooks fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 29, 2014

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

Roflan posted:

This game has PVE content? What is the content of this game, anyway? As an outsider whose only exposure is this thread and the character creator, I got the impression that game was about making as much money as possible. But never heard what you do with the money.

PVE? PVP? Pretty princess? What? All I've seen is that you use the money to kill people and take their money. And you're a sucker if you do that, since the best way to make money is to hack and cheat. And if I wanted to do that, I'd do it in real life. At least EVE has the stupid political crap.

Why do you people play this game? I think you're all crazy.

It has pretty good PVE content if you're into that and you can play wilderness Harvest Moon if you want.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

Malakesh posted:

I have to say I admire imp zone's ability to keep its eye on the prize in this thread and the previous ones. You guys don't skip a beat, Great job.

To clarify a few things, the majority of people left not because of fishing but because most people who cared about the guild were not getting anywhere because of various setbacks that effectively neutered their ability to get anything done. Examples BFM and the surrounding drama, SCT leaving, Dodgy being gone for several weeks( hope things are going better for you man), Kimsemus directly defying other officers wishes, etc. We had made considerable progress in spite of dodgy being gone in getting the guild prepared for auroria. That is why you saw so much energy being pumped into fishing. The reality is that it was means to an end. People were trying to get money so that they could get gear and in turn so that they could do what we, the officers, had asked of them. This of course was that they be prepared for Auroria.
Kimsemus was told by multiple officers not to pirate in the areas where goon fishers were known to be unless explicitly requested by them. This was supposed to last until Auroria. What he did instead was directly the opposite and when called out, again multiple officers, he proceeded to goon gently caress like none other. A metaphorical game of "I'm not touching you, I'm not touching you, im not touching you!". Taters, getting control of the guild had nothing to do with the splintering and in fact is what quite a blessing. He realized that Kimsemus was destructive to the guild which was why he was immediately kicked( also due to the fact that he is a complete tool). For a split second we had real goon unity and we absolutely stomped Freedich and anyone who opposed us. We pushed 2 or 3 merchant ships full of packs in a matter of minutes. It was incredible and I was really hopeful that we might be able to get it back on track. Once that concluded we were essentially back to the way things were and everyone proceeded to make mountains out of nothing. The result of all of this bullshit was that those of us who really wanted to see the guild progress became so burnt out that we just didn't give a gently caress anymore. I really wish all of you could have seen and heard the amount of positive discourse we had two weeks ago about the future of the guild in mumble and officers chat on the offsite. Things were really looking up until this whole fishing drama poo poo happened.

That is why you saw a mass exodus of the real movers and shakers of the guild to wicked or other guilds. The irony of it all is that the same people who complained about the guild not doing anything were the ones being vocally disruptive. In the end, we all lose.

:negative:

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

UoI posted:

Honestly, posting those screencaps was a pretty childish and lovely thing to do, and if you'd do that with a goon forum and post it on an open forum, what's to keep you from doing the same with the Goonrathi forums? Or any other goon forums?

Still though: :munch:

Please get help.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

balistafreak posted:

Piracy leans more towards WoW than EVE in terms of ease of access, although it's not as spoonfed as say battlegrounds.

It's as Extra says; you do need a little knowledge, setup, and infrastructure.

Knowledge comes from knowing the routes and rhythm along them - when do people move from point A to point B, and where can you position yourself to expose yourself to the maximum number of targets. Setup comes from needing a decent sized fleet - I need a minimum of 10 people in my fleet, 4 to crew the junk safely and 6 to have 4 fighting marines on the tackle clipper. Finally, infrastructure comes from having some very expensive ships in pocket; people clamor "balista let's go pirate" because I'm one of the few people in the guild with BOTH a junk and a merchant ship. This makes me a VIP; the junk provides the radar that lets you find and catch targets, and the merchant ship lets you steal the contents of other merchant ships without having to bring 20+ people in the raid and thus water down the profits.

However, once you put all three together, you can have targets literally instantly. We'd teleport to a spot, glider into the ocean, and still be climbing onto the junk and clipper when I'd take a look at the radar and see a target is barrelling headlong towards us. Admittedly it isn't ALWAYS this easy - sometimes you have to go patrolling a wee bit - but generally if you can't find targets in some part of the ocean just stuff your ships back in your pockets and warp to somewhere else in the world, and you'll find something there.

People will say "Darkrunner" or "Daggerspell". These are both very good classes, as described already, and I won't go into much more detail about them.

However, I'd like to bring your attention to a third oft-neglected class, "Shroudmaster", which is Shadowplay/Witchcraft/Occultism. The class initially appears to have basically zero dps combos between its trees, "oh god it sucks why would you ever play this class". What it does have is both Occultism and Witchcraft, and that's all it NEEDS to have to be the biggest rear end in a top hat on the open sea.

Let me break down the Shroudmaster's "rotation". You perch on top of your clipper's harpoon as it approaches the target. At 20 meters, you jump to clear the railing's LOS and then Shadowstep on board the enemy ship. Instantly you pop Banshee's Wail, which knocks everyone in a large radius around you completely out of the fight for 7 seconds with a combination of fear and stun. Some people will attempt to CC break out of this, so you instantly mash "Stillness", an AOE silence. Someone might be melee AND have a CC break against fear, so you might Purge out on someone who looks funny at you, shackling him (silence for physical abilities). Banshee's Wail is running out of time, but you still have a couple GCDs before it fully wears off, so you Bubble Trap some likely looking target to send him flying backward off the boat and Insidious Whisper another guy to send him running around in a panic as well. Maybe Focal Concussion a particularly persistent guy, I dunno.

By this time people will be coming out of their stuns, so you cast Hell Spikes to keep them stuck in place for another couple of seconds. Identify people who are right next to railings, and then Dahuta's Breath and Mana Force them to go full Leonidas mode and THIS IS SPARTA them into the water. By this time your own crew should be coming aboard and assisting you, so now you can use your Enervate/Earthen Grip combo to deal some damage and heal up, as well as Telekinesis the most dangerous looking motherfucker on their boat and laugh at him as he remains stuck floating in midair for an entire 12 seconds. No, he doesn't have a CC break for that big TK because he blew it already when you initially landed, only to get drowned in more CC.

Oh, and at this point your CDs are coming back. Go back to step 1 and Banshee's Wail anyone who hasn't been feared already to keep them out of the fight while your crew starts grinding up the people you first entangled.

As for defending a ship, Shroudmasters counter Banshee's Wail because they're one of the few classes who have the gall to pack Stillness in their toolkit, because apparently no one takes Occultism. When someone else leaps aboard your ship and hits Banshee's Wail to fear you, you pop Stillness while they're still on GCD to break your fear and silence them to end their own CC chain. Given that there are literally no CC breaks that handle Silence, you then have your own window of opportunity to deal with the cheeky oval office. I prefer Telekinesis to pin him in place while your crew recovers and then angrily rips him limb from limb, although literally anything else in your kit will suffice.

I highly recommend Shroudmaster to newbies because while Darkrunners and Daggerspells really need good weapons to do their "jobs", Shroudmaster can almost entirely be done naked without a weapon. Everything they do is based on their CC - you're merely 90% as effective in the nude than in the best gear in the game. Tough armor does help and a high damage weapon will give you a bigger heal on your Earthen Grip combo and somewhat more damage on your Hell Spikes and Dahuta's Breath, but it's not needed. If you can ninjawarp onto an enemy ship and pop Banshee's Wail and at least one other ability before you die, you've probably done more than you need to to help win the battle.

I liked going Tombcaller or whatever it's called, which just subs the shadowplay for songcraft. It let me infinitely CC people and that made it rad.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

Lots of people don't seem to realize that the reason goons are 'so much better' than pubbies in most of these games is that goons usually communicate and work together to a certain extent.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

I was under the impression that ArcheAge is a game where if you just work together and have enough CC you can kill anyone because 90% of the game is landing CC so all the spergs probably burnt out and had an existential crises when they realized all the number crunching in the world couldn't outdo a league of scrub characters with chain style kung-fu league of characters with witchcraft and occultism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Fishing in real life is really relaxing and a great way to spend a day. Fishing in a video game is usually the opposite.

Fishing in Final Fantasy XIV is pretty chill, it's the only time I've seen fishing in an MMO strike that balance between being boring and being stressful.

• Locked thread