Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
That thread really is amazing. I think the stories about huffing freon and not regretting it one bit were a mew low, even for TCC. Then again I didn't read far enough to see if the guy who blacked out and ordered a piano came up yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

You shouldn't get angry at video games.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

In further Archeage related news, the game has received an award as part of Massively's Best of 2014 award series. The award? Biggest Story of the Year! The news is not as good as it sounds though.

Massively's Jeff Rehard posted:

There are probably bigger stories in terms of hits but for me the biggest story is the horror show that is ArcheAge. At this point it's like a case study in how to destroy an MMORPG, and while it's heartbreaking that it's happened to such a feature-rich and full-of-potential game, I can't look away from the dumpster fire. There's a new indignity every week -- sometimes every couple of days -- whereas most MMO-related stories make headlines for a day or two and then flame out. Not AA, though; the tragicomedy just keeps on coming.

You heard it here first folks! AA is the #1 MMO dumpster fire of the year!

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/12/09/massivelys-best-of-2014-awards-biggest-story-of-the-year/

DapperDraculaDeer fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 10, 2014

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Massively is kind of odd. Its columnists who write about a specific game actually play the game they cover so their reporting is universally favorable. I really dont know if it is fair to expect anything more since those columnists are probably paid next to nothing so they are playing/writing because they actually enjoy the game.

The news coverage on Massively on the other hand is actually ok as far as gaming news sites goes. Their tone is generally optimistic, but they do report on how badly MMO are doing. In one recent example they reported on how poor Wildstar's developer, Carbine is rated by employees on Glassdoor.com. Still, for one of Massively's people to describe a game as a "dumpster fire" is not normal.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

A Christmas promotion usually involves a sale. Something tells me after the recent "gift" as an apology for the down time Trion has no interest in giving out any further discounts. They are probably also trying to just keep their heads down and not draw any further attention to the game for now. There has been a lot of incredibly negative publicity lately.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

You should give Warframe a shot.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

There are a lot of great freakouts in that video, but I think the one at 6:45 is my favorite.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Eonwe posted:

its a reddit/SA EVE meetup

apparently another one is happening also in a suburb of Dallas, so BFM might also be attending that one

When/where is this?

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Fuzzy's is pretty bad, really. lovely white people tacos that you can find in Milwaukee as well as Texas. I still mourn the loss of Taqueria el Fuego.

I might still stop by for that Eve meetup, just because I am curious how awkward one of those must be.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Trion developed a very positive reputation due to their handling of Rift. They were very responsive to player needs during the early days of the game and earned a lot of good will because of that. Since then though, they have had a very poor track record. Games like Defiance, which had a lot of potential, have been left to wither on the vine for no apparent reason. From what I've heard Rift's cash shop is an utter mess.

Basically, Trion has been coasting on all that good will they built up during the early days of Rift. They have been a lovely MMO company for quite a while now.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

No, I think the Goon guild implosion in Archeage was noteworthy for a variety of reasons.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

No.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

I doubt the gambling addicts who spend hundreds of dollars on loot boxes hoping for a dolphin are going to stop now. They will complain loudly and throw a fit, but then Trion will add some other shiny thing for them to throw money at.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Eonwe posted:

i actually reported it an hour ago and asked it be locked, lmfao

Why would you do that now? A pubbie is literally threatening to take legal action against a Goon over this lovely loving game. And we are not talking about taking him to the lovely trial channel in game here, either.

The drama this game somehow continues to churn out is just incredible.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

most definitely for sure

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

this is the best thread ever

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

the best part is that the moron is winning

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Eonwe posted:

remember when kimsemus went and pvped in an open PvP zone against reds and then dabigredboat and other EVE SUPREME GENERAL SHITLORD players went and got him kicked from the EVE corp and from Star Citizen because :siren: FISHING PACTS :siren:

lol

His constant complaining about getting kicked out of a guild in a game that doesn't even exist was pretty funny too.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Byolante posted:

I played at 2.0 release then came back in 2.4 and spent an honest to go month working my way through a backlog of stuff everyone else had already done to death and wanted no part of to catch up to what everyone else was doing.

My experience with FFXIV was pretty similar. I played during 2.0 and resubbed for 3.0. All of the 3.0 content was gated behind something like 40+ hours of story quests. Often times the story quests consist of little more than talking to someone in one town then going to another town to talk to someone else and other really lovely fetch quests. It was made worse because very few people were doing that content. It was a tedious slog. Since I really enjoyed FFXIV I went ahead and got through it, but by the time I finished all that garbage I had absolutely lost all interest in the game. It was bad, really bad.

I think most of the people who defend the gated content system have been playing fairly consistently so they dont know just how detrimental it is for new and returning players to log in and have to slog through days of lovely fetch quests in order to reach a point where you can play with your friends. It is a really poorly designed system that is made worse for new players every time more content is added to the game. So much else of FFXIV is really well designed, I dont understand how the gated content has been allowed to get so bad.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

The problem is all that good content is gated behind the story quest. You literally cant access the good content without doing the bad.

And the fetch quests are more certainly not exclusively side quests. I cant even count the number of times I had to go turn in a quest to Minfilia in The Waking Sands only to be told to go talk to Alphinaud in Ul'dah only to then be sent to talk to some random NPC in another zone. Then Minfilia moves to some other city and the process repeats itself all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, but the problem is you have to do all the content before 3.0 which includes dozens of tedious fetch quests.

The dungeons are the best part of the MSQ too. I dont get why that would be considered a problem.

• Locked thread