Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
heathkit
May 1, 2009
And now the forums are down. This is pretty hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heathkit
May 1, 2009
Well, I'm looking forward to Albion, hopefully the next test in January will be worth it.

Also, I figured I'd use the downtime to check out Landmark - and then promptly uninstalled it.

heathkit
May 1, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

This isn't some big secret that only EVE figured out, they're just the only ones with the balls to do it and the fanbase that will accept it. If anyone else even thinks about doing it then the gaming babbys of the world will let out such wails of agony at the thought of losing something in a video game that Obi Wan Kenobi will think a planet exploded.

This is exactly what happened in Firefall, and it was pretty sad to watch. They had really ambitious plans for the player run economy - but then, they had all kinds of crazy plans. They didn't build item destruction into the design of the game from the beginning, and instead tacked on this clumsy "item decay" feature during the beta. And of course, everyone went apeshit about losing their purples, and a few months later they dropped the idea.

I'm hopeful that someday there'll be an MMO with a real economy out there other than Eve, but I see why it hasn't happened yet. People are idiots.

• Locked thread