Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
trion can't do poo poo so that's really pointless

xlgames just farts off a patch to them and they implement it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
someone make a tale in the desert with cute korean elf men

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
tokens are the new fish

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

InternetJunky posted:

Getting back to sieges...

From what I have read, across all servers, not even a single wall was destroyed anywhere.

I mean WAR kinda boggled keep sieges but not that bad.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Are the MMOs really that much worse or are our standards much higher? Makes you think.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Hellgate was actually pretty fun but people love to poo poo on it for no reason. It was Diablo with guns online and that's not a bad platform at all. A proto borderlands really it shared a lot of similarities with Phantasy Star Online in terms of hubs and instancing. Most of the polish issues were solved when it was bought by hanbitsoft. Also you're misremembering what graphics looked like in 1998.

That said Bill Roper went completely senile after working on Diablo II.

e: Someone needs to buy tabula rasa and re-release it as an F2P cash in but it might be is in copyright hell.

lmao

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 29, 2014

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Fauxtool posted:

this game is good in the same way age of conan was good. Very ambitious but poorly executed.

0/10 can't kick people off bridges with my horse

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
that's a lot of words to say anime games emulate gambling addictions

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

himurak posted:

when you do things in life it is unlikely that you are the strongest, smartest, fastest, etc. at whatever you're doing.

Most of the entire point of video games is to transcend real life experiences and in that space balanced games can be created.

You're just yet another person who has the time/will to invest way too much into a video game and as a result enjoy a position of power within it. People will always favor the system providing them with the most power or advantage.

MMOs are designed from the ground up to not be balanced as it's the core business model the game relies on.

himurak posted:

then maybe mmo's aren't your cup of tea.

or maybe the genre doesn't cater enough to different types of players

"If you don't like X, just don't play it" is the most hackneyed and dumb argument I've seen to defend the gaping flaws that crop up in every MMO ever made. It's not like we're talking about a few games that meet a niche, it's every single one doing the same thing. MOBAs are pretty dumb but I've been playing them lately because you can log on and instantly be in a balanced match. Until MMOs can do the same thing they should be on the back burner for most people. It's been proven well at this point lateral progression can be monetized successfully but no MMO has the balls to do it.

Remember it took an independent map maker for Starcraft creating Aeon of Strife for the battle arena genre to even gain traction. Even the most indie of MMOs feature linear progression steeper than most AAA MMOs at this point.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 12, 2014

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Balanced in terms of numbers.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Gashapon (RNG boxes) are insanely lucrative because of the gambling addiction inside so many consumers. Any F2P MMO without them is insane.

• Locked thread