Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

Widestancer posted:

Videogames, including Archeage, are fun with friends.

Playing MMOs with friends can be like renting an apartment: Weaker friendships with weirdos will dissolve into vicious yet petty fighting over fish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.
:keke: Oh, hey, a ton of new Archeage posts, wonder what kind of stuff people are planning for the weeken-

... ...

lewtt posted:

If you are still endlessly arguing or witch hunting after a month about awfully stupid poo poo a dumb guy did to a clueless teenager on the internet years ago while alienating/kicking/arguing with people who vocalize not caring about some random goon, it's bordering saying as much about you as it is BFM's said mindfucking of icelandic teen

But I guess calling people out on obsessive tirades over month-old/years-old spilled milk classifies me as a pedo apologist

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Charles Bukowski posted:

I've been playing games with goons since 2003, this has definitely been the most anger and drama I've seen so far. I didn't play Darkfall though, I hear that one wasn't pleasant either.

With an increase in goons, a lot of us lose that "tight-knit" feel we used to feel in goon guilds. Maybe it was just me though. I have noticed in a few games that people that ran poo poo in other games would come into a new game with a sort of expectation that the pecking order would remain the same. I frankly couldn't care less who "runs" poo poo, as long as people are having fun and we're creating content for one another. Maybe that isn't the reason for drama here either.

I think its a few different things maybe. As the average goon is getting older, we have full time jobs and responsibilities, and choosing to use AA to take up our free time is an investment. If people are causing your investment of time to not be worthwhile, I expect people to leave or go with other likeminded's to achieve whatever it is they're looking to get out of the game. Some people don't have the patience to deal with others.

It could be the increasing hostility I see on the internet in general these days, zero empathy and echo chambers. Could be the young vs the old. The casuals vs the tryhards. Blacks and whites. Jews and gentiles. Christians and atheists. It could be a lot of things.

I agree with a lot of these points, especially speculation about an overall attitude shift on the internet, but maybe that's just the coloring of old-tinted glasses looking back on the Golden Age when petty nerd drama was fresher, funnier, and being hashed up the first time around which made it seem fresher, funnier, and less like a tired internet meme/trope/honkhonk-whatever. It is nice that there are still people welcoming new players and finding enjoyment in the game.

Charles Bukowski posted:

Having given it some thought, I know why everyone was angry and Goon Squad imploded. The answer is fishing.

• Locked thread