Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

ruffz posted:

I knew Wildstar and AoC were garbage before they came out. WAR had an incredible amount of potential but server instability killed it. ArcheAge really looked like the next big thing, I'll admit I got fooled.

I had no interaction with AoC until release. Then natural caution with mmos kept me away from life time subscription and other such madness, but I was still suckered by the first 20 levels. Everything looked really good at first. Took awhile for the poo poo to show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

CompeAnansi posted:

The thing that kills me about this terrible game is that even though it was terrible it still had some neat ideas that i'd really like to see get picked up by less terrible developers. The way the economy was set up was really interesting and forced people to take risks to make money via trade packs.

Of course some of those risks were 'Gee I hope I can stay connected the entire time because if I get disconnected, at all, in a non-PvP zone I'm totally hosed with no recourse'.

That one's not exactly good game play. Especially in a game that had Hackshield in it, something that's about as stable as a sovereign citizen in the middle of a cocaine-fueled bender riding a pogo stick.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Truga posted:

All I heard about RIFT was that it went from fairly decent to quite good when they did the f2p transition...

... And from there spiralled into poo poo fairly quickly.

Rift is what made me think Trion was worth trusting, because it was pretty fun for awhile. Then I dunno wtf happened at Trion but now they have the Midas touch of poo poo.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Did it start that way from day one? Rift was really enjoyable for awhile there, I'd be mildly surprised if the initial time period came from a lovely environment.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Some people enjoy nailing their scrotums to boards too, just sayin'.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Eonwe posted:

is there anyone here actually mad about archeage or just here to beat a long dead horse like me

That's an............interesting...........avatar you have. Sounds like story time.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

DancingShade posted:

Even if they didn't have server issues (first time for everything right?) botters would still grab all the land.

People never learn.

Quick reminder, AA was having a problem with people using automated memory-hooked scripts to send the "i claimed this piece of land" packet before the collapsing houses we're even rendered on clients, responding instead to the packet itself and cutting human reaction time out of the equation entirely. Their response? Face palming incompetence of course. See they we're publisher not developer, they couldn't rework the client in any way at all. So they put in a server side check (the only server side check for anything at all I ever heard of) to stop humans from spam clicking the claim button by denying attempts that happen within five se ones of the last one. Memory scripts were the issue, so they put in a spam filter to deny actual people a.chance.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

jabro posted:

That's because they weren't able to before. It even says it in the post.

They can do rollbacks now? Wow they're throwing good furniture in the dumpster fire now. Progress!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Truga posted:

I'm actually shocked Trion didn't gently caress this up completely. I guess even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Oh let's not be too hasty. They have already hosed it up. They've just developed the technology of the 'undo' button after what, two years?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

effectual posted:

it's pretty boring unless you're real high.

I'm curious which definition of this phrase you had in mind?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Zizi posted:

Somehow I forgot that when they decided to "sanitize" the Elin, they almost made it worse by changing the creepy string-and-postage-stamp lingerie to stuff that's barely less-sexualized but also looks even more halfassed, on top of them being creepy pedo fapbait in either version.

The ears are just one more step to being hosed up. Not enough being creepy pedo-bait, it has to be creepy furry pedo-bait.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Still laughing at the thunderstruck-pocalypse that got so many people butthurt about losing their hoarded pixels of wealth. Logging on that day and watching the price plummet in trade chat was hilarious.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Finndo posted:

I let patron expire and went away for a week and think I'm going to take a break. The question is, what else is worth playing right now? If it's pay to alpha or whatever I don't mind, I just want whatever is fun and good now.

Albion Online should hopefully open up for beta soon. That was a bunch of fun. Until then I've been playing Robocraft. Think internet Lego building, but then you strap guns to your Lego machine and blow all the wheels and guns off the other guy's Lego machine and do a doughnut around his mangled heap before he gives up and respawns.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Holyshoot posted:

Pretty sure pocos bill is just trying to bait someone with all his posts that he's super into archeage. And same with responding to your "casual" comment with the typical "I've had sex nerd virgin". :shrug:

...but then you would be, I dunno, "Ironically" (?) claiming to be playing one of the worst dumpster fires of a game to happen in a few years.

That may be the only thing that is possibly sadder than actually playing one of the worst dumpster fires of a game to happen in a few years.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

DancingShade posted:

and play "who swiped the credit card the most" in PVP

You almost have to experience the game to know how true this is. Not that I recommend doing so because ArcheAge, but if you spend enough cash on the game you're simply in another league of stats on your character. Until you fight someone else who swiped their credit card the game just becomes point-and-click death for anyone else. Three or four seconds of stunlocking and a regular player is dead while half a raid of them might be able to start to put together enough damage that you'll have to use(spend more cash on) consumable heals before you kill them all.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

ruffz posted:

I haven't bought into the beta yet, and there's 1000 unread posts in the thread since I looked at it last. What are people bitching about?

Albion tries to pass itself off as the next UO/Eve then does everything possible to shove a loving MOBA down your throat. PvP with too many people and poo poo starts happening like your precise, real-time position showing up on the map down to individual icons for each person, targets getting upwards of 50% damage mitigation before defenses, enemy spells doing enough additional damage granted to them by the server to one shot every last person in an AoE spell radius.

Then territory is hard coded by game mechanics to only ever allow 5 people MOBA matches to determine victory. Every single other person in entire alliances does nothing but farm and donate resources then check the sports page the next day to see if their team won and they keep their territory.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
It can't be stressed exactly how bad the cheating in this game was. Through incomprehensible feats of stupidity during development of this game drat near everything is completely client side. I'm not kidding, just about everything. Did you hit that guy or not? Client side. Did he hit you? How many hit points do you have? Do you take any damage, ever? Do you have the supposedly GM-only invincibility buff, or indeed any buff in the game that you want? Client side. What is this "sanity check" thing you talk about in programming? gently caress it, sounds useless, go ahead and let the client determine where you are from any given second to another and if the distance between them is 2/3 of the world, gently caress it, client side.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Trion posted:

ArcheAge has an automated schedule of in-game events that spans a 9-hour window. Due to the game defaulting to a single time zone within the game’s core programming, the event times had to drastically compromise. This meant 50% of that 9-hour window happened too early for North American prime time and too late for European players.

Three years to fix an automated scheduler. Sums up Archeage pretty well to me.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

I said come in! posted:

I just hit level 50 but I am not sure where I am suppose to go now?

Into the corner where you can quietly cry as you contemplate the decisions in your life that led you to play this game after it has been very thoroughly exposed as A Bad Game.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
How is gear score calculated in this game, is it in dollars or euros?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Game is still, and will always be, a hack laden gently caress fest. There's just no way to secure a game when player HP, position, buffs and on and on are handled client side and it's coded right into the game that way, never to be changed.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Morglon posted:

And completely killed their reputation. I mean to the point where they hired a guy to patrol the Steam forums telling people that they know they hosed them over but honestly this time you can totally trust them and that guy getting shat on by pretty much everybody except one or two idiots. Can't imagine that all the whales have run off but they seem desperate nonetheless.

I'd say it was the one-two combination of making GBS threads all over Rift then getting into Archeage. They had a good thing going in the beginning of Rift but that led to a lot of bad feelings when they hosed everything up so bad.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Is hacking still childishly easy to do and impossible to detect because every, single, last, thing, is client side or did they completely rewrite their client and server and netcode?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

A Spider Covets posted:

The forums have been amazing lol

merry Christmas to you too! While I was watching the poo poo show I played some Rimworld and my favorite colonist ate all the others. What a pleasant game for the season

I'm playing right now in an extreme desert. I think I found enough soil that we're done putting raiders into the freezer then the nutrient paste dispenser but even when the colonists are done with them I started with a warg and, well, gotta eat ya know? Why use up the scarce not-people meat I get on a pet?

...I'm still taking a kidney and lung from every one of them and I treasure my human leather comfy chair.

fake edit: Oh yeah, Archeage thread. Umm, Archeage is terrible and you're terrible people for playing it that's my story bye.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Eltoasto posted:

Rimworld owns

I just had a small army of mechanoids raid me and I think it may lead to the slow decline and eventual death of my colony. In the chaos I'm still not sure exactly what happened but 3 settlers got either blown up so hard or they burned or something that they didn't even leave bodies for me to bury and I lost all their gear (two charge rifles, fffff). One person actually did leave a corpse to bury but now I'm out a skilled crafter, cook and animal tender with mediocre replacements for most of them. My crafter can't make components to rebuild all the turrets yet and my cook is making basic meals so no mood bonuses and two of my remaining colonists are having mental breaks like every day since their husband and wife were killed so they'll wander around naked in the extreme desert until they collapse or just start setting everything on fire.

Still have my human leather comfy chair though god dammit.

Archeage Sucks.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Rimworld update: Today was finals so I haven't played much since the last time but I might actually pull through with this colony. At one point, of the remaining six colonists, two had the plague including my doctor and my backup doctor/backup chef-in-training had muscle parasites. I think a raid at this time would have killed me off but there were none until I managed to buy a slave and pull someone from an earlier raid out of a cryo-chamber and press-gang recruit them into helping, then I managed to capture a raider with high ballistic skill to replace my original construction/shooter that lost an arm to some bullshit with a granite dead fall trap and an eye to scythers. Turrets are re-built, colony population is back up, human leather comfy chair still present.

Archeage still sucks.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
And dignity. Playing Archeage costs your dignity.

In Rimworld news they put out a patch that changed a bunch of stuff so old saves don't work. Had to start over so lost the human leather comfy chair. Now you can migrate from one map to another or counter raid the pirate bases on a world screen. I moved when toxic fallout made one map a barren waste land for almost two seasons. The entire caravan was slowed down by "Stumpy", my pawn that has one peg leg torn off by a pack of wargs and a cyber leg from getting another shot off.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Anybody playing this game gets exactly what they deserve, playing this game.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

taels posted:

because that OP is confusing.

It might be trying to tell you something other than where the goons are.

It's telling you this game is bad. It's bad OK? Bad

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
How dead is this game now? It's impressive how much Trion hosed up after the good will they had from Rift's first year-ish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
This is still a bad game.

• Locked thread