Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
Pardon the interruption with a quick game question... is there any benefit to auroria property at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
If any of you leaving/sad people want to dump some Aranzeb coastal property on me ... especially in Villanelle... lmk!

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
Reading this thread and all the other stuff, I still have no real idea what all the drama was about, but it looks like I should be drat glad I didn't funnel anything of value to anyone coordinating Big Guild Things.

And here's a good place to give a shout out to Archeage's "family" mechanic. In fact I think they should be more flexible about it, allowing multiple families and more members than 8 (or maybe allowing every character on an account to join but only count for one).

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
Would anyone like to buy a cottage in Mahadevi, north of City of Towers?

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
This game has made me interested in giving Darkfall another go.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
Well first off, Darkfall was made by PVP gamers from Asheron's Call Darktide and UO. It was a labor of love and I've always rooted for them. It's like EVE in that I always wanted to like it but just didn't much enjoy the gameplay. But hell, may as well give it another shot, maybe they've fixed the things I didn't like, or maybe my tastes have changed.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
I suspect their network guy shut off his phone. That is what they are investigating -- how to get a hold of him.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
My sense is that at this point what they are waiting for is not new information, but authorization from a higher paygrade to say what is really going on. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the game is toast, corrupt data with no backup or something like that. I doubt it, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
This does seem pretty epic. The last update was at 4 a.m. Pacific. It's now almost 11 a.m. on Monday, not a peep, and the community manager isn't online. I wonder if he browalked his rear end right of there.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
If Trion's collective screwing-over of all of us isn't enough to reunite the goon splinters, what is?

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
PS -- They said the timers are still counting down. If the servers ever DO come back up, there will be a hell of a land rush opportunity.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
Moving from one game to the next is always challenging for a guild, because the things that unified that guild in the last usually don't apply in the new game. Here, you had a random collection of goons coming from a number of different games, without any consensus regarding goals or what they wanted in a guild, and a starting leadership team that never earned the players' trust and that didn't really seem to care about doing a good job of leading. With the benefit of hindsight, it's pretty clear to me that collapse was inevitable.

The only way I could see goons "reunifying" is if someone emerges as the right leader for this game, and attracts people organically into essentially a new goon guild. This assumes that people don't just give up on the game altogether, which is a real possibility. I could definitely see it happening, if the game survives.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
Looking to sell a group of three 16x16 farms in North Two Crowns, near the coast and spec bench. Shoot me a PM if interested.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
It would be nice to have an actual thread to discuss the game, among those who still play it, without each legit post being separated by few dozen zero-content, "this game sucks which is why I quit weeks ago and people who are still having fun are wrong" posts. Maybe it's just a few people still playing but that wouldn't distinguish it from many other threads in the HMO.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
Just post? Okay -- I'm still trying to sell a group of 3 farms in North Two Crowns, close to the beach and spec benches (about halfway between each). Two are connected in a sort of "L" shape and the third is a plot or two away. Post or PM if interested. Thanks.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
I'm not sure about the lag from EU but I regularly play with an Aussie who seems to do okay.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
Bukowski called it right. There's a variation of the old saying, "I drink to make others more interesting," and it goes, "I don't set land to guild to make guildies more honest."

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.

CrusherEAGLE posted:

So i want to try this game but I've heard a couple of bad things about it. What are those bad things, do they matter, and is this a game worth trying out?

This game is a lot of fun, with a lot to offer. It has actually gotten more enjoyable now that the angry tryhards who flamed out in the first month or so have moved on. The server is still pretty busy but not overbusy, which makes the farming-trading side of things more accessible than it used to be.

A lot of things that people are complaining about on this thread (like the deflation of the "thunderstruck tree" market) were pretty good from a lot of peoples' perspective.

It's not all wine and roses. There are still hacks and exploits, and I really don't like the customer service support, but overall the game is worth giving a shot.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
Someone will always make money selling in-game items and/or currency. The question is, should it be shady gold sellers running sweatshops or hacks or credit card scams, or the company that publishes the game? I prefer it to be the latter, especially if the game itself doesn't cost a lot.

Should those cash-shop items be purely cosmetic, or should they actually be useful? I prefer that they be useful, so long as they are not game-breaking. Narrowing the gap between people who treat a game as their full-time job, and those who view it more as a form of entertainment and are willing to pay a bit to enjoy it, is not game-breaking. This is especially true when, as you point out, basically every cash-shop item can be purchased from others in-game using gold.

I do agree that it is likely that we will see additional cash-shop items appear to offer alternatives to things that are selling for thousands of gold in game. Following that reasoning, the next thing would probably be car plans or maybe a ship upgrade. (Not sure if this is pre-ordained or not by the versions of the game that are being rolled out over time.)

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.

Eonwe posted:

it doesnt change the fact that its still a cash grab where people have to pay trion money for people to access a 6 slot cart, which is not trivial

Who says cash shop items need to be trivial?

Why would they need to be trivial?

What's wrong with a for-profit company making money?

It's funny that it seems like I am defending Trion because I really dislike the way the company handled this rollout for a lot of reasons, but their cash shop isn't one of them.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.

Chomp8645 posted:

Do subscribers or whatever at least get a stipend of cash shop currency like most F2P MMOs? Because if a subscriber could reasonably get the upgraded cart and some other nice things once in a while without buying any extra currency then that's not so bad. But if a subscriber still has to pony up for the cart upgrade because they don't get a stipend or it would take several months to buy with the stipend then that's horseshit and gently caress KMMOs.

Not sure I follow your reasoning (since anyone can always decide whether it's worth their money to spend on subbing and cash shop items), but the answer to your question is "yes and no."

Subscribers ("patrons") get "Loyalty" points which can be used for certain cash shop items, together with other benefits including increased "labor" and the ability to own land. "Credits" can be bought by anyone, subscribers and non-subscribers alike. In addition, although it got fubared by hacks, you could also purchase credits with in-game gold via something called "APEX." I think that is currently disabled but is supposed to return. Finally, as noted above, most cash-shop items can also be sold or traded in game to other players.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
Some cash shop items are also available in the Loyalty shop. Tax certificates are the most obvious ones (you use these to pay taxes on land you own). If you play every day you can get 200 tax certs a month from Loyalty. The only difference between them and cash-shop tax certs are that the ones bought with Loyalty are not-tradeable. You can get 200 tax certs this way every month, which would cost you 900 credits (cash shop currency) or approximately 200 gold to buy them yourself (or spending labor in game to make them yourself, which is hugely inefficient).

You can also use them to buy workers' compensation potions (which restore labor, something you need to perform basically every trade-related function.) Most people don't use loyalty for this because the cost-benefit isn't the same.

You can also get boxes that give random items. Plus a smattering of fluffy, cosmetic stuff, and maybe another useful item or two. But almost everyone I know uses them for tax certs.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.

ScorpioMajesty posted:

Also I don't know why the people who obviously hate this game are trying so hard to make the people who like this game miserable and I don't know why the people who like this game feel like they need to defend the games honor from the people who just want to stay in the thread to poo poo on its chest.

I agree with you on the first point. For the second point, it looked like there was an actual potential new player and he was being given completely skewed, negative information from the people in the first category. That's why I posted, anyway -- I'd like to see new players come into the game.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
Could someone explain the whole Forestcrow thing? My assumption was it was some sort of faux-clever goon plan to create a fake enemy guild.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
Not sure if anyone has linked this yet, apparently video of 1.7 from the Korean version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMB5obcPL0Q

Edit: I guess it's a tutorial, with some game footage and some cutscenes? Not sure.

Finndo fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 11, 2014

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
By the way Bukowski, people are now essentially able to charge for labor. (E.g. by trading 100 lumber for 400 logs or whatever.) You got your wish!

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
If you think the game and thread are dead, maybe it's time to move on? "D e a d g a m e" is as boring here as it is on faction chat.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
I'm not sure the correct response to this inquiry.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
There are also goons in Wicked.

I'm in a family (sort of a miniguild) with goons in both guilds. We may be breaking rules of some sort but who cares, really.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
Part of the trick is going almost over the line... it feels like only the dots mark the edge of both your plant and the farm borders, not the arc or line between the dots. You really have to slowly move until the instant it turns green, then place.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.

Kevlar Beard posted:

I'm just not sure what's stopping me in terms of like pirates, monsters, etc.

Pirates. Monsters.

If you are 50, the monsters (jellyfish which shoot goop at you and seabugs which jump on your ship and chew up lowbies) aren't really an issue. Pirates will be an issue at any level. Most people do trade runs at off-hours to minimize risk.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
Sounds like a nerdy teenage boy whose voice hasn't fully changed using a filter.

By the way I'm trying to sell or trade Breezy Bungalow/Marine House plans. Looking for gold or merch boat plans (with extra gold from me). These things are great (huge 24x24 aquafarm that you can easily access, pack storage, easy to load from), but I don't really need two. There are still spots open in pretty much every zone; I will show you where. Let me know if interested.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.

InternetJunky posted:

New patch going out. I noticed this gem

As someone who owns farms all over, some specifically for the logistical advantage of being able to port close to a workbench, this is a really crappy change. I understand the change related to owner changes, but why do this for people who built a cottage, saved the teleport location, then replaced the property with a farm?

Yeah... a lot of people have spread out properties for staging purposes also. It is an annoying change, although I am guessing it was never intended for a port to outlast the house. I can see why they don't want this. For example, what if your farm went delinquent and then someone else built a cottage there. You could port right in, and they couldn't block you buy changing permissions on the house.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.

Angela Christine posted:

And then . . . ? You can't actually do anything to their house. Okay you could summon a cow and make it poop, I guess. Open a portal to their house, jump through with a bunch of your friends, and then murder each other so when they get home their house is full of bloodstains.

Eh... you can get into their house. They are supposed to be able to control access.

Plus you are getting a benefit they didn't really intend -- I think the idea is that you are supposed to make choices between different designs depending on your needs. If you want a bed for labor, "shelter" (there is modest pvp defense), and a port, get a house. If you want to grow something, get a farm.

There's no right or wrong answer here, I'm just trying to guess at what their intentions were originally, and how this was probably a bug that they are just now getting around to fix. Which once again shows how poorly run the company is -- fixing a bug that by now everyone essentially considers a feature.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.

nelson posted:

You can still find free safe 8x8 and unsafe 16x16 plots on low population servers. Plus land prices are falling due to the "new shiny" factor wearing off and people moving on to other games. Really it has never been a better time to find land as a casual/late player.

On Aranzeb, you can get a farm in a safe zone for 400-500 gold, less for a demo plot. (Some guy was selling plots in Two Crowns, Solz and Lilyut for 250g apiece yesterday.)

Supposedly today's patch implemented a 5 second delay on clicks to place land, that may also give you a shot against the script kiddies for buildings that are demo-ing due to nonpayment of taxes.

If you paid $150 for beta access and haven't yet played in retail/release, that means you are sitting on roughly 11k in cash shop credits, which you can use to buy items to sell in game. You could easily get 1k+ gold from those items, just do a bit of research on selling prices.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
If anyone is quitting and is in the xmas spirit, I'll gladly give you the gift of feeling good about yourself for giving your stuff away.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
Something has led to insane price inflation over the past week or so, in general but especially for credit shop items. WC pots are going for 50-60g for example. Either there is a huge new supply of gold or maybe people have just burned through all their original credits and aren't buying more.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.

SumYungGui posted:

I have to do some number crunching but it may soon get to where it's cheaper to APEX another account and let the labor accumulate then make tax certs.

Labor and Loyalty -- but the certs resulting from those methods are bound though, so that plan only makes sense if you have a lot of properties that you plan to split between the accounts.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
Loyalty are bound too. Only cash shop certs are unbound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.

Kevlar Beard posted:

I picked up my hauler this morning; what should I save up for now? I've got about 3 weeks left on my patron, and as far as land goes I have an 8x8 and a 16x16 with a farmer's workstation in TC.

Should I go for another 16x16 closer to gweo for staging packs?

Maybe in Gweo or Hellswamp, for staging/larders.

Merchant schooner after hauler IMO.

• Locked thread