Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
literally lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

this is some good poo poo and will redeem al borlands posting in my eyes

i think it's already helped :)

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Al Borland posted:

I just finished the first Harry Potter Book Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone I had never read the series so when I my mom had a copy sitting around when I was visiting I figured, "Why not?"

The book isn't bad honestly. I enjoyed this kind of stuff as a kid. I was a big fan of the black cauldron series, Narnia, and other fantasy novels for children so I ate it up. I finished the book in one day. There were a few things I didn't get with it. I'll spoilers it in case people haven't read it. the whole professor having Voldemort on the back of his head inside the turbin It felt really awkward and I couldn't help but wonder, what if he had to sneeze? Or what if it was really stuff in there and he couldn't breathe properly? I know we're dealing with a land of magic and wizards, but it still bugged me. Oh well still a good book, and it is aimed at kids so I can't really fault it for that!

On the trip back I picked up some crap from the bargain bin at half priced books and a copy of Ulysses.

I picked up the spider man movie novelization as a bit of a self masochistic pleasure to myself. Needless to say it was worse than the movie. The movie was alright but reading the book felt like a really dry format. They didn't do a good enough job bringing out the character of Norman Osborn very well. The struggle between sane and the green goblin really lacked. They could have done it better but at 50 cents I really wasn't expecting much from it.

Also they really brushed over the death of Peter's uncle. The main part that made Peter Parker what he was was brushed over. I mean seriously? The whole criminal getting away, peter's uncle dying, and the capture of the criminal couldn't have been more than two pages.

Still in the end given the prompt the writer had to work with and basing it off of a movie. I'd imagine not much creativity of desire was sparked by the authors in doing it. I can't honestly blame them as it isn't their own personal work they're trying to carry over.

Ulysses was definitely the more enjoyable of the reads. I don't think the Spiderman novel kept my attention at all and honestly I skipped through it rather quickly on the train back home.

Ulysses was definitely more of a challenge. Having read Homer's Odyssey I was able to somewhat the parallels between the two. I will admit the book was a bit of a pain to keep track of everything going on. It definitely was chaotic. However, I did my best to not search for any super deep meanings and tried my best to enjoy it so the book went a lot smoother for me.

The several protagonists was a bit of a surprise to me at the start but as the book progressed I began to expect it after every few chapters. I was definitely more fond of Bloom than Dedalus as far as the two went. I guess I was able to identify with him easier than the mopey poetry writer that Dedalus tended to be starting out. The book was okay overall, but I think if I"m being honest with myself I enjoyed Harry Potter a little more! (Sorry James Joyce!) It wasn't a bad book by any means but it wasn't my cup of tea. I was expecting something a little different going in.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
if any gbs poster reveals the will not secret, can they please catch a ban? cheerleading shouldn't count

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Challenge Al Borland to make 1 good post as the 4th challenge and then ban him

like ban him immediately after issuing the challenge because it's impossible or actually give him a shot? either way, lol

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
al borland's self-exile is his last step to martyrdom. god be we ye, al.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

ThePutty posted:

what if he gives you his old avatar and name and passes the title of al borland onto to you

then franco can't post until february. everybody wins!

• Locked thread