Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Tatum Girlparts posted:

This is a good thing for the world, on the whole.

It's basically the best representation of the horror of war any media has done yet.
Ty The Immortal covered wars. All of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

why is this game good to buy. please pitch it for me.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

BKPR posted:

fire emblem with free romaing 3rd person shooter mechanics and its by the dudes who made skies of arcadia and has a neat graphical style that makes it look like a watercolor drawing

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Cyra posted:

fire emblem with free romaing 3rd person shooter mechanics and its by the dudes who made skies of arcadia and has a neat graphical style that makes it look like a watercolor drawing

That, plus shooting anime nazis.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

and anime anti-semitism

Anny-Mouse
Mar 1, 2008

Not only are your breasts flat, but you're also boring.

Cyra posted:

very good

I'm impressed but not surprised.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
It's a cool game but dumb that your mission performance is only related to how fast you beat the mission and not how many people you kill or how much damage your anime dudes and ladies take.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I think the real problem is that once you get enough experience under your belt and access to the better weapons Scout is far and away the best class in the game with the machine gunners coming up second. Lancers are basically worthless, snipers are situational, and the Tank is extremely OP solely because of the smoke rounds.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
scouts only become OP once you get the order that increases damage against tanks, which is random

before that you can't scout rush past tanks and need lancers

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

darealkooky posted:

scouts only become OP once you get the order that increases damage against tanks, which is random

before that you can't scout rush past tanks and need lancers

You're better off getting the machine gunners behind the tank and striking the weak point. They can take down a tank faster than lancers can. It does take some leveling and weapons, though.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

really the problem is with orders since they basically lets scouts do everything. lancers aren't worthless if none of your other infantry can kill tanks

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

really the problem is with orders since they basically lets scouts do everything. lancers aren't worthless if none of your other infantry can kill tanks

True. However, I don't really think you need orders to effectively kill tanks if you're striking their weakpoint. Lancers are pretty limited in scope in terms of what they can accomplish, whereas scouts and machine gunners are able to kill just about anything.

It's not a hard game though and you can pretty easily beat it with whoever you like.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Silver Striker posted:

True. However, I don't really think you need orders to effectively kill tanks if you're striking their weakpoint. Lancers are pretty limited in scope in terms of what they can accomplish, whereas scouts and machine gunners are able to kill just about anything.

It's not a hard game though and you can pretty easily beat it with whoever you like.

i'm pretty sure even shocktroopers can't kill a tank by firing at its radiator without a damage boost

maybe i am wrong though, i dunno. i've always found playing without orders more fun though

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

shocktroopers can only kill crappy baby tanks without orders in a reasonable timeframe

also, you need to get them behind the tank without getting eviscerated, something scouts are way better at with their higher move

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

darealkooky posted:

shocktroopers can only kill crappy baby tanks without orders in a reasonable timeframe

also, you need to get them behind the tank without getting eviscerated, something scouts are way better at with their higher move

I don't remember them being bad at killing tanks without orders. Are you sure about that?

And yeah... I already said scouts were far and away the best class in the game.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

maybe I'm just thinking of the super hard mode dlc where tanks would gently caress you up

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

I can't wait I fricking love this game OP

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

ill buy the selvaria DLC again too if it's not included

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

i hope it sells well and sega ports yakuza 3 and 4 to steam as well.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Ibram Gaunt posted:

i hope it sells well and sega ports yakuza 3 and 4 to steam as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S8I2D0PI5I&t=17s

Mr. Kerstbal
Sep 2, 2011

ORIGINAL MONKEY FUCKER

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

This game owns and sold like poo poo I hope more people play it

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Skies of arcadia is coming to steam! I hope

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Wait Valkyria is am action game? I always thought it was turn based strat so I avoided it

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

ForeverSmug posted:

Wait Valkyria is am action game? I always thought it was turn based strat so I avoided it

it's a TBS, yes, just when you select a unit to give orders to you drop to behind the shoulder to move and aim, with enemy units taking potshots at you as you move

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

it's a turn based strategy but you have to manually move and aim with your characters instead of using them like chess pieces, so it's kinda like worms

this is something you could've found in 10 seconds by going to google

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

BKPR posted:

if you gently caress up enough you can get the 50-something anime soliders on your squad perma-killed and end up having to finish the game with faceless grunts who have bad stats

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

i loved the gameplay but wish the plot was slightly less anime.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
WW2 fought by anime schoolkids with a battle system like hogs of war from ps1. Its a drat good game.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Maybe the modders will be all over it. There is an LP of it.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

darealkooky posted:

it's a turn based strategy but you have to manually move and aim with your characters instead of using them like chess pieces, so it's kinda like worms

this is something you could've found in 10 seconds by going to google

Yeah but I don't care that much

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Wait really if your whole squad dies you get grunts to replace them. I think Fire Emblem games do the same thing sometimes.

It's really hard to lose characters in VC though. If they "die" you have a really generous amount of time to get someone else to go rescue them, I only had 1 die in the whole playthrough because of that weird mission with the giant tank and she died in a place I couldn't get to.

It's not like FE where an unlucky crit means you lost your best guy and have to redo the mission. Except for the tank, if you lose your tank it's game over but it's usually hard to lose your tank

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Wait really if your whole squad dies you get grunts to replace them. I think Fire Emblem games do the same thing sometimes.

It's really hard to lose characters in VC though. If they "die" you have a really generous amount of time to get someone else to go rescue them, I only had 1 die in the whole playthrough because of that weird mission with the giant tank and she died in a place I couldn't get to.

It's not like FE where an unlucky crit means you lost your best guy and have to redo the mission. Except for the tank, if you lose your tank it's game over but it's usually hard to lose your tank

I think the story characters can't actually die, they just "retreat" and then show up again next map or something.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

you also lose soliders if an enemy walks over their body, but the AI doesn't really prioritize that kinda thing

Anny-Mouse
Mar 1, 2008

Not only are your breasts flat, but you're also boring.

Brasseye posted:

Skies of arcadia is coming to steam! I hope

why

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I-Isara-chan... :cry:

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
I will DL and have a look.

Dec 26, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

yeah shadow dragon does that iirc

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Mod it so the MC is the smug commander from General Chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
i literally haven't even thought of this game since i beat it at launch, but do we know if it comes with the dlc and what the price is? might be worth it if it has all the dlc and costs less than it would for me to grab them on ps3. it's like what i did for revengeance, especially if this turns out not to be complete rear end of a port.

• Locked thread