Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Guest posted:

I didn't enjoy valkyria chronicles as much as I could have because the game rates you on how quickly you finish levels so I ended up rushing through levels as quickly as possible.

you might say thats my own fault for letting an arbitrary number affect the way I play a game, but I don't really see your point, sorry.

I would say, the best way to handle it, is to remember that there's a new game+. So just play through the stages however and use the new game+ with your max level units to blitz everything and get A rank every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

Brasseye posted:

thats the one. that mission was really hard

i think everyone gets stopped on that mission lol. the one before it is annoying too at first but mostly because I took the game at its word re: the sniper cliff at first which is a horrible idea

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
yeah thats the level that sticks in my memory because iirc the game is pretty doable up to that point and the kind of war stuff youd expect with tanks, snipers bunkers and so on then all of a sudden theres a tank the size of an airplane hangar coming at you and when you think youve dealt with it the blue haired girl appears and kills you all :(

im going to beat it this time tho

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

that one is a lot easier if you know that scouts grenades one shot the radiators

it tells you to use lancers I think but that takes way longer

Dec 26, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

that one is a lot easier if you know that scouts grenades one shot the radiators

loving hell. thats good to know

wait do scouts have different grenades than the others or something

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

01011001 posted:

loving hell. thats good to know

wait do scouts have different grenades than the others or something

any grenades, but scouts are easiest cause they move far

that only works for the big tank though, not every tank

Dec 26, 2012

gotcha, you just specified and i wasnt sure if there was a reason for it. engineers have second best move and 3 grenades so i might use them in a pinch.

yeah i figured out that it wasnt happening with most tanks by the second mission

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Cheers, this seems to run fine without a GPU. I guess because it looks like an early PS2 game.

Bloody awful English VA though, thank god for Jap voices.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I dunno why the English VAs are so bad. They have Steve loving Blum, Grey DeLisle, Nolan North, and John DiMaggio, and none of them (save for Blum who voices the guy with the second tank you get) voices a main character. Instead, the main characters are voiced by D-List scrubs who've only done VA in Naruto and Bleach.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
John DiMaggio does a funny flamboyant voice for Jann

10/10

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Why is a lieutenant in charge of a squad and not a platoon? Translation error? I mean, you do have access to about 20 or so troops, which is about the right size for one.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

SunAndSpring posted:

Why is a lieutenant in charge of a squad and not a platoon? Translation error? I mean, you do have access to about 20 or so troops, which is about the right size for one.

The developer probably doesnt know the difference or care.

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013

SunAndSpring posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snJXhKzs0bw

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Valkyria Chronicles was a great game and I'm having fun with this launch watching PC gamers encounter a JRPG for the first time.

Dec 26, 2012

its not a jrpg though? like i dont even know what you mean by that in this context

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
It's a Japanese strategy game. So it's XCOM, but occasionally some of the soldiers are 12 years old.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
i'm really looking forward to playing this

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

It's a Japanese strategy game. So it's XCOM, but occasionally some of the soldiers are 12 years old.

Basically this. The story is straight out of a JRPG and somehow people are getting baffled at teenage war heroes, inexplicable superpowers, and beach scenes for the first time.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
it's not as good as XCOM because I haven't had anyone die yet

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

brainwrinkle posted:

it's not as good as XCOM because I haven't had anyone die yet

i sorta wanna play xcom now but i uninstalled it and it's very large

maybe I'll play fire emblem 3ds...

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Nanomashoes posted:

Basically this. The story is straight out of a JRPG and somehow people are getting baffled at teenage war heroes, inexplicable superpowers, and beach scenes for the first time.

I don't really mind the teenaged heroes because it's just one of those cultural difference things, like how Americans wear shoes inside their house all the drat time.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Minrad posted:

maybe you should play a good game instead

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Minrad posted:

I'm not sure what you mean?? X-Com is like 16 or 17 Mb, get the floppies out

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

I'm just gonna kill every enemy on the map while staying under the turn limit for game overs.
rushing your scout unit to capture the enemy flag is stupid, i'd rather grind for that missing experience

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
the teenage characters make more sense when you remember that you're a conscript militia and that welkin only got promoted because he owns a tank. also to be fair I'm pretty sure all the actual main characters are 20 or older, which is like 30 in anime years

anyway now that I've actually had a chance to play this game again, I'm reminded of how much this game owns. I played the psp sequels but both of them were missing something, this game just feels like it was made with love while the sequels were made because the first one made a bunch of money.

using the generic soliders and never leveling up or upgrading my gear has made this game way more difficult, scout rushing is impossible because you can't tank interception fire at all with no armor, no hp and no potentials

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 13, 2014

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

while I'm shamelessly blogging about this game, what's so bad with the english voices? none of them seem bad, even if they just have like 10 people voicing 80% of the characters

maybe I'm just a sucker for kari whalgren narrating stuff

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

darealkooky posted:

the teenage characters make more sense when you remember that you're a conscript militia for a country loosely based on the netherlands

to be fair I'm pretty sure all the actual main characters are 20 or older, which is like 30 in anime years

anyway now that I've actually had a chance to play this game again, I'm reminded of how much this game owns. I played the psp sequels but both of them were missing something, this game just feels like it was made with love while the sequels were made because the first one made a bunch of money.

using the generic soliders and never leveling up or upgrading my gear has made this game way more difficult, scout rushing is impossible because you can't tank interception fire at all with no armor, no hp and no potentials

the first one didn't make much money at all, that's why the sequels are on the PSP (and probably why the outfits in the 2nd game are much skimpier. Gotta rake in that otaku yen).

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I've got balls of steel. Blow it out your rear end!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

darealkooky posted:

if you're looking for another way to challenge yourself try not using orders. it makes class balance a lot better since classes can only do their main roles, no scouts killing tanks

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

darealkooky posted:

while I'm shamelessly blogging about this game, what's so bad with the english voices? none of them seem bad, even if they just have like 10 people voicing 80% of the characters

maybe I'm just a sucker for kari whalgren narrating stuff

They're good

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Nanomashoes posted:

the first one didn't make much money at all, that's why the sequels are on the PSP (and probably why the outfits in the 2nd game are much skimpier. Gotta rake in that otaku yen).

I'm not saying I don't understand why it happened, it was just a huge bummer

vc2 went super light heated wacky military highschool fun kawaii fun times, but the third game goes way too far in the other direction and is equally as lame with all black outfits and oversized spiked melee weapons and the characters are all unlikable assholes, it's like a bad 90's comic book

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

if you're looking for another way to challenge yourself try not using orders. it makes class balance a lot better since classes can only do their main roles, no scouts killing tanks

only order I've been using is retreat because it's the exact same cost as just loving walking someone to a flag and making them retreat

I dunno if orders will really let me cheese tanks when I'm not leveling up or buying better guns, 100 x 0 is still 0

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

SunAndSpring posted:

Nigga has his own tank and volunteered I'm pretty sure hey gets to be whatever he wants. Also he takes all the fags, weirdos, and anime jews into his squad so i'm pretty sure the army just lets him do his own thing

Not that havinv those people in his army is bad, Jann kicks rear end

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Bloody awful English VA though, thank god for Jap voices.

Hahaha, look at this loving scrub. The English voices are fine you loving baby.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

darealkooky posted:

and that welkin only got promoted because he owns a tank.

This isnt it, it has to do with college, his friend mentions it when they meet back up and both are promoted to lt.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
i just love that isara had this tank in the back and welkin had no idea that it there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

are the darcsens supposed to be an allegory for jews or black people?

• Locked thread