Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
so it turns out that this pc port is suffering from the same thing that happened to dark souls, where running the game at 60 fps causes unintended side effects

in this case the only noticeable changes are that supporting fire shoots faster (running scouts past tanks or machine guns is way harder in this version, unless you have full hp + good gear + orders you often straight up can't do it, and this also makes it harder to abuse time stopping when you start aiming, you'll still take some shots most of the time) and also that the tank is harder to move up slopes. both of these things seem to effect both sides (although the tank thing isn't really noticeable because it never happens, the supporting fire buff is nice tho)

scouts and the tank being worse is probably for the best because they were overpowered.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

so that's why i keep getting my rear end kicked and not because of my poorly thought out plans

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol why the gently caress do japanese devs keep tying code directly to the frame rate. and its not even a fighting game or something where it would make sense

Dec 26, 2012

you really dont need to abuse the tank much to get through it. i used it a little for cover against the tank turrets but it wasnt nearly close enough by the time selvaria popped out to use it for that and i got by easily

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

darealkooky posted:

so it turns out that this pc port is suffering from the same thing that happened to dark souls, where running the game at 60 fps causes unintended side effects

in this case the only noticeable changes are that supporting fire shoots faster (running scouts past tanks or machine guns is way harder in this version, unless you have full hp + good gear + orders you often straight up can't do it, and this also makes it harder to abuse time stopping when you start aiming, you'll still take some shots most of the time) and also that the tank is harder to move up slopes. both of these things seem to effect both sides (although the tank thing isn't really noticeable because it never happens, the supporting fire buff is nice tho)

scouts and the tank being worse is probably for the best because they were overpowered.

Hmm. That makes sense.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
This is a nice game, but there are so many cutscenes. I've not played single-player RPG / tactical games for years so I get itchy feet when I have to sit through them for 10 minutes at a time.

Just let me shoot anime Nazi's please. :argh:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
then skip them

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

then skip them

what kind of fake rear end gamer skips cutscenes the first time tru a game

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
I lost count of how many characters Steve Blum voices in this.

Also Captain Varot's chin weirds me out.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Ragg posted:

I hate grinding, also. So I won't be doing any skirmish more than once.

So far the only Skirmish worth doing more than once is the Scout Challenge cause you can get 60k exp and a good rifle for scouts/engineers.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
The looted weapons are very bad. I killed the sniper ace in mission 6 and he dropped the imperial sniper rifle which does more dmg but has half the accuracy of the default rifle

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

the machine guns are good

Dec 26, 2012

Brasseye posted:

The looted weapons are very bad. I killed the sniper ace in mission 6 and he dropped the imperial sniper rifle which does more dmg but has half the accuracy of the default rifle

the shocktrooper weapons are handy but yeah the snipers are pretty worthless

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

I got the loot sniper rifle from Marina's challenge early on. It does the most damage to infantry of any rifle in the game but has poo poo accuracy. Fortunately that is completely offset by the 50x zoom scope so you can just fill the screen with a dude's head.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Why do snipers seem so piss-weak so far (chapter 6)? :smugjones:

Why bother having the aim & zoom system when my snipers just miss 3/4 shots they make? :smugjones:

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
there was a cutscene with some lady who's like "I'm the top GBS reporter!" and I was like lol

rip newsfeed gbs

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Why bother having the aim & zoom system when my snipers just miss 3/4 shots they make? :smugjones:

Better rifles will turn them into killing machines soon enough. Late in the game the only time my snipers ever miss is when they get boned by a negative potential.

Dec 26, 2012

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

take shots at closer targets, basically. they do get more accurate later though

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I dunno, I never had a problem with snipers so long as they were at a decent enough range to cleanly snipe the fuckers in the head.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Better rifles also zoom in further. Marina gets a potential that turns her targeting circle into a dot permanently.

I do gotta give them credit for not making snipers be the overpowered bullshit that they usually are in turn based tactics games, but in doing so they made scouts the overpowered bullshit.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Yeah I've been playing them like snipers, as in actually trying to snipe people halfway across the map, but that's just pointless. I also got sniped by a loving tank when I sat my sniper in one of those watchtowers. Second mission I think, and the tank literally just sniped him with a single shot all the way across the loving map. At least it's really hard for characters to die permanently.

Dec 26, 2012

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Yeah I've been playing them like snipers, as in actually trying to snipe people halfway across the map, but that's just pointless. I also got sniped by a loving tank when I sat my sniper in one of those watchtowers. Second mission I think, and the tank literally just sniped him with a single shot all the way across the loving map. At least it's really hard for characters to die permanently.

the thing ive noticed is that the game often gives you these intentional sniper spots that leave your sniper wide open to get chumped by every rear end in a top hat on the map because they dont have sandbags or whatever and everything has line of sight to them. the ledge in that one desert mission is probably the biggest offender

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

good ways to use snipers:
- because they have no damage fall off for their guns, they are the only class that should even bother trying to shoot at enemies past a specific distance
- they do way more damage than scouts/engineers do against people who are in a sandbag or otherwise crouching and immune to headshots. which gives them a use in situations where you can't get close enough to throw a grenade without dying, don't have rifle grenades and can't get the tank into position
- shooting shocktroopers because they hit this perfect sweetspot where they can shoot outside of return fire range but can still all but guarantee a headshot while at the same range other classes will miss enough to not get a kill most of the time without late game guns.
- getting rid of enemy snipers who basically never miss unless your soldier rolls to dodge and can 2shot your footsoliders, with a strong enough gun you can just bodyshot them all day
- with the overpowered "increase damage to tanks" order snipers are superior to lancers in basically every situation when it comes to shooting things that have radiators

bad ways to use snipers:
- ending them on a watchtower or within lines of sight from tanks in general. they're basically guaranteed to die bc like enemy snipers enemy tanks never miss
- putting them in line of sight of foot soliders who can shoot at them without having to run past supression fire from other units (the AI really hates supression fire and most of the time it will stop the instant it takes even a 1 damage bullet, sometimes it becomes suicidal and will run past your tank and die but w/e)
- running out of ammo because you don't realize how good engineers are and thus can't spend 2/3 CP to roll the dice enough times to guarantee that even with the miss change you kill what you want killed
- wasting shitloads of CP trying to walk them to new parts of the map instead of just teleporting between flags

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

It is a lot like the new XCOM in a way, if you end a turn with a vulnerable unit not completely hidden from the enemies (and in XCOM on Classic/Impossible that's literally everyone) you can expect them to die.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

01011001 posted:

the ledge in that one desert mission is probably the biggest offender

That ledge has a rock wall immediately south that your snipers can use for cover. Just take your shots and run back there after each one. Honestly, if you end the turn with your snipers exposed, you kind of deserve to get bopped.

What bothers me more is that most watchtowers and "nest" areas for snipers have waist-high walls that for whatever reason can't be used as cover. It's sandbags, grass, or you're dead, basically.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

with most watchtowers you can just push the button to drop down and be safe from retaliation so w/e

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I got stuck on mission 7 again -.-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Brasseye posted:

I got stuck on mission 7 again -.-

Stop being such a dumb scrub.

• Locked thread