Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I recently had an extremely spiritual experience that encouraged me to get artistic. I've never written a song before, and I only know basic rhythm guitar. I wanted to write a song for my fiance to tell her how much I love her and would like some feedback.

chord progression is C-G-Am-Em-Dm-Fm(?)-C-C throughout. Strumming pattern I am using is "1 2& &4" throughout. I have no idea how to express the melody simply and my singing is beyond terrible.

The Fm has a question because I am not sure of the name of the chord I am using. Its a first position barre chord - 133111 - from 6th to first is the ordering there.

The Em usually doesn't have a lyric associated:

code:
C G    Am  Em Dm    Fm(?)     C
I Love you    Even  When I'm  Blue
My sappy rear end over the top lyrics so far are:

I love you even when I'm blue
I know its true that you love me too
Your hugs, your kiss teaches me bliss
You brighten my day in ways I can't say
before you go out the door, smile at me once more
cause I love you

Like I said I have never written a song before. I am not a musician, and if I tried to record it to catch the melody I'm using I would become a GBS superstar. If I can find a mic I might record some humming.

Anyone have any feedback on this? I really want it to be passably good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJcyclopz
Feb 16, 2012
I would try C G Am E F C F G

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

jryan42988 posted:

I would try C G Am E F C F G

I like that a lot better, thanks!

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
If you find that your singing is no good you could experiment with a Capo on the 2nd fret or something. Changing the key could mean all the difference and it may be easier on your voice. Kudos to you for writing a song for your fiance that is really sweet.

Death by Cranes
May 3, 2006

These Blockbuster bombs don't go off unless you hit them ju-u-u-u-st right.
Hi there. Sappy and great! You got it :)
jryan42988 has the right idea with C G Am E F C F G.

I don't know where your pitch is, but as a baritone singer I'd be happy to record my take on it; maybe move up and down the octaves.

Actually cut that - I'd go C G Am E / F G C. That would be as loving as it could get. Double F chord is too much F, and not enough variation. 4/3 chord go with your lyrics: I Love you (3-tableau setting) Even (1-bridging) When I'm Blue (3-fading)

Death by Cranes fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 1, 2014

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Try lifting off a finger here and there to see how it sounds - you might not know what the hell chord you're playing exactly, but you can find nice sounds and changes you can add in, and that might inspire you with the vocal melody and fancy bits in the guitar playing

rio
Mar 20, 2008

keyvin posted:

I recently had an extremely spiritual experience that encouraged me to get artistic. I've never written a song before, and I only know basic rhythm guitar. I wanted to write a song for my fiance to tell her how much I love her and would like some feedback.

chord progression is C-G-Am-Em-Dm-Fm(?)-C-C throughout. Strumming pattern I am using is "1 2& &4" throughout. I have no idea how to express the melody simply and my singing is beyond terrible.

The Fm has a question because I am not sure of the name of the chord I am using. Its a first position barre chord - 133111 - from 6th to first is the ordering there.

The Em usually doesn't have a lyric associated:

code:

C G    Am  Em Dm    Fm(?)     C
I Love you    Even  When I'm  Blue

My sappy rear end over the top lyrics so far are:

cause I love you

Like I said I have never written a song before. I am not a musician, and if I tried to record it to catch the melody I'm using I would become a GBS superstar. If I can find a mic I might record some humming.

Anyone have any feedback on this? I really want it to be passably good.

Also try this, because the minor IV chord is so nice (the Fm in your case).

C G Am E F(full barre) Fm(full barre) C G

I think that with the standard chords you are using, that Fm really added some character to the progression. If you can't do the full barre chords yet, it's ok (you can still use the 4 string version); but coming from open E, it will almost always sound better to do to a full F chord than the partial version.

As for the lyrics, don't worry about them. You'll look back either way and laugh, but it's good to try different things that come to mind (like rhyming blue and too) but realize that they might be stereotypical for a while as your brain adjusts to how your thoughts should be placed within certain confines for rhyming and timing with the harmony.

If the melody is not going well while playing, then it means that you are either not comfortable with the melody or the chords. Both have to be really solid on their own to even try combining them. Someone also mentioned a capo; trying different keys is good to find your voice's range. Also try tuning down a half step - Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb makes a lot of songs easier for the male voice.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Your song should always have a hook. Either a lyrical hook (like a clever rhyme, a wise message, an honest admission), or a melodic hook (can be facilitated through a good guitar riff).

Having a hook is really what makes a song memorable, and gives it an identity. Without a hook, the song typically sounds vague and wishy washy, and like a million other budding acoustic singer/songwriters songs that get posted on Youtube.

It takes time and practice, but having faith in what you've written, and singing your song with confidence and conviction is also a valuable skill.

MeatRocket8 fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 3, 2015

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

keyvin posted:

cause I love you

I don't know if you're looking for lyrical advice, but you could try approaching your central idea from another direction. Instead of listing all the reasons you love her when you're blue (she brightens your days etc), list the reasons your life would seem to suck but actually doesn't, because of your lady.

So you could have your verses saying poo poo like "My coffee is bitter / my shoes lost their shine" blah blah and then you get to the twist and you're like "but babe it don't matter / BECAUSE YOU'RE MINE!!!" and then there's a sax solo, that kind of thing.

BTW, dunno what your title is, but "Even When I'm Blue" is nice and intriguing.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Coffee's meant to be bitter, you're sending mixed messages here popcorn!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

baka kaba posted:

Coffee's meant to be bitter, you're sending mixed messages here popcorn!

Oh yeah. How about "pumpkin spice latte"?

• Locked thread