Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rio
Mar 20, 2008

keyvin posted:

I recently had an extremely spiritual experience that encouraged me to get artistic. I've never written a song before, and I only know basic rhythm guitar. I wanted to write a song for my fiance to tell her how much I love her and would like some feedback.

chord progression is C-G-Am-Em-Dm-Fm(?)-C-C throughout. Strumming pattern I am using is "1 2& &4" throughout. I have no idea how to express the melody simply and my singing is beyond terrible.

The Fm has a question because I am not sure of the name of the chord I am using. Its a first position barre chord - 133111 - from 6th to first is the ordering there.

The Em usually doesn't have a lyric associated:

code:

C G    Am  Em Dm    Fm(?)     C
I Love you    Even  When I'm  Blue

My sappy rear end over the top lyrics so far are:

I love you even when I'm blue
I know its true that you love me too
Your hugs, your kiss teaches me bliss
You brighten my day in ways I can't say
before you go out the door, smile at me once more
cause I love you

Like I said I have never written a song before. I am not a musician, and if I tried to record it to catch the melody I'm using I would become a GBS superstar. If I can find a mic I might record some humming.

Anyone have any feedback on this? I really want it to be passably good.

Also try this, because the minor IV chord is so nice (the Fm in your case).

C G Am E F(full barre) Fm(full barre) C G

I think that with the standard chords you are using, that Fm really added some character to the progression. If you can't do the full barre chords yet, it's ok (you can still use the 4 string version); but coming from open E, it will almost always sound better to do to a full F chord than the partial version.

As for the lyrics, don't worry about them. You'll look back either way and laugh, but it's good to try different things that come to mind (like rhyming blue and too) but realize that they might be stereotypical for a while as your brain adjusts to how your thoughts should be placed within certain confines for rhyming and timing with the harmony.

If the melody is not going well while playing, then it means that you are either not comfortable with the melody or the chords. Both have to be really solid on their own to even try combining them. Someone also mentioned a capo; trying different keys is good to find your voice's range. Also try tuning down a half step - Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb makes a lot of songs easier for the male voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread